Burnie,Tassie. What to do for the day ?

Johhno

Mic, did you ring or book online for the hire car. I am having trouble getting any joy online with several companies for our Feb trip. They can't all be booked this far out? Last time we were at Hobart we wandered around and got a hire car at about 11am thinking we would have no hope.

Mic, did you ring or book online for the hire car. I am having trouble getting any joy online with several companies for our Feb trip. They can't all be booked this far out? Last time we were at Hobart we wandered around and got a hire car at about 11am thinking we would have no hope.

I did it online but rang to confirm the type of vehicle (8 seater mini van) that I wanted was definitely available.:D

This is a very similar to what I used, where it compares and prices all the car rental places in a particular area. I then also go direct to see what discounts may be applied (NRMA,FF, etc):D

Edited by MicCanberra

I have a booking for a sedan with Hertz for our upcoming visit. I was unable to make the booking online and had to resort to the telephone.;)

When we visited we hired a car through Thrifty at Burnie (we rang them directly). You are taken by shuttle to the visitor information centre (you have to use the shuttle to exit and enter the working port), thrifty had our car waiting there.

We drove west Along the coast, and called into a few beaches along the way and headed to Stanley and had morning tea at a quaint little cafe, it is very English there, we then took a chairlift up the nut. Well worth it, we then drove to the "Highfields House" which the locals will happily direct you to, and took in the beautiful views back to the "Nut" http://www.stanleytasmania.com.au/index.html we then drove back to Stanley and went to a waterfall, (we followed an itinerary of HAL's). Well worth going to Stanley. Also a lot of fields of flowers we drove through.

I wouldn't attempt to do anymore, as that was plenty to do for the day.

Good links and info everyone, thanks. Just a question, the Burnie Airport is a fair distance away as I see it on Google maps? I couldn't get a car hire result for Burnie itself, just the airport, but would they be having some cars available at the offices close to the port area?

The tour idea is still on our option list too, thanks. :)

When we visited we hired a car through Thrifty at Burnie (we rang them directly). You are taken by shuttle to the visitor information centre (you have to use the shuttle to exit and enter the working port), thrifty had our car waiting there.

QUOTE]

Sorry! didn't see this when I wrote the previous post, I had the screen open looking at all the other posts. A call to Thrifty gave us the information that they are not at Burnie any more? Maybe the call centre didn't know much about how it works there.

We obviously need to do more research on a week day. The reason we try to do stuff online on the weekend is that ringing during work gets awkward as my customers don't think I should be on the phone when they want my instant attention! :p

QUOTE]

Sorry! didn't see this when I wrote the previous post, I had the screen open looking at all the other posts. A call to Thrifty gave us the information that they are not at Burnie any more? Maybe the call centre didn't know much about how it works there.

We obviously need to do more research on a week day. The reason we try to do stuff online on the weekend is that ringing during work gets awkward as my customers don't think I should be on the phone when they want my instant attention! :p

Don't you just hate it when work gets in the way of holiday planning.:D

QUOTE]

The car hire businesses are really small in Burnie, they work from the airport, but also service the cruise industry by having rental cars at the tourist info centre (which was built because of the cruise industry). Yes give them a call during business hours (I just goolged them and they came up). Maybe they have gone, as Burnie is doing it really tough. When we were there and on the bus back to the ship the driver was talking about how one American tourist spent just over $100 on lingerie at a small business. The town really appreciates the business that the cruise industry brings.

Whilst it is true that the Rental Cars have offices at the airport, Hertz has a downtown office at 85 Mount Street. I have picked up a sedan in the past from this location and will be doing it again soon. It is about a 15 minute walk from where the shuttle buses drop you off.

Whilst it is true that the Rental Cars have offices at the airport, Hertz has a downtown office at 85 Mount Street. I have picked up a sedan in the past from this location and will be doing it again soon. It is about a 15 minute walk from where the shuttle buses drop you off.

This is my plan also.:D