Celebrity versus Royal Princess

shiphappy

We have sailed almost exclusively on Celebrity and are elite members. Princess's ship, Royal Princess, has a British Isles cruise with the itinerary that we really love next summer. For anyone that has sailed on this ship, what would we like or not like on this ship? I know for one thing, I don't like the size of the ship being so large. I would love to sail Celebrity but the Princess itinerary is so much better. Thanks in advance

Celebrity is our line of choice, we have sailed on S class, M class and on Century. We have tried Princess and regard their older ships as a reasonable second choice if Celebrity doesn't have the itinerary we want.

In August we were persuaded to join other family members on Royal Princess to the Baltic. We were really impressed with the ship and service. For such a large ship it never felt crowded, even on sea days. We had cabins near the stern, so the much discussed elevator problems in the middle were not an issue. The balconies were small, but adequate and the cabins were well laid out with ample storage.

We loved the International Cafe, the pizza restaurant was a good alternative venue for a lighter meal, and the buffet was well laid out and spacious, not too difficult to find a table. We had anytime dining, but being a group of ten, once we found a table with servers we liked the Maître d' reserved it for us every evening, so we never had to wait. We just let him know if we would not be using it. The access to this restaurant was a bit confusing, we had to go up a deck then down again because the kitchen blocked direct access. The food was the best I have had on Princess and desserts were especially good, actually better than Celebrity in my opinion.

Celebrity is still our favourite line, but I would not hesitate to sail on Royal Princess again.

Sheila

Plus: Food was quite good--practically as good as Celebrity. I was surprised because on two prior Princess cruises on other ships the food was either just ok, nothing great or downright horrible (lost 5 pounds on the Saphire and I have a very hard time loosing weight!)

Negatives: (for us)-- very little shade on outside decks. Adult area is nothing great --Celebrity adult area much nicer and included in fare. Lay out is peculiar: Gym on one deck. Steam room and showers on another deck and on other side of ship. Plus only 40 people on board ship can have access to them which is located in the spa. We ran like maniacs to be in the 40 to pay for pass. It was a waste of money as we didn't realize what a pain it would be to get from gym to the spa. Elevators are tiny- takes forever to get one and you are squashed like sardines each time.

We would not go out of our way to be on Royal or its sister ship Regal again. Only if it had the best itinerary over Celebrity or other ships.

I have sailed on the Royal, and honestly would again - or the Regal. I had a wonderful time. The downsides were the small balcony - doable - but the mini-suites had the same small balcony - so unlike other Princess ships. The gym was not great, and I am a total gym person. The weight section was a joke. I did enjoy my TRX classes, and the fitness instructor was wonderful. The staff and service were amazing - better than any Princess ship I have been on. I would sail on her again.

I cruised on the Royal Princess in August. It was a great cruise and I would not hesitate to cruise on the Royal/ Regal again. The Solstice Class ship is still our favorite.

Therefore my advice would be to take the cruise that has the best itinerary for you if it is significant better than sail on the Royal. That is exactly what we did on our Royal Princess Baltic cruise.