Do people realize just how good these deals are?

Bruin Steve

This is why I'm doing b2b2b cruises on the Caribbean Princess in October for 14nts (5/5/4). With inside rates for a solo from $398+tax and $400obc on the first two legs and $300 OBC credit on the 3rd sailing (plus FCC & Shareholder OBC) they are practically paying me to go!

My total cruise fare (excluding taxes) is $1194 + $258.90 in taxes ($1452.90) and I have $1325 in OBC :D. That means 14 days onboard costs me only $127.90 +$161 in gratuities ($288.90 total) before discretionary spending. that's only $20/day for lodging, three meals and entertainment. I literally can't afford to stay home :D

I'm doing same thing in November with solo cabin and multiple cruises. My DH and DS also have their own cabins. In addition to the $400 pp plus FCC plus Shareholder OBC, I am also veteran and get another $50 per cruise for that. My cabin costs $495 per cruise and I have over $500 in OBC's per cruise. I also get to Elite with the second cruise of the three.

My wife and I have cruised many times on Princess, have been Platinum level for several years, moving toward Elite.

I have to say that currently we are lookin at cruise options for 2014 and I am shocked at how much the prices have gone up. Cruising has always been an economical way to vacation but in 2014, we are not happy with the fares that are being offered for some of our favorite itineraries...

So even though a lot of people are praising the perceived low cost of cruising, we are seeing the increase in cost going up at a dramatic rate...

...So even though a lot of people are praising the perceived low cost of cruising, we are seeing the increase in cost going up at a dramatic rate...

Most of us getting great deals are sailing on Caribbean and Baja coastal trips. Princess is practically giving some of those away. You are correct, though, that some itineraries have had large fare increases.

The cruise lines are using yield management like the airlines. They jump fares where they can, and slash them where they have to in order to fill ships.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

And thank goodness for price drops.... Hawaii is now booked. Will spend Thanksgiving at sea but will have to spend one day at Ensenada. Last time there they were giving bottles of wine to anyone who was on the wine tour. Can I get lucky this time. OP Steve knows his stuff. Tim

Most of us getting great deals are sailing on Caribbean and Baja coastal trips.

Yes. These are the "Getaway" cruises and are generally 3 or 4 days long. They are also cost effective only for residents who live close to the ports since, in some cases, air fare would be more than the cost of the cruise, depending on where someone lives.

Okay...So I just made my final payment for our November 23 sailing of the Golden Princess...

The cruise itinerary isn't all that exciting...We're going from LA down to Ensenada and back...

BUT, everyone likes to get away from home for a nice weekend every now and then...

Considering we're paying only $668 for a balcony cabin (that's including taxes and fees!)--and $200 of that comes back as OBC--which will cover tips, our wine tour in Ensenada and a couple of drinks each...We're are "carpooling" to the pier... which means half a parking charge, we're enjoying 3 nights for under $700 TOTAL...

Yes, we are fortunate that we live within an hour of port, so we don't have to pay for abny airfare or extra transportation or hotel charges...

But, let's compare this to going for any typical three night "getaway weekend"...

If, instead, we wanted to go to, say, San Diego or Santa Barbara or Palm Springs or Lake Arrowhead for three nights (typical weekend getaways for LA area residents), we'd be paying:

--San Diego (We're actually going there in early October): The Marriott on Mission Bay is costing us $233 and change (inc. taxes) per night...So, $700 right there...

--Santa Barbara: The Hyatt is a moderately priced (for Santa Barbara) $180 per night for the same dates as our cruise...So, $540 just for the hotel...

--Palm Springs: Hilton Palm Springs...on a pay now rate...inc. taxes is $686 for the 3 nights...

--Lake Arrowhead: Lake Arrowhead Resort--$198 and change per night on a nonrefundable rate...So $595 for three nights...

Yeah, there are some cheaper hotels in some of these places...more expensive ones too...I was just using these as representative of where we would be likely to stay...

So, between $540 and $700 just for three nights' lodging... Then we'd have to drive between 150 and 300 miles plus driving in and around the area...so, add about $50 just for gas, not even worrying about wear and tear, parking charges, etc...or risk of traffic tickets or accidents...So, that typical weekend getaway is now $590 to $750--say, we're averaging $670 without even EATING or any entertainment or attraction fees...NOW, try EATING for three days for two people for $30!!

Heck, if we just stayed AT HOME and drove to modest restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days...and, maybe went out for some moderately priced entertainment for three nights--say a movie...we'd likely spend close to that $700!

So, at these prices, we're getting a relaxing, low stress cruise...We're eating very nice...with great service. We get activities onboard the ship all day and shows and other entertainment options well into the night...We get a nice wine tour during the one port stop. Aside from the drive to the port and back, we don't have to hassle with any logistics...We'll have a nice balcony cabin with a pleasant ocean view...

If we paid MORE (say $670 plus $150 per day for three meals for two--so $1120 total--before ANY entertainment)...We'd be sitting by a hotel pool most of the day...we'd be dealing with where to go to dinner, then trying to be conservative in ordering so as to not overspend that budget...Then we'd be going back to the hotel room after dinner and watching TV...

For some of the prices they are offering now, how does anyone NOT take a cruise?

Shhhhh! Don't give away our secret. Princess reads this.

Yes. These are the "Getaway" cruises and are generally 3 or 4 days long. They are also cost effective only for residents who live close to the ports since, in some cases, air fare would be more than the cost of the cruise, depending on where someone lives.

The Caribbean ones are 4 or 5 nights, mostly 5.

In case you missed it, there are a couple 5-nighters RT from LA with overnights in Cabo in November 2015. The fares are reasonable (but not giveaways) at this point. Hope Cabo has recovered from the hurricane by then.

I saw that. :) Problem is I'll be on the 50th Anniversary cruise in December, so I don't think I can talk DH into another one that close in date. I am confident Cabo will be back to normal soon. They need the tourist dollars, so I expect they will do everything to speed things along.

<<snip>>

For some of the prices they are offering now, how does anyone NOT take a cruise?

AGREED!

Even if you need to travel to a port, flight costs (if you're staying on the same side of the country) are nominal.

Is almost a crime how cheap things are!

Of course we realize it, but unfortunately we live in the middle of Nebraska, which takes much of the value away, (flights, hotel, etc.) plus my husband's business is so busy in the fall it makes it tough to get away.

Now, if they'll do some deals like this during the winter, hooray! People who live near a port really have an advantage for cruising.

You are so right, Nebraska. Some people don't know how lucky they are. We are in South Dakota, and I can't find any cruise lines stopping here!!!:p

Well, I for one realize how great these deals are and booked one of them yesterday! Hubby and I are going on a 5-nt. on the Ruby Nov. 3, $199 pp inside AND $200 pp OBC. You read that right, cabin price before taxes/fees is $398, OBC is $400!!! Just couldn't pass it up. I told my daughter about it and she and her hubby booked it too. Thanks, Princess!!!

Yes, we saw those prices & wanted to go but the g/f has no more vacation time so we have to pass on those great rates. We usually do balconies but for a great rate of $199pp inside, we would do the inside for 5 days & do the balconies for longer voyages.

Yes, we saw those prices & wanted to go but the g/f has no more vacation time so we have to pass on those great rates. We usually do balconies but for a great rate of $199pp inside, we would do the inside for 5 days & do the balconies for longer voyages.

Were those prices on Princess web site or other web site?

Were those prices on Princess web site or other web site?

We got an email from Princess a few days ago, so it was on the Princess web site when we looked them up. Probably the quickest way to see any great rates is to go to the Princess main page & click on Cruise Deals plus remember to sign on to the web site. Some will be there under Cruise Deals but I have seen some other great rates by selecting the region Princess is selling the reduced rates for & you may see some additional cruises at the same rates.

Thr prices are great. We just got back from a B2B on Caribbean Princess. All i will say is: "You get what you pay for".

That's exactly what I thought of my last cruise on Caribbean.

Didn't cost much. Wasn't worth much. Don't need to do it again.

It was exactly like cruising in the first couple weeks of december,

when prices are really low. Everyone onboard is a huge bargain

hunter, and there are lots of retirement village groups from florida.

On carribbean, 2pm on a sunny sea day in the carribbean -- there

were lounge chairs next to the pool available!!!!

I don't know why -- maybe some fresh oatmeal had been brought

out in the lido...

...as opposed to say a New Year's eve cruise, where everyone has

paid a lot, and it really there to have a good time!