Reducing salt and allergic to garlic

EvelynAlexa

Are low salt and no garlic dishes available in the food courts or in the main dining room?

Eve

I'm on a low sodium diet and every night they were bringing me the next day menu so I can choose what was the best for me. Of course you need to know that per example mustard is very high in sodium, they won't had salt but they probably won't be able to figure out which specific ingredients are not acceptable in a low salt diet.

Most of my meals were excellent!

Are low salt and no garlic dishes available in the food courts or in the main dining room?

Eve

Just got off a Summit to Bermuda cruise where we had to address the sodium issue (thank goodness, no problems with garlic). Sadly, we found the shore-side "special needs" department to be of no help, whatsoever. They just told us to deal with it on the ship. So, we let the maitre'd know, as soon as we boarded. Every night, our wonderful MDR maitre'd (Dalibor) brought me the next night's menu, and made recommendations for low-sodium options. Sometimes, eg: the veal chop, it was something as simple as leaving off the sauce. Other times (think soup), Dalibor would put in a special request for mine to be prepared with less salt. Well, it worked! This was the first cruise in years where I could still wear all of my rings on disembarkation day -- no "cankles", either! :cool:

You would be surprised what they put garlic in.

One of our tablemates on the Summit had a garlic allergy. They treated it like any other serious allergy and had her pre-order her meals the night before. Basically, they can make you just about anything without the garlic but they need to know ahead of time.

Many marinades and rubs, salad dressings, potatoes (other than a baked potato), flavoured rices dishes, pasta dishes and most gravies and sauces have garlic as an ingredient. They can usually make them without it but it needs to be done separate from the rest of the food served (by special request).

Ask for the Maitre D in the dining room and chef at the buffet and they will tell you what you can have without garlic.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Eve

Thought you might want to know...

Many Pax say that they have issues with cruises & Ships Desalinized Water to some extent (bloating)... Especially so if in warmer climates, or they have a Pre-existing condition.

In which case they opt to avoid it as much as they possibly can... Although it is not 100% possible because it is used for cooking, making ice, in reconstituted bevvys (juices, lemonade, ice tea etc)

Personally, we buy a Bevvy Pkg and that means we can drink bottled water, fresh squeezed juices etc.

Hope this helps,

Cheers!

I'm on a low sodium diet and every night they were bringing me the next day menu so I can choose what was the best for me. Of course you need to know that per example mustard is very high in sodium, they won't had salt but they probably won't be able to figure out which specific ingredients are not acceptable in a low salt diet.

Most of my meals were excellent!

1 tsp of yellow mustard has 57mg of sodium, not what I would consider "very high"

I am a fellow "low-sodium" person, so I feel your pain.

Edited by Nachosdelux

That's an awful thing to deal with. I love garlic!

Then again, I'm allergic to Caffeine so I know your pain. It's a "hidden" ingredient in all kinds of foods you wouldn't ever imagine. Ex. some orange sodas, root beers, cereals, fruit punch, etc. Not to mention my love of Tiramasu! Such a waste!

(sorry that was a bit off topic, but wanted to show some understanding and sympathy to the original poster.)

1 tsp of yellow mustard has 57mg of sodium, not what I would consider "very high"

I am a fellow "low-sodium" person, so I feel your pain.

Dijon mustard has 115 mg /tea spoon which is 5% of the daily value, very often they ad dijon mustard in sauces and not the classic yellow one.

It was just an example. ;)

Josée