beer

ultrarunner

Do they ever have any North American craft beers on the QM departing from NY? If not, What available British beer would be similar to an IPA or Pale Ale? I'm travelling Queens Grill, so could I request (successfully, I hope) to have my mini bar stocked with an American (or Canadian) craft beer? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil

Do they ever have any North American craft beers on the QM departing from NY? ...
Sadly, no. This is what the Golden Lion Pub offered on 4 September 2014: GoldenLionPub7_zps3d2579ba.jpg

But of course you can bring your own on board.

Do they ever have any North American craft beers on the QM departing from NY? If not, What available British beer would be similar to an IPA or Pale Ale? I'm travelling Queens Grill, so could I request (successfully, I hope) to have my mini bar stocked with an American (or Canadian) craft beer? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Phil

are you doing TA or Fall Foliage voyage?

Huge debate as to what actually is meant by a craft beer in the UK. There is a significant movement in the UK campaigning to protect Real Ale. In reality I think the terms Real Ale and Craft beer are fairly interchangeable. Old Thumper on the Cunard menu is a beer made by a relatively small, brewery in England, using quality ingredients and traditional processes. It most definitely is not made in such great quantities that it would not be classed as a Craft beer in the US. American Craft beers are beginning to penetrate the UK market but on the whole I would see them as being premium lagers rather than ales. British Real Ale is traditionally hand pumped (no gas is used to pump them) so people may find them to be quite flat compared with a larger. Sadly Cunard don't offer any hand pumped Real Ales. Old Speckled Hen is a good English Ale but is sadly pumped using gas onboard, in UK pubs it would be hand pumped and taste great for it, but this results in a short shelf life and quality control issues if it isn't looked after perfectly. The bottled real ales are also a little more fizzy than they would be if they were hand pumped in an English pub and as such are highly reminiscent of American Craft Beers. London Pride and Old Thumper would definitely satisfy a craft beer drinker. Old Thumper is most definitely a craft beer in every sense as it has a low volume production and is produced from high quality natural ingredients. London Pride and Old Speckled Hen are both craft ales but large volume craft ales, although probably not made to as large a volume as some of the U.S. Craft ales we receive in England. Just please stay away from Boddingtons or John Smiths, these are definitely not craft ales or real ales. Sadly they are not reminiscent of the original real ales on which the brands take their name. Mass produced and have a chemical taste, some people love them but if you like craft ales I'd be shocked if you did.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Gazroberts80

Pedigree is brewed by Marstons in Burton upon Trent using the Burton Union method of brewing which is large interlinked wooden barrels & it is a Real Ale Beer & the bottled Beer is Conditioned in the Bottle That's why it needs to settle before serving.

I.P.A was 1st Brewed in London by the Bow Brewery which then became Hodkinsons & then Allsops & then Ind Coop Allsops, It has the name India Pale Ale because Hodkinsons Brewed it for the East India Company who exported it to India, Bass copied the brew & exported it to Russia/ Canada/America.

In the US there's a tendency for small brewers to over-hop their beer for my taste, but I'll take a good ale from a local brewery long before I'll willingly drink a Budweiser.

Well said! Personally, I have recently acquired a taste for Belgians, but still enjoy a well crafted beer/ale.

The TA crossing will limit you to what is on board; the voyages that do New England & Canada have great craft breweries all in walking distance to where the ship docks. I recall Halifax and Boston even have pub crawls to try local brews. And I don't mean Sam Adams :rolleyes:

I think they have an IPA available in cans or bottles on board QM2 which my husband had a few times, but that was about it. As for anything on draft....out of luck! You'll see some nice selections and imports on draft but if you're looking for Flying Dog Seeing Double IPA or Stone Arrogant Bastard or Self-Righteous.....well you're out of luck :( Sorry!