Carnival Cruise Lines Intros Steakhouse Dishes in Main Dining Room

LauraS

They had this last week on the Liberty. It was a nice option for some in our group who just didn't like anything on the new menus certain night. The only draw back is it did take a little longer for those entrees to arrive at the table than those from the main galley.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

wondering if anyone had the Maine lobster option, and how was it served? Was it whole literally, or tail laid out and claws cracked? I am horribly inexperienced at breaking down a lobster

I don't believe in encouraging them to add cost to something that normally is included in the price of the cruise. I always find plenty to eat on the menu from the MDR. If everyone keeps paying what they ask for then the prices will only get higher, but that's up to you, enjoy.

It's Steakhouse quality foods, $35 if you eat there. Some opt not to eat there, but now can order the main dish without all the frills of "fine dining".

This is not food included in the cruise fare.

I feel like they tried this a couple of years ago. I may be crazy, but I thought they did it on ships that didn't have the steakhouse.

Yes. I seem to remember it from a few years back. Either never took hold or was delayed...

Never a bad thing that people have more options.

I think options are good and I would definitely utilize this if we weren't able to go to the steakhouse for some reason, yum to the surf and turf! . We have a 4 year old and he is still a work in progress at dinner, so I wouldn't subject others in the steakhouse to him just yet ;)

on the Freedom 3 weeks ago and someone in our group ordered the lobster. It cost $20 and it looked great , a whole lobster split down the middle. She said it was well worth the money and it tasted great. It arrived on time with everyone's food also. The $20 was on her sail and sign card. Nice & easy.

Royal Carribbean has done this for years. It seems a bit nickle-and-dimey to me, but hey, more options are always a good thing.

I will NEVER go to Choppes on any RCCL ship again.They will only offer 6 ounces fire grilled filets or 9 ounce grilled filets or a 12 ounce strip for that $35 charge. If you want an 18 ounce NY Strip, you have to pay an ADDITIONAL $18! You have to pay $54 for the same 18 ounce steak you get at Carnivals steakhouse for $35? Ruined the steakhouse experience for me.

We were just on the Breeze last week and this option was on the MDR menu.

We did eat in the Steakhouse this time too. I knew what to expect because we ate at the Steakhouse on the Dream last year and were thrilled with meal and service.

Well this time on the Breeze I did not enjoy my steak as much and barely ate any of it. A couple of night later, my husband suggested I try the $ 20.00 N Y Strip in the MDR. I did and I have to say, it was delicious. The atmosphere of the MDR was just as good even better for me, than the Steakhouse. The tables in the steakhouse were so close together, we might as well have been sitting with the people on either side of us. Our waiter in the MDR was awesome - he waited while I cut into my steak to make sure it was cooked to my liking.

Next time, I will skip the Steakhouse and just go with the MDR option.