Sea Pass Observation

Doug S

This discussion brings to mind a quote from Winston Churchill:

"A young man after seeing Churchill leave the bathroom without washing his hands: "At Eton they taught us to wash our hands after using the toilet." Churchill: "At Harrow they taught us not to ____ on our hands.":eek:

I've seen this too and think that's a huge deal. It takes a few seconds to wash your hands.

No wonder the signs on the door say 'use a paper towel to open'.

If everyone sanitized at every opportunity then the problem would be significantly reduced but as can be seen, that isn't going to happen.

It only takes a few (hundred?) people not to bother and as others have noted... it becomes a bit pointless

This just reminded me of something!

I was just on Freedom. My last cruise prior to this one was on Carnival Dream and I came down with Noro. I have always been a fanatic about doing everything to prevent it, but it happened to me. In the time leading up to my FOS cruise, I was even getting a little worried about it. "If I get noro again, that will be the end of cruising for me."

Day one we boarded and had lunch in the WJ. After lunch, it was still too early to get into our rooms. I went to the ladie's room on deck 11, just outside the WJ. Coming out of the stall I watched the woman who was next to me walk out of her stall and right out the door. She walked past at least 3 sinks and never stopped to wash her hands! First day, first time in the bathroom onboard, and I witnessed it! Revolting. :eek:

I ate lunch today with 10 people. Every person at the table ordered a sandwich/hamburger. Every person on the table picked up and ate the sandwich. Not a single person washed their hands before dinner. Guess what, we are survived.

I'm not saying you should not wash hands, clean things, and practice safe hygiene, but the reality is, we live everyday, exposed to all kinds of things, without knowing, and worry, about a small percentage of very specific items.

I will continue to touch door knobs, open windows, pick up salt shakers, read menus, touch railings, walls, and jump into a swimming pool. Maybe on occasion I will use my mouth as an extra set of hands. I survived this long, and I'm sure, I will survive many more years.

Please wash your hands, but don't fret over it. It won't change outcomes much.

I know, right? Same with menus, ketchup bottles, S&P shakers...I could go on and on. And I'm not a germaphobe, either, but I try to pay attention a little bit.

I may be a germaphobe & I don't care! But here's what I do before eating any meal, anywhere..... I will wash my hands, use a towel to open the door...

Seated at the table, I will look over the menu, once my order has arrived, I will use the pepper (rarely use salt), ketchup or whatever ...

THEN..... Use a sanatizing wipe or sanitzing gel on my hands..... Then I feel that I have done the best I can to ward off any germs that may enter my mouth. It's still a crapshoot tho!! LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SRV FAN