Received a phone call form Up-Sale Fairy Today

bmwjeanne

Received a phone call from NCL asking if we were interested in an up-sale on the Gem leaving out of New York on 10/04/14. It was for the Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite 15500 on Deck 15. Price was an additional $1,200.00. Really contemplated it for a bit. Even checked out videos that CC members had posted on the Suite. We are presently booked in an Aft Suite on Deck 10, which we have stayed in before on the Star to Alaska.

Anyway, decided to stick with our Aft Suite. The Owner's Suite was really nice, large balcony with hot tub, great amenities, etc., but didn't want the view of the swimming pool or to the hear the music when sitting on the balcony. Also, the balcony is not covered. We love sitting on the balcony at the aft and watching the water. It so serene, plus you're tucked away in your quiet corner. Some may say I'm crazy for passing this up, but that's just me. I don't think we would even use the Haven area that much. Been married 36 years and believe it or not, my husband and I enjoy our quite time together.

Maybe in our next life.:D

Received a phone call from NCL asking if we were interested in an up-sale on the Gem leaving out of New York on 10/04/14. It was for the Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite 15500 on Deck 15. Price was an additional $1,200.00. Really contemplated it for a bit. Even checked out videos that CC members had posted on the Suite. We are presently booked in an Aft Suite on Deck 10, which we have stayed in before on the Star to Alaska.

Anyway, decided to stick with our Aft Suite. The Owner's Suite was really nice, large balcony with hot tub, great amenities, etc., but didn't want the view of the swimming pool or to the hear the music when sitting on the balcony. Also, the balcony is not covered. We love sitting on the balcony at the aft and watching the water. It so serene, plus you're tucked away in your quiet corner. Some may say I'm crazy for passing this up, but that's just me. I don't think we would even use the Haven area that much. Been married 36 years and believe it or not, my husband and I enjoy our quite time together.

I don't blame you. Who has an extra $1200 sitting around? Stick with what you can afford.

Really not that much different between the two suites, or at least $1,200 worth. You made a good choice. If they had offered the 2BR suite, I would have jumped on it. Separate bedroom from living area is worth lots to us. (sleep, or non-sleep schedules).

Meanwhile, this is the first up-sell call we have heard about here in quite some time. Was wondering if they were still doing that or not.

Some may say I'm crazy for passing this up, but that's just me. I don't think we would even use the Haven area that much. Been married 36 years and believe it or not, my husband and I enjoy our quite time together.

What people say doesn't matter - it only matters what you and your husband want, and it sounds like you made the right choice for you. We are the same - after nearly 31 years, we still want to be alone, together.

Enjoy!!!

One time I got an up-sell call to move from the 2bedroom Haven suite to the Garden villa.........for only another $6400.:roll eyes: geesh!!

I've cruised NCL 15 times, mostly in suites and this is the one and only up-sell call I've ever gotten.

I'm sailing on the Sun on Monday, and I got a call yesterday from the Upgrade Fairy, too. The offer was for an aft corner penthouse. Only a few hundred extra dollars moving from an mini-suite. I was very tempted, but sadly passed. I hope she calls again on a future cruise.

Oooh, too bad you couldn't take advantage of that one. But I'm sure you had good reasons.

We've only gotten one upsell call ever and it was from a mini suite to a family suite, which we took and it was a fab upsell. It wasn't a lot more money either, which shocked me.

I'm sailing on the Sun on Monday, and I got a call yesterday from the Upgrade Fairy, too. The offer was for an aft corner penthouse. Only a few hundred extra dollars moving from an mini-suite. I was very tempted, but sadly passed. I hope she calls again on a future cruise.

That was a #$$%^&** mistake :D

next time

Oooh, too bad you couldn't take advantage of that one. But I'm sure you had good reasons.

We've only gotten one upsell call ever and it was from a mini suite to a family suite, which we took and it was a fab upsell. It wasn't a lot more money either, which shocked me.

In all my years with NCL I have only gotten the call once...

After I explained to the nice lady that she was offering me a Free downgrade to a lesser suite ( OS to a Penthouse ) my thrill faded as quickly as it had arrived .:o

Edited by mpk218

I'm just curious if anyone knows how much it would normally be to upgrade from an aft suite to the Haven Deluxe Owner's Suite, just to find out how much of a "bargin" $1200 more would have been.

I'm not sure if the aft corner penthouse is a full suite, but if it is, WHY DIDN"T YOU UPGRADE?????? :eek:

We got an upgrade call last year on the Breakaway -- from a mini-suite to an aft corner Haven penthouse (Bermuda trip). Only several hundred $$ more -- you bet we took it. It was fabulous!!:D:D

We got an upgrade call last year on the Breakaway -- from a mini-suite to an aft corner Haven penthouse (Bermuda trip). Only several hundred $$ more -- you bet we took it. It was fabulous!!:D:D

I would have too - congratulations!!

Before my Breakaway cruise last month I got an up sell call also. I was in an AFT Penthouse and I got the call for another $4,000 I can upgrade to the deluxe owners suite. $1,000pp. I turned it down bc I didn't want to give up the huge balcony.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

One time I got an up-sell call to move from the 2bedroom Haven suite to the Garden villa.........for only another $6400.:roll eyes: geesh!!

I've cruised NCL 15 times, mostly in suites and this is the one and only up-sell call I've ever gotten.

Could have recruited family/friends to absorb the cost?

That's a great suite especially with the private hot tub and deck space only thing is you have to walk up staircase to the suite. Elevator only goes to 14 and only staircase access to the actual suite

Would like to know what you liked about this suite. Did you use the Haven and the private deck? How was the wind and the pool noise on your balcony?, and did you actually use the hot tub. (We have one at home, so not that special).

Did you have your butler coming and going heating the hot tub with hot water and securing your balcony furniture during windy weather? Also, did you enjoy your view of the pool area? Just my questions since we turned down the Fairy UpSell offer on this suite and decided to keep our Aft Suite. Just wanted to know that I made the right decision to decline. I feel, or know that I made the right decision. Just wanted to hear some other opinions. Also, saved $1,200.00 on making this decision. Do I sound insecure? and need someone to tell me I made the right decision--maybe so--but I actually think the Aft Suite is the way to go. Thanks for your opinions.:rolleyes:

We stayed in that room last winter and really did niot love it. The balcony is unusable if you are out to sea. We prefer the Haven 2 bedroom on the Gem if you are going to be on the Haven deck. The stairs were a killer in rough seas lol. It is a great room when you are in the Caribbean for a few days and can appreciate the balcony. The furniture had to be tied down almost every day because of wind. I preferred the Haven aft on the BA for a huge balcony room. We would not book the DOS on the Gem again.

Edited by mommyto2girls