Ever Been Bumped From A Handicap Cabin? Advice Needed!

surfjock27

they are not allowed to ask you that by law. Im surprised to hear that.

I do know if you do not have a letter on file-- then you can be bumped with no notification.

we bumped someone out of the 4J - deck 7 a few years back-- and they were bumped to deck 3. How do I know? his luggage came to our room with the room number and the cabin steward came to collect it. We asked = he said (which i dont think he shoulda done but----

So Carnival is not allowed to ask if you need it?? I can understand that they couldn't ask why, but to ask a yes or no question would not seem to be illegal to me. Just wondering.

So Carnival is not allowed to ask if you need it?? I can understand that they couldn't ask why, but to ask a yes or no question would not seem to be illegal to me. Just wondering.

they are not allowed to ask if you need a handicapped cabin. They can ask you to fill out paperwork for that cabin

Why are you blaming the poster? Carnival is the one that made it available for booking by the general public. You ought to tell them not to do it. Of course, if they can only put people needing an accessible cabin that particular cabin, then it will probably require a premium above and beyond what the rate otherwise would be.

Also, the handicap stall is a perfect example. It is designed for use by handicapped people, but it is still perfectly usable by the general public. You should allow a handicapped person to use it, but if it is unused it is open for anyone to use.

Thank you for saying all of this. I don't understand the moral judgements! I booked an available cabin. They ended up needing it for someone else and I got bumped. I'm not complaining, I was warned that it might happen.

Thank you for saying all of this. I don't understand the moral judgements! I booked an available cabin. They ended up needing it for someone else and I got bumped. I'm not complaining, I was warned that it might happen.

Now if you got on here complaining about being bumped by someone who needed the cabin or how you weren't giving up to someone in need, then yes you would be scum. ;)

But Carnival made it available and you booked it by choice or your TA/PVP/whoever put you there? That hardly makes you lower than pond scum.

Now if you got on here complaining about being bumped by someone who needed the cabin or how you weren't giving up to someone in need, then yes you would be scum. ;)

But Carnival made it available and you booked it by choice or your TA/PVP/whoever put you there? That hardly makes you lower than pond scum.

I totally agree! :p Actually, I'm tickled pink, getting a balcony cabin for the first time in a decade :D (((hugs)))

they are not allowed to ask if you need a handicapped cabin. They can ask you to fill out paperwork for that cabin

They can't ask you a yes or no question but they can ask you to fill out a form. Maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains that a person in an HC cabin does not have to provide proof that they need it (at least as I understand the law). Someone answering a question or filling out a form is not proving anything.

My sister and I booked an inside guarantee on the spirit last year only about 4 - 5 weeks before sailing.

We weren't given our cabin allocation until checking in and discovered when we got to our room it was a HC room.

Not a problem for us but I felt so guilty all the time being seen walking in and out, a bit like someone using a disabled parking space when I shouldn't.

I always did however use the disabled toilets when out with my son when he was past the age to be "acceptable" coming to the ladies with me and me not feeling comfortable him going to the gents on his own.

They ask if you need it. If you say yes they move on. At least that is my understanding. No proof required. (Not that I am condoning anyone taking a HC that doesn't need it, I wouldn't take one on a bet.)

It's odd that all three times I booked a H/C cabin, within a day I received an email from Special Needs with a form to be filled out. Since I have a scooter it is no problem filling out the form. I keep hearing how people not needing one booked it anyway and never were asked for anything but sure don't understand it.

They can't ask you a yes or no question but they can ask you to fill out a form. Maybe, maybe not, but the fact remains that a person in an HC cabin does not have to provide proof that they need it (at least as I understand the law). Someone answering a question or filling out a form is not proving anything.

My feeling is no form received back, no H/C cabin for them until all cabins have been released. When I book 11-13 months out just so I can have a H/C on the deck I prefer, it would be upsetting to discover someone booked what I was looking for during one the same time period who only wanted the "larger cabin or bathroom".

It's odd that all three times I booked a H/C cabin, within a day I received an email from Special Needs with a form to be filled out. Since I have a scooter it is no problem filling out the form. I keep hearing how people not needing one booked it anyway and never were asked for anything but sure don't understand it.

My feeling is no form received back, no H/C cabin for them until all cabins have been released. When I book 11-13 months out just so I can have a H/C on the deck I prefer, it would be upsetting to discover someone booked what I was looking for during one the same time period who only wanted the "larger cabin or bathroom".

If they ask people to fill out a form that's fine with me, but if someone really wants the cabin they can fill out the form in the affirmative and no one will be the wiser. The PP I was responding to mentioned "proof" and my understanding is they cannot ask for "proof", similar to when someone brings a service dog onboard.

My only experience with an HC cabin was on NCL and we had reserved a guarantee cabin, so evidently no one had booked it when it came time to assign the cabins. I no longer book guarantee cabin rates and would not knowingly book one of these cabins (and if I unknowingly did I would be on the horn with the cruise line to change it).

I wonder if it depends on the cruise company as to how much they monitor those who request HC rooms.

I know when I have booked on line there have been times when I could have ticked the box saying I was genuinely in need of the HC room, so I guess the option is there to book a room, though morally I would never ever do it.

I count myself fortunate to be a cancer survivor and still be well enough to be able to travel. I do have a friend in a wheelchair who loves to cruise, just seeing her try to get through each day with the challenges she faces is enough for me to never try and book one.

It's odd that all three times I booked a H/C

cabin, within a day I received an email from Special Needs with a form

to be filled out. Since I have a scooter it is no problem filling out the

form. I keep hearing how people not needing one booked it anyway and

never were asked for anything but sure don't understand it.

Hi Swampbaby :)

I don't understand it either when passengers are not required to fill

out the medical form concerning a handicap cabin. I have Multiple Sclerosis

and require a handicap cabin. I've had to fill out a medical requirement form

with Carnival, Princess, Royal & Celebrity.

In regards to me personally, its all about the bathroom, the shower bench,

grab bars and toilet bench. Many people such as myself cannot shower

unassisted and require a handicap cabin for the bathroom itself.

A handicap shower, toilet, and larger bathroom size is essential for so

many that are disabled.

Many people need to be transferred from their wheelchair/scooter to a

shower bench so their caregiver or spouse can wash them.

Many need to be transferred from their wheelchair/scooter to the raised

toilet bench so they can urinate or have a bowel movement.

For the larger, modified handicap bathroom reasons alone, I wish cruise

lines would not permit these cabins to be reserved at all without a medical

necessity form.

:)

1st of all let me get one thing straight on my feelings. If someone need a Special Needs cabin they should get one and my hope is that every ships HC cabins are full of people who need them.

BUT for all of you people that are saying that no one should ever book one or be placed in a HC cabin that is not HC I say why would you want the cabin to sail EMPTY and take revenue away form Carnival and raise the cruise cost for everyone else. As I stated earlier the HC cabins are only released into the general bookings after special needs dept releases the cabins. Anyone who books a HC cabin is made well aware they maybe moved if need to make room for someone who may need the cabin.

So this is the 1st time I have ever said this on CC. If it helps keep my price down then I am all for it! There is no reason these cabins should sail empty and that is what would happen at times if Carnival did not release them to be booked my anyone. If you need a Special Needs cabin then call that dept they will help you find one.

1st of all let me get one thing straight on my feelings. If someone need a Special Needs cabin they should get one and my hope is that every ships HC cabins are full of people who need them.

BUT for all of you people that are saying that no one should ever book one or be placed in a HC cabin that is not HC I say why would you want the cabin to sail EMPTY and take revenue away form Carnival and raise the cruise cost for everyone else. As I stated earlier the HC cabins are only released into the general bookings after special needs dept releases the cabins. Anyone who books a HC cabin is made well aware they maybe moved if need to make room for someone who may need the cabin.

So this is the 1st time I have ever said this on CC. If it helps keep my price down then I am all for it! There is no reason these cabins should sail empty and that is what would happen at times if Carnival did not release them to be booked my anyone. If you need a Special Needs cabin then call that dept they will help you find one.

I was just about to type the same thing...

Hi Swampbaby :)

I don't understand it either when passengers are not required to fill

out the medical form concerning a handicap cabin. I have Multiple Sclerosis

and require a handicap cabin. I've had to fill out a medical requirement form

with Carnival, Princess, Royal & Celebrity.

In regards to me personally, its all about the bathroom, the shower bench,

grab bars and toilet bench. Many people such as myself cannot shower

unassisted and require a handicap cabin for the bathroom itself.

A handicap shower, toilet, and larger bathroom size is essential for so

many that are disabled.

Many people need to be transferred from their wheelchair/scooter to a

shower bench so their caregiver or spouse can wash them.

Many need to be transferred from their wheelchair/scooter to the raised

toilet bench so they can urinate or have a bowel movement.

For the larger, modified handicap bathroom reasons alone, I wish cruise

lines would not permit these cabins to be reserved at all without a medical

necessity form.

:)

I think a medical form should be standard. Years ago, we needed to fill one out. This really secured the cabin officially.

What would stop someone from requesting a HC cabin, saying they needed it (but really did not) and the former non handicapped person gets bumped? I know this is a "far out" scenario, but it's possible.

As for being selfish for a HC person to book close to sailing and bumping someone, I feel that person has the right to do it (with proof). We all know a non handicapped person should be aware of being bumped and a HC person should not be denied that cabin because a non handicapped person wants a certain location or the extra space.

I think a medical form should be standard. Years ago, we needed to fill one out. This really secured the cabin officially.

What would stop someone from requesting a HC cabin, saying they needed it (but really did not) and the former non handicapped person gets bumped? I know this is a "far out" scenario, but it's possible.

As for being selfish for a HC person to book close to sailing and bumping someone, I feel that person has the right to do it (with proof). We all know a non handicapped person should be aware of being bumped and a HC person should not be denied that cabin because a non handicapped person wants a certain location or the extra space.

I agree with this to a point. If the ship is filling up and they cannot give the person being bumped the same or upgraded category cabin then I don't feel they should be bumped. A sold out cabin is a sold out cabin HC or not. Should have booked earlier like everyone else. This is probably a remote scenerio because the cruise line would more than likely be able to move them to the same or higher category...but a possibility just the same. Not that we would ever book one, but I really don't believe it is selfish to book one after the cruise lines open them up to fill the ship. I think they should be prepared to be bumped to another cabin of the same or higher category and not argue if it happens, but it is not selfish if it is open and available at the time they are booking.

Edited by Warm Breezes

The "problem" arises when someone NOT needing but simply wanting books months and months in advance. This ties up the cabin and takes extra time for the person actually needing a H/C to receive it. Some need it for wheelchair/scooter while others needs the H/C bathroom. I have no problem whatsoever that once all unbooked cabins are released anyone can book the H/C cabins. Certainly no ship should sail with empty cabins if at all possible. In fact, our last cruise someone who had a booked an inside QTY received their cabin notification just a couple of days prior to sailing and it was in a 4J which he said really surprised him.

Edited by Swampbaby

I agree with this to a point. If the ship is filling up and they cannot give the person being bumped the same or upgraded category cabin then I don't feel they should be bumped. A sold out cabin is a sold out cabin HC or not. Should have booked earlier like everyone else. This is probably a remote scenerio because the cruise line would more than likely be able to move them to the same or higher category...but a possibility just the same. Not that we would ever book one, but I really don't believe it is selfish to book one after the cruise lines open them up to fill the ship. I think they should be prepared to be bumped to another cabin of the same or higher category and not argue if it happens, but it is not selfish if it is open and available at the time they are booking.

I agree up to a point too, but I'm sure if a non handicapped person booked a HC cabin, they likely didn't "wait" to book until they were open to the public.

Love how all the Handicapped Haters think that the HC cabins should be their private domain. If it was up to them, these cabins would go empty if one of their elite didnt want it. With that being said, I now need a HC bathroom preferibly when I cruise. Not because I am in a Wheelchair. But because I am having regular fall issues. Have fallen many times at home & have installed grab rails to help keep me upright as much as possible. But many would not consider that enough of a handicap to allow me to have one of these private sanctiums.

Oh well, let the hating begin

Love how all the Handicapped Haters think that the HC cabins should be their private domain. If it was up to them, these cabins would go empty if one of their elite didnt want it. With that being said, I now need a HC bathroom preferibly when I cruise. Not because I am in a Wheelchair. But because I am having regular fall issues. Have fallen many times at home & have installed grab rails to help keep me upright as much as possible. But many would not consider that enough of a handicap to allow me to have one of these private sanctiums.

Oh well, let the hating begin

No hating here. If you need the grab rails, for safety, then until someone starts to put those in all bathrooms you need the H/C cabins. I know when I stay in hotels that more and more are putting the rails in the shower area and, depending on the bathroom layout, next to the toilet.

With falling regularly I do hope you use something to aid your balance when walking. It's no fun falling.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently upgraded to a Cloud 9 spa room, not knowing it was an accessible room until I was on the phone with Carnival. I did the upgrade with only 18 days until sailing. I have no problem what so ever being bumped or being called to verify that I do not need the accessibility features of the room. I just wanted an ocean view spa room. There is still another room available in the same category. I understand this room should be booked with someone needing the accessibility features before I am bumped, but I just don't want to be judged for being a jerk if no one calls to bump me, and someone does need the room. I would encourage them to bump me to a Spa Balcony if needed, just want to keep the spa perks and cloud 9 access. Has anyone ever been bumped so close to sail date?

I remember on one cruise a honeymooning couple came on board. When they were checking in, it was discovered they booked a HC room because they heard they were bigger without the extra price. Turns out another guest needed a handicapped room and when booked there were none available. They put their name on some kind of waiting list. When it was discovered the newlyweds were not handicapped, they were bumped. Trouble was, the ship was full. So the honeymooning couple was put in a room with bunk beds. This was NOT an upgrade.

Firstly, thanks an advance to anyone who replies!

There are three of us booked on the Breeze for November 8th (46 days, but who's counting?!)

On all of my past cruises I have booked a balcony for a little more breathing room.

This cruise however, we decided to just do an interior because we never really utilized the balcony, so we booked cabin 9437 on the Vista deck.

At the time it was the closest to the middle and Lido, in our price range.

Over the last few months my anxiety about the cabin has fluctuated because I like the thought of light, air, etc.

This morning I was doing a mock booking to check cruise rates for a possible price drop and noticed a 4J cabin (10202).

It's in a smaller, quieter hallway, at the front of the ship.

It's 5 steps from the "secret balcony", is a slightly larger cabin and has a window (which isn't private).

Perfect for three of us with the size, it has my light and we essentially have a balcony. ;)

I called this morning to switch cabins and was told there was a $65 up charge for the cabin, perfect.

I was then told that the cabin is handicap accessible and if need be, we can be moved from the cabin.

She told me that they'd move us into another 4J cabin, but there are none available so they'd have to upgrade us to another cabin, if it came to that.

I paid the $64 difference in price and upgraded.

After hanging up, I am starting to think "what if?".

Has anyone experienced this before?

She told me that 10202 was the last available handicap cabin so the chances of us getting bumped are higher then normal.

The cruise is at 90% capacity.

What happens if they bump us and there is no cabin for us to be moved to because it is full?

What if there is no higher category available, only lower categories?

Did I make a mistake?

This is what I did in a similiar situation.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1502956

Hope it works out for the best.