I just dont get this embarkation / boarding thing!

HellyDonandkids

I tried editing but nothing. If you are in the line checking in at the time that is stated, they will know you are there and about to board. We were on Celebrity earlier this year and sailed from Civitavecchia and it took about 15 minutes. It was early, about 11.30 and we spent the afternoon sipping champagne.

You will have time. Piazza St Marc is very small. Go under the clock, turn right and buy an ice cream then go back and the children can pat the lions. ALWAYS go back the way you came! Talk about moving walls.

They will love it!

You can catch the line 2 back as it is quicker but no matter where you are in Venice, it is always quicker to walk than take the vaporetto. Trouble is, you get lost if you don't know it. Why don't you walk from the station then boat back? You will see more and you can follow the crowd and not get ha ha lost. If you do lose yourself, look for the yellow signs with the arrows but you should be fine.

You are so right and made me laugh.....

My DH always said if you haven't been lost in Venice, you haven't been to Venice. If one doesn't have a strict time schedule, getting 'lost' there is great fun but not if you have an eye on your watch.

I would check in at the ship, leave your bags and then go back to Piazza San Marco. It is worth the hurry and rush to see it. To be so close and not at least get a fast look would be a shame.

Good luck. :) Enjoy.

We were in Venice in June.

In your situation, I believe I would go straight to check-in, drop your bags and get your ship cards, then go see San Marco. All you will have time to do is go see the plaza, point out a few things, and head back to the ship.

The Vaporetto will cost each of you €7 each way. You might be able to purchase a pass for less, but as short a time as you'll be there, maybe not.

Keep in mind that the stops at Plaza San Marco are very busy. We had to wait a couple of times to catch the next one, because there were so many people. You also need to leave plenty of time to get there and back because of the speeds involved. Everyone just moves at a slower pace.

I also recommend you take a few hundred euros, in case you are running late and need to take a taxi directly back to make all-aboard time. You may need to be back on board as early as 3 or 330 in the afternoon.

Also one more question, Ive read on cruise critic somewhere that its possible to hire a stroller on the ship? Does anybody have any experience of this?

Thank you!

Been to Venice 3 times and I think the easiest and quickest way to Piazza San Marcos is on the Aliguana (spelling?) B from the cruise terminal and not the ACTV 2 from Piazza Roma. Princess had vaparetto tickets in the cabin that we could use or turn in. Check with NCL.

As I recall the B vaparetto dropped us off so we could conveniently get back to the ship on our return. That's why I would check in first. The vaparetto system isn't hard to navigate. We went all the way out to Torcello on our last "explore". There should be a sign at the gangway about when they want you back. For the sail away, I like to be as high as I can get, on the port side with a view forward and aft. The view of St Marks and the Grand Canal is stunning. Don't forget the starboard side. The view is nice there too. Venice can flood that time of year so ask before you find yourself knee deep in water in The Piazza. You can see the flood gate construction project just before you get to Lido Island on the way to sea..

Ok thank you and thank you for the tip about sail away, much appreciated. I'm going with the majority then and board the ship first. I guess if I give myself a cut off of say 1pm for getting back off the boat I can make it. I've looked into the possibility of flooding and it looks fairly low that day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do wonder if when he's an adult he will look back and fully appreciate that when he did the Romans at school his parents not only took him to Rome but Pompeii amongst others, all in a way where he had a kids club and an adventure on his first ever cruise ship! I do hope so!

Traveling with children is much different than traveling with another adult. The flight to Italy, arriving at the big boat may be all you can do with young kids. I understand the expense but I have 3 kids. My well behaved /genius son is 15 years old and there is no way we could take him sightseeing after a flight and arriving in foreign city. I'd get him some lunch and a place to sit down with his toys/ electronic gadgets. I can't image taking a 3 & 8 year old without my own stroller let alone rushing around on a time schedule. When will they eat, nap, play? Anyway, I say skip the sight seeing and enjoy the cruise without trying to do it all.

Venice will be there for years to come.

Traveling with children is much different than traveling with another adult. The flight to Italy, arriving at the big boat may be all you can do with young kids. I understand the expense but I have 3 kids. My well behaved /genius son is 15 years old and there is no way we could take him sightseeing after a flight and arriving in foreign city. I'd get him some lunch and a place to sit down with his toys/ electronic gadgets. I can't image taking a 3 & 8 year old without my own stroller let alone rushing around on a time schedule. When will they eat, nap, play? Anyway, I say skip the sight seeing and enjoy the cruise without trying to do it all.

Venice will be there for years to come.

Great words of advice. I wanted to say it, but I don't have your gift of words. For our first cruise, we were exhausted and just wanted to lay down and rest. I can't imagine traveling with two kids and then being a tourist. And yet I would love to cruise with my grandchildren. You will get pictures of St Marks and other landmarks to show your friends from the sail away. I apologize but I just looked at your itinerary. Kotor is my second favorite sail away after Venice. Aft is best for this. Last time we were there, the ship departed early due to high winds. There is a tight turn to port at Perast. We loved the tour that went to Perast and then the walled city of Kotor. So many old churches. Such delightful people. We wandered into a Greek Orthodox Church and stayed for a christening. No one seemed to mind. It was delightful.

Landing at 9.40 am you could take the Alliguna (sp?) from the airport to San Marco - get off - have a quick whizz round (albeit dragging suitcases and rugrats) then back on the Alliguna to the cruise terminal.

Provided you are at the cruise terminal by about 2pm you will have no problem.

Having said that (and having spent several days in Venice so that might colour my view a bit), St Marks square is OK - and - bear in mind - you will see it from the ship on the sailaway.

Hi,

Hoping someone can help. Ive tried emailing my cruise consultant at NCL, it appears now Ive paid in full emails are ignored :confused:.

We've never cruised before and we are travelling with an 8 year old and a 3 year old from Venice on NCL Jade on 25 October. What im trying to work out is getting on board the ship and also seeing Venice. We land at 9:40am and cruise departs 6pm.

It says to board no less than 2 hours before, but what I cant work out is how much time I need to board. I think you dont check in on the ship but in a building off the ship? So if I arrive 2 hours before I wont be boarding but beginning a process off the ship? So how long does that take? Do I need to be at the port at more like 3pm to allow time for that? Or less? Or should I go straight from the airport to the ship and then get back off to see Venice? Is this even allowed?

Sorry these probably seem like silly questions to some of you! Im just really hoping to at least see Piazza San Marco so I need to get things correct to be able to do that. Thank you for any responses. :)

IF your plane lands on time, and IF there are no delays in getting luggage, I would take the bus from the airport to Piazzale Roma, there is a place to leave luggage - forgot what it is, but you can look it up on this website in the "ports" area.

From there I would hop on the water bus (bus 1 or bus 2? It's been a while, sorry) and go to San Marco. I'd be back to P.le Roma no later that 3 pm. Catch the free shuttle to the pier (if NCL still provides them), there is a short walk to the ship, get checked in, and there is the muster drill before taking off.

I would check in first and then whizz back to Piazza San Marco for a quick look round. It is certainly do-able, we have booked in and then been back to the main city for a quick gelato before re-boarding.

One reason is that there is no way I would contemplate dragging luggage plus family ("kids'n'bags") around San Marco. You will have an idea how long the return trip will take you, having done it on the way from the ship, so you'll know when to leave.

Remember that you have to back on board at least 90 minutes before sail away, as the ship has to lodge the manifest / passenger list with the authorities at that time. Between then and the sail away you will have a muster drill.

And the sail away out of Venice is truly spectacular. If you do, for any reason, miss your trip into the city you will get a superb, if brief view of San Marco and the Grand Canal from the ship. As others have said, as high up as you can manage, on the port side, but do look around as there are sights on Giudecca and other bits, which will be behind you.

With a three year old in tow, if you can't hire a buggy from the cruise line I would strongly consider buying or borrowing an 'umbrella' style / McLaren buggy with a sun shade. You may get some sun and if the little one is tired they will not want to be in the glare.

Oh, and don't dismiss the thought of a water-taxi from the airport to the port. It's not cheap, but it is the most spectacular way to approach Venice (although walking out into the railway station is pretty amazing too, I gather). You may even be able to share with another small group, just get chatting on the jetty. The first time DH and I flew in from LBA we waited forever for a waterbus; the next time, with the children, we bit the bullet and got a water taxi. It really is worth doing just once, and your eight year old is more likely to love being in a 'speed boat' than on a water bus! And you won't have to lug your cases very far at all, at either end.

You might also find it helpful to look at the Venice guide in http://www.tomsportguides.com Authored by an interesting man who complies these guides for fun and to be helpful; we haven't used his Venice one but have tried others. Some of the information is, not unexpectedly, aimed at his fellow US citizens, but the level of detail is impressive.

Have a look and see for yourself, and enjoy Venice and the rest.

Thank you so much everybody. It really is very much appreciated. Unfortunately water routes out of the airport arent possible as we, like the poster above, are flying from Leeds Bradford but we land at Treviso (swore I would never fly Ryanair again but they had by far the best flight times).

There are two buses out of Treviso, Barzi bus stopping at Tronchetto and AVTO bus stopping at Roma. People mover and vaparetto and left luggage at both.

So I guess what I have to do is get to Venice, examine tiredness levels. If we think we can get through it with a little help from gelato use the left luggage facility and get straight up to San Marco. If we are not sure we can make it, check into the ship, maybe eat and consider again based on time / tiredness. Get back off or give up and get in bed then make the most of the sailaway!

Thank you for the Koper tip also I will add it to my notes for that port!

What a kind bunch you all are, thank you :)

We were in

Have a great cruise- we're very fond of Jade. The last time I saw her, we'd arrived on another ship which moored at the same pier....and it was very busy alongside as there were about 7 big ships in that day, plus the Jade check-ins had started, so there were groups of tourists waiting for shuttle boats and Jade customers wheeling cases.... However you do it, stay calm, and if the atmosphere is too much, then save it for another year....and as suggested, the sail away is spectacular, and very close to St Mark's.

Oh good I'm glad you like it! Never even considered cruising before and we only booked this 2 weeks a go for October, so with the kids being young I'm feeling quite out my depth!

with two young kids in tow and on your first cruise and trying to do a dash to venice make sure you take several chill pills. the adrenallin will be pumping at various times. when you are ready to explode just take a big breath and count to 10....slowly! taking luggage with you will be a disaster. narrow streets and bridges everywhere. waiting for the next water taxi with a mass of people in front of you and you are clock watching? (take another pill!!) Venice is not that big and can be done in a day. Its a shame that you are not arriving the day before. The 120 for pulling the kids early would be money well spent. given that you are on ryanair its probably not possible to change the booking without a penalty. Still, its worth asking. when i get on the ship i just want to explore , even after several cruises!! i will be very surprised if you finish up going to venice. Get on the ship and then see how you and the family are feeling. You are flying into a country you dont know and trying to navigate airports,buses, water taxis and a cruise ship. This will all take extra time and time is going to be your enemy.On sighting the ship for the first time the reaction is going to be "wow". So, please, get onboard and then make the decision....and enjoy the view from the top deck as you sail past venice. When you get back home start saving for your next cruise and fly into venice a day or two earlier and have a relaxed time before the cruise. There are many cruises departing venice so you will have lots of options. Good luck and enjoy your first cruise. If you have not already done so join the roll call for this cruise. You will get lots of help and suggestions for the cruise you are doing.

Hi again. Mmm Scotland is beautiful!

You can book in then catch the alilaguna from the ferry terminal, go to P St Marks and then catch it back again. It is the airport run but does have a stop suitable for you. About 15 minutes I think. Not far at all. It was 8 € single earlier this year.

No bridges to cross, very short walk.

Enjoy yourselves. The sail away from Venice will shortly be a thing of the past when the new route into the terminal comes into force.

Unless they change their minds. Again.

Right. Terminal to St Marco or St Zaccaria. Takes about 30 minutes. Departures are 20 past the hour and 10 to. 8 €. Children under six free.

Return from St Zaccaria 7 and 37 minutes past the hour. (Might be less crowded). Return St Marco 12 and 42 minutes past the hour. Journey 17 minutes strangely.

Alilaguna site. Linea blu. Can buy tickets at a huge reduction of two euros.

Better than the vaporetto for you as quicker. Sometimes it takes a while for my brain to leap into action. Ha!

Thank you both so much! Sorry I totally forgot to reply, probably a bit soon to be taking the chill pills, maybe I should stop them for a fortnight :D.

What you say does make sense, we will be up at 3am to get to Venice so we will be feeling pretty exhausted by the time we get there.

Thanks for the info re the ferry, interesting that its only 17 mins back! That could make a difference. Im going to get on the ship then try to muster the energy to just go and stand in the piazza and grab an ice cream, but keep an open mind. If we are exhausted we have to face facts and keep Venice for another trip (maybe without the kids ;)). Thank you so much again.

Its funny, since they brought in this fining system headteachers are now just refusing to authorise absences and in a lot of schools its just become "not the done thing". My sons school is certainly one of them. Its good for kids to not miss school and I totally respect that. But this has gone too far now.

Thank you both so much! Sorry I totally forgot to reply, probably a bit soon to be taking the chill pills, maybe I should stop them for a fortnight :D.

What you say does make sense, we will be up at 3am to get to Venice so we will be feeling pretty exhausted by the time we get there.

Thanks for the info re the ferry, interesting that its only 17 mins back! That could make a difference. Im going to get on the ship then try to muster the energy to just go and stand in the piazza and grab an ice cream, but keep an open mind. If we are exhausted we have to face facts and keep Venice for another trip (maybe without the kids ;)). Thank you so much again.

Its funny, since they brought in this fining system headteachers are now just refusing to authorise absences and in a lot of schools its just become "not the done thing". My sons school is certainly one of them. Its good for kids to not miss school and I totally respect that. But this has gone too far now.

since my last post i google earthed where exactly the cruise terminal is in relation to st marks. Its not that far, in fact if there was a lineup for the ferry you could probably walk there and back in well under an hour.(as long as the boys are not exhausted by then) Or leave your other half to babysit and do it solo!?! Just remember to get a bank loan for the ice cream! I was there about 5 years ago and to sit outside on the chairs of the cafes in the square and have a coffee was about 20 euros a cup...and a very small cup at that! If you take the walking option make sure you get a map as it is a bit of a maze. Enjoy your cruise, some great ports and not much rest in between so you are going to have a full on cruise so save some of those chill pills for later in the cruise!!