Coral Princess Alaska 2015

goncruzn

Hi all. I'm thinking about taking an Alaskan cruise on Coral Princess next September. This will be my second cruise to Alaska as well as my second time on Princess. To anyone who has sailed to Alaska at this time of year and/or anyone who has sailed on Coral recently, can you give me your thoughts on the ship itself as well as whether you think September is a good time to cruise Alaska? I'm also thinking about booking one of the premium balcony cabins on Caribe deck. Are there particular rooms anyone would suggest or any other balcony cabin types I should consider?

We are a couple in our early 50's, and we're really not very picky; more go with the flow kind of people. I welcome all your feedback!

Hi all. I'm thinking about taking an Alaskan cruise on Coral Princess next September. This will be my second cruise to Alaska as well as my second time on Princess. To anyone who has sailed to Alaska at this time of year and/or anyone who has sailed on Coral recently, can you give me your thoughts on the ship itself as well as whether you think September is a good time to cruise Alaska? I'm also thinking about booking one of the premium balcony cabins on Caribe deck. Are there particular rooms anyone would suggest or any other balcony cabin types I should consider?

We are a couple in our early 50's, and we're really not very picky; more go with the flow kind of people. I welcome all your feedback!

IMO the ship is great, however the weather is not, it is usually very damp, with not too many daylight hours, the only credit side might be a few end of season sales.

May, or early June is the best, usually as dry as Alaska can get, quite warm, with very good cruise rates, and lots of daylight. A balcony cabin is a 'must', for us anyway, and get one on the port side, best for glacier viewing.

john

We sailed to Alaska (inside passage with Glacier Bay) September 7 - 17 in 2011. We had rough seas the first night out of SF and the next morning. After that we had good weather every day of the cruise. We had maybe 5 minutes of a light misting rain in Victoria but that was it for rain. We didn't need a coat anywhere except in Glacier Bay. We had sunshine every day everywhere we went. Of course there is no way of knowing what the weather will be like for a future sailing in that same time frame.

As for the length of the day - it was pretty much like a normal day at home. At that time of year you don't have the zillion hours of daylight but we certainly didn't notice any shortening of the day from what we have in Northern California at that time of year.

Alaskan weather is always iffy. We just came back from an 11-dayer that sailed on 8/30, so that's early September. It's the first time out of four that Ketchikan was dry, and except for heavy overcast in Juneau and fog on the way up to the White Pass, the weather was totally fine. Tracy Arm was lovely, and we were able to get close to the glacier. But, like they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

Edited by shepp

Thanks for your replies. I wanted to see what everyone's perspective was as I think I'd rather go in early June, but my other half who is not that much of a fan of cruising as I am has said he would go but September would be better for him. I went this past June on an "all girls" trip with family members and we loved it and I can't wait to go back.

We'll have to think about it a little more but I do want him to be able to enjoy the trip.

Thanks again!