Venice water taxi

Yes, all 8 will fit in a water taxi with luggage. Our cost for 8 from a San Marco hotel to the ship's pier was 90 euros. Don't know the cost from the airport to the hotel but I suspect it will be over 100 euros.

For a group this size, the water taxi is economically efficient and the only way to go in my opinion.

My daughter and I alone from the airport on the bus followed by a long vaporetto ride was 19 euros as they even charged for luggage on the vaporetto.

We used the water taxi from the airport to San Marcos Sq about five years ago and it cost us $75. It doesn't come cheap and is probably more now.

Pat

Last year from the hotel to the airport is was 85€

We used the water taxi from the airport to our hotel and it was 105e. It will fit 8 and it was really fun. They handle all the luggage and pull right up to your hotel.

When we needed to board the ship - Celebrity has transportation from San Marco to the ship and it is free.

We took a water taxi from Locanda Orseolo to the ship. I believe the charge was 75 E for 6 people with quite a bit of luggage. Have you stayed at Locanda Orseolo before? We absolutely loved it and would never stay anywhere else. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

On the water taxi - you buy your tickets at the both inside the airport. I think you can grab the shuttle bus to take you to the pier - we walked and it was a little bit of a walk with all the lugguge.

For the Celebrity shuttle - our hotel was at calle vallaresso and we had to walk over one bridge towards san marco and that is where the shuttle was. So if you look at the map it is the "dock" just slightly east of San Marco/Calle Vallaresso. We also carried our bags but we should of had the hotel porter take them over.

The shuttle seemed to be running all the time and they had a Celebrity employee holding a sign.

Have fun!

We took a water taxi from Locanda Orseolo to the ship. I believe the charge was 75 E for 6 people with quite a bit of luggage. Have you stayed at Locanda Orseolo before? We absolutely loved it and would never stay anywhere else. Have a wonderful cruise.

Joan

We've never stayed there before, but after reading the wonderful reviews here and on tripadvisor, we just had to stay there after the cruise. There will be at least 8 of us from the roll call, so we should have a great time!

We were at Locana Orseolo at the beginning of August & paid 70 euros for a water taxi to the pier. There were 4 of us with luggage. The hotel will call the water taxi for you & it's fun to climb out of their "water window" into the taxi. You are staying at the best place in Venice!

I forgot to mention that the price I quoted was charged 3 weeks ago.

Systermom, check your roll call. You should be able to find at least another couple to share a water taxi with since the Locanda is fairly popular on this board.

We are going on the Millenium next summer and want to stay pre-cruise in Venice at this hotel which is so often recommended on these boards. I cannot find a reference to this hotel in any Italy guidebook that we have looked at. Does anybody have their web address or a direct way to contact them so we can make a reservation? Does anyone know their daily rate for a standard room?

Thanks for your input in advance

Shystermom...DH and I will share a watertaxi with you. We're staying two nights post-cruise at Locanda. Will you be attending the CC party onboard? We can meet up then and make plans. We're leaving next Tuesday night to stay two extra nights in Barcelona. It's fast approaching.:)

Lynn

What fun, finding you on this board! I think I'm sharing with you and MikeyAr in Florence Rome & Athens private tours? Anyway, yes, I will be at the CC party, if I could only find out when and where. How fabulous for you that you get two days in Barcelona pre-trip. You'll be well over jet-lag unlike me & my DH who are landing 8 a.m. Barcelona time the day of debarkation after a night flight from JFK. We have early seating and are attending Friday night services on the ship.

Our friends flew in to Barcelona from JFK last year on the same cruise. The Celebrity rep met them at the airport, they boarded the bus and then got about a 2 hour bus tour around Barcelona because they were so early. Hope you get the same treatment this year. We're planning on arriving around 11:30 and hopefully don't have to wait too long to board. We'll grab something to eat and head back out and take a walk around the port area. I don't think we find out about the CC party details until we board the ship. Think they leave a note in your room about time and location. No, it isn't us joining you on the tours...someone else. We took early seating as well because we aren't keen on eating late. Hopefully tours will get us back in time, but if not, that's why we took a verandah this time so we could order room service for dinners on the nights we're rushed. We don't attend any services. We'll meet up at the party and plan for Venice...how depressing having to plan for the end of the trip. See you next week. Can't believe it's almost here!

Lynn

Those of you with experience with the water taxis and vaporetti -- do you know what the prices would be from the Train station down to Vallaresso, near St. Mark's? There are four of us plus luggage, and we're taking the train in from Florence. Should we share a water taxi, or can we save a lot on Vaporetto?

Is your hotel on a canal? Ours was and we chose to take a water taxi from the airport directly to the hotel. The charge for that was 90E but it would be less from the train station. If you take a vaporetto, you may have to lug your luggage over bridges to get to your hotel. There are porters at San Marco but I've heard that they charge about 50E to transport your luggage to your hotel. Check with your hotel as to how far from the vaporetto stop they are and how many bridges you'd need to cross.

Joan

We are booked at the locanda orseolo hotel pre cruise. I know that it has a dock on the canal and it is very close to St Mark's square...it says "only steps from St. Mark's Square"....but how do you get there? Does it have an entrance/exit that you can walk to the Square??? Or do you have to take a water taxi to the Square? And do you remember where the closest water taxi stop is?

Does it include breakfast, as so many of these hotels seem to do? If not, suggestions for early morning breakfast spots?

The hotel sounds wonderful!

We are booked at the locanda orseolo hotel pre cruise. I know that it has a dock on the canal and it is very close to St Mark's square...it says "only steps from St. Mark's Square"....but how do you get there? Does it have an entrance/exit that you can walk to the Square??? Or do you have to take a water taxi to the Square? And do you remember where the closest water taxi stop is?

Does it include breakfast, as so many of these hotels seem to do? If not, suggestions for early morning breakfast spots?

The hotel sounds wonderful!

Locanda Orseolo does not have a dock on the canal - water taxis pick you up and deliver you right to a big window into the dining room - neat! You only need to use the water taxi going to and from the airport or ship with lots of luggage. That's the canal side of the hotel.

The lobby side enters into a courtyard that leads to a walkway that leads directly to St. Marks - only about a block. You do have to walk over a bridge. Fine to do without luggage, but a pain with luggage (and the porters from St. Marks cost almost as the water taxi). We walked all over Venice right from the hotel, and caught vaporettos from St. Marks or the Rialto Bridge (also within walking distance) to take longer trips along the Grand Canal and to Lido Beach (can also go to Murano, Burano).

You'll love the hotel. The best accomodation we've had in Europe in many trips. They do provide a wonderful full breakfast and will custom cook for you. Wish we were going back there!!

FLJudi

I agree with FlJudi about Locanda Orseolo. It is such a wonderful place and the breakfasts are great. Mateo makes a chocolate crepe that is amazingly good. He makes lemon crepes also if you're not a chocoholic. Have one for me.

Joan

I wish I could experience the Locanda Orseolo. I tried to get a reservation pre-cruise for OCTOBER 2006 and they were completely booked. :(

Write them a note and ask again - last year around this time we tried to make a reservation for October 2005, and they mistakenly told us the were booked. It turned out they thought we ment October 2004. When we asked if that could have been the case, they checked and, indeed, had availability!

Good luck!

Fran

Archived