Venice to Port

Cruisingalong2012

There are many ways that you can do this, either taxi from the air port, or water taxi which is expensive. There is also a bus that goes from the airport.

You can also pre-book a taxi, just look up shuttle to port in Venice and you will come up with quit a few.

Also go onto the Venice airport web site and they have suggestions on there.

Can anyone tell me which is the best way to get to the port in Venice from the Airport

It depends on what you mean by best. Most cost effective or easiest?

It also depends on your mobility level and tolerance for walking.

Having just been there here's what I'd do. Keep in mind I like to keep transfers cheap, but I'm not going to drag luggage around trains, regular city buses etc.

I took the bus from the airport to the Piazzale Roma. This is not like a regular city bus. They are more like a coach style bus with space for luggage underneath. Similar to what you would be in if you bought an Oceania transfer. You get tickets inside the airport. They will recommend the best bus for you to take. There is one that is a direct route without stops, this is the one you want. Cost for this is 6 euro each.

When you get to the Piazzale Roma go to the People Mover, cost a couple euro or less each. Get off at the first stop, this is the port stop. Follow the signs to your ship. You might have to walk 15 or 20 minutes. It actually feels good after a long flight. We did this with 2 rolling suitcases each and a personal item. It was a breeze. The hardest part was dealing with the suitcases on the escalator, next time I'd take the elevator.

The link below has a good description of the People Mover with pictures.

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/people-mover-to-marittima-cruise-terminals.htm

Or you could just get a private water taxi for about 110 euro.

Edited by ORV

Can anyone tell me which is the best way to get to the port in Venice from the Airport

The water taxi from baggage claim at the airport. you avoid all the hassle, the gypsies and take a cruise down the grand canal , under the Rialto and up into the cruise terminal. Just the 2 of you in a polished cruiser, with lace drapes and a private cabin.......isn't this what you came for?

Rationalize this, your spending $5 to$10 K for a cruise and you want to savenever$80??.... Do this in style and even more if you have never been to Venice or Italy..... There is only one time you will ever go there for the first time !!!

MAKE IT A MEMORY.... not a budget squeeze....you only get one chance

We've only done the journey in the opposite direction. The people mover and the airport coach from Piazzale Roma are both quick, cheap and efficient. The big problem IMO is that the port authorities have made it an exercise in frustration to get to the ship from the people mover (think monorail).

From the people mover you have to walk around the perimeter of a large car park then follow signs to your ship. We were on Riviera in August. When we got there we had to walk the whole length of the ship, enter the customs shed, pass through customs, go up an escalator and then walk back the length of the ship to get on board. There is nothing attractive about the terminal and no shade from the sun. We were on board overnight so we made the trip 3 times. Although a shuttle bus was advertised we never saw one.

Leaving the ship at disembarkation we trundled our cases to the people mover quite briskly as it was relatively cool. Coming the other way had been a real chore in the heat. If you're at the end of a long journey I wouldn't recommend it unless you're feeling fit.

Two years ago on disembarking Regatta we used a limo service that picked us up from the quayside and took us to the airport in no time. That was a very easy transfer.

This time I found the port layout so frustrating that I decided to fly in and out in future rather than cruise in.

it also depends on your ship. Usually the smaller R ships dock at San Basilio which does not connect to the people mover at the stazione maritima - main dock area for the bigger ships. A regular land taxi would be your most convenient way there unless you want a LONG walk with luggage.

• 3 weeks later...