Valor balcony worth it?

sunbird21

I've gotten a bit of extra $$$ from work, and am considering upgrading to a balcony from an inside porthole cabin. I'm traveling solo- I don't care so much about the space, just have always wanted a balcony. It's about $400 more than what I paid. So, is it worth it or should I stick with the porthole and spend money elsewhere? I'm not planning on any major excursions in port other than St Lucia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've gotten a bit of extra $$$ from work, and am considering upgrading to a balcony from an inside porthole cabin. I'm traveling solo- I don't care so much about the space, just have always wanted a balcony. It's about $400 more than what I paid. So, is it worth it or should I stick with the porthole and spend money elsewhere? I'm not planning on any major excursions in port other than St Lucia.

It's worth it. I had my first 5 cruises inside or oceanview. The last 2 and one upcoming have been in balconies and I can honestly say it's an entirely different experience. I will never sail again without a balcony. It is so peaceful to just sit out on the balcony and look at the water, read a book and hear the ocean. Order room service in the morning and have yur breakfast on the balcony - pure heaven.

I also think you have to consider how much time you will be in your cabin. Since you are sailing to St Lucia on the Valor, you are on a cruise with many ports and only 1 sea day. You have to decide if the extra cost is worth it. How much time will you be in port and how much time on the balcony? A lot of time you are awake you will be in port.

Sharon

We love the benefits of our small slice of "deck space". With that being said we also love the experience of cruising. Since it would be an experience that you have not had before but said you wanted to try out I would say yes, give it a go.

The only hesitation I have in my recommendation is presented by your first responder. Do you feel it is a benefit you would use/enjoy? (and there will be your answer)

Our last cruise was in a cabin with floor to ceiling windows but no balcony. I was hesitant as it would be a first without a balcony and it would be okay. Well, I did miss the balcony even though we don't spend a lot of time on it. We like to get up and have coffee on the balcony as the ship is pulling into port. At night we enjoy just looking out over the dark ocean, so peaceful. Just having the access to fresh air at any time or just taking an afternoon nap. I don't know how close to sailing you are, but perhaps the price will go down after final payment and you could grab it for less! If it's just "extra" cash and you want more of a choice of cabins, do it!! :D

On all of our prior cruises we have jumped around between OV and balcony not necessarily having a strong preference for one or the other.

So on our Valor cruise we had originally booked an OV figuring the itinerary was so port intensive we wouldn't use the balcony enough to warrant the upgrade. Especially since we don't spend a huge amount of time in our cabin. But at the last minute we decided to upgrade to balcony. And you know what - it was after that cruise that we decided we will ALWAYS have a balcony from here forward!

It definitely is a different experience being able to walk out that door, instead of heading up to the deck, in order to enjoy and experience being on the water. Sometimes it was only for a few minutes and other times for extended periods. Sail away (from each port) was the most amazing time being out there, when everyone else is also out on their balcony and you are all experiencing a similar experience but in relative privacy. You can hear and feel the excitement from the other balcony passengers. It sounds lame and it's sort of hard to explain, but you will understand once you experience it. Do it!!! You will not regret it.

If you've always wanted to try a balcony, then this itinerary would be the perfect one to do just that. Try to get one on the Starboard Side of the ship and make sure you get up early to see the Pitons from your balcony when arriving in St Lucia. All of these islands are beautiful, and seeing the sunrise while entering each port from your balcony will be worth the additional cost.

If you've always wanted to try a balcony, then this itinerary would be the perfect one to do just that. Try to get one on the Starboard Side of the ship and make sure you get up early to see the Pitons from your balcony when arriving in St Lucia. All of these islands are beautiful, and seeing the sunrise while entering each port from your balcony will be worth the additional cost.

If you only get one balcony in your life, this is one to do it one. Every island is different & watching as you come in or leave port is amazing. Some of our best pictures were taken from the balcony. And to be able to step outside before bed & just look at the stars, take in the sea air it is worth it for that alone.

Do it! Once you go balcony.... you'll never go back!!!

Bob

Agreed! We find ourselves relaxing on our balcony frequently; enjoying morning coffee, reading a book, arriving or leaving port, and watching for pier runners. We won't cruise without a balcony after experiencing the other room types. The Pitons are worth the $400 for the view!

Our first cruise was an inside cabin. It was nice because we had 5 different ports in 7 days, not a lot of time in the cabin. Then we went on a cruise that had 3 sea days and we had a balcony.

Now every cruise we go on we get a balcony. Its so nice to be out there to enjoy the sea. We have our breakfast on the balcony every morning.

I say go for it.

As a solo cruiser (and I too am one), stick with your original plan. Save the breezes, watching stars, room service etc till there's a WE cruising. Most people are pushing balcony, because they aren't solo. I'm not denying balconies are great, but I think it's a waste of money when you go solo, unless it's something you really really want.

most people saying balcony are also people who have a few sea days.

The Valor is port intensive. You will be off the ship more then on it.

Save the money and use it on the ports.

when you are back on the ship you will be getting ready for dinner, dining, doing shows and early to bed because the next day is an early day.

Edited by serene56

As a solo cruiser (and I too am one), stick with your original plan. Save the breezes, watching stars, room service etc till there's a WE cruising. Most people are pushing balcony, because they aren't solo. I'm not denying balconies are great, but I think it's a waste of money when you go solo, unless it's something you really really want.

Wow something we agree on. who would have thought;)

Thank you all for the advice! Still debating but I think I am going to go for it. I'm sailing in two weeks, so I think the price is what it is.

For the ppl who recommended waiting b/c I was solo, I appreciate the opinion, but im 35, and I think as my time dwindles down for there to be a WE, I'd rather not waste any more of my life waiting to have or do certain things just b/c I'm not with someone. I think a solo is just as deserving of a balcony as a couple, family, relatives,friends,etc. I get your suggestion, but if I'm going to wait to get a balcony for when I have someone to share it with, I may never get that chance.

I realize it's a port intensive cruise, and yes,more sea days would be ideal(though I may use St Maarten as one) but I like the idea of falling asleep to the sound of the waves, eating breakfast each morning on the balcony, and would probably spend about an hour or so each day on it. I like the view ideas,too. Thanks again for all of your input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you can afford it, treat yourself. On our last cruise, we did a balcony for the first time, and I am afraid I will never be able to go back to interior. Yes, the experience on the rest of the ship is the same, but sleeping on the balcony one night was absolutely the highlight of our vacation for me. Worth the cost for that alone. Most importantly, whatever you decide, enjoy your cruise.

sent from my kindle fire HD using tapatalk