we have implemented a progressive cruise check in ?

Kosi

To help facilitate a smooth start to your voyage we have implemented a progressive cruise check in schedule. If you have purchased a Princess Cruise Plus Package/Transfer, your check-in time will be provided at your hotel or the airport. Guests travelling on shared transport or arriving as a group will be checked in together. Priority check-in will be available to guests with a Preferred Boarding Pass within the allocated check-in times after dropping off luggage and clearing security. Boarding will commence shortly after check-in. Please arrive at check in times below. Once on board, enjoy a meal at Horizon Court which remains open throughout the day to serve you.

1:00pm - 2:00pm - Dolphin, Emerald & Lido Decks / Cabins start with D, E & L 2:00pm - 3:00pm - Caribe, Marina & Riviera Decks / Cabins start with C, M & R 3:00pm - 4:00pm - Aloha & Baha Decks / Cabins start with A & B

Is this the way it is always done? Being on the Rivera deck we can't get into room till 3 PM? Wish I knew this I would have gotten a room on 1-2 pm decks!

Edited by Kosi

I know most of the "staggered boarding" emails are usually just suggestions. A few embarkation ports try to stick to it as they do not have a lot of room inside the terminal for processing. I believe SF and Seattle do this. I am not sure about NY.

So it is probably meaningless? We will get to NYC around 11 AM.. to be safe.. we have a 3 hour travel time.. and though it should not be bad traffic on Sat.. there can be accidents that can back things up.. (that is for any were really)..

I would hate to have to wait till 3-4 to be able to get into our room-gosh that is sail away time. I have never been on this cruise line before.. but on all others we never had to wait till much after 1 PM.

We have found that on Princess and other lines with the staggered check in times, that no one is forced to sit until their time. Obviously if there are openings and slow times at the check in desks, you will be told to go ahead. We have never been made to sit and wait. I'd just show up. Once the initial preferred/assigned cruisers go thru, you will be next.

I know most of the "staggered boarding" emails are usually just suggestions. A few embarkation ports try to stick to it as they do not have a lot of room inside the terminal for processing. I believe SF and Seattle do this. I am not sure about NY.

Nope, not Seattle. I have never seen the staggered boarding enforced in Seattle.

We've been getting these type of emails for several cruises now -- always with a 1pm time. We ignore them, and try to get on the ship as early as possible. Not once have we've been told, oh, you need to wait until 1pm.

It seems if we wait until 1pm, there will be a huge line. Two of our last three times out of San Pedro (Port of LA), we've been able to check in within a few minutes after filling out those health forms. Not kidding.

Go when you want to.

We too have been receiving these emails for the past 3 years or so. With most people coming by plane, train, and other means, this is just a suggested time to show up if possible. Don't let it put a damper on your plans. Show up when you can, they will make you feel welcome. We too have never been made to sit and wait till our appointed time to board!

Enjoy your cruise!

We have not seen it enforced but did read about it being so in Southampton when the program was first introduced. However, it does not apply to people in suites, Elite and Platinum passengers....which when you think of it could cover a lot of people on some cruises.

We were stuck with it the first (last) time we embarked in Southampton. It was our worst boarding ever:mad:.

We were instructed to check in at 12:30, so we show up on time, hand our boarding passes to the woman at the top of the escalator and expect to be directed to the check in desks where there were just clerks standing about waiting to check people in. I was wrong. Instead we were handed a coloured plastic card and told to go sit and wait for the number and colour of the card to be called.

We sat there for almost two hours :confused::mad::mad::mad:. Then, we were allowed to go to the check in desk and join the slow line through security.

We're platinum now, so I expect if we are in that position again, we'd get a better coloured card :rolleyes:.

I hope you have better luck.

Edited by FawnRiver
more detail

That has been the normal system at Southampton whether on Princess or Cunard. Seems to be just the way they do things. The earlier you arrive the lower the alphabet letter is you receive with which you are called to check in. So arriving at 12.30 you would be a way down the alphabet Then there are individual problems that delay check in. Twice we have had computer problems at Southampton. We always arrive about 11.15 and boarding time varies quite a bit at that.

Edited by maz48

A lot of the time at Southampton its customs that stop people boarding, we arrived at 11:30 and boarding started at midday due to a ship inspection. We had the email about staggered boarding but nobody took any notice of it.

Off topic, but what I don't like at one(or more) of the terminals at Southampton is the bag and personal security just before boarding. That could all be done in the time you are sitting waiting to be called to check in and then boarding could be quicker.

I noticed my time at Southampton is actually 2:30 p.m. (Plaza Deck), however, the way it is worded seems contradictory. Preferred Boarding at any time but we kindly request you arrive at the scheduled time??? Check out at the hotel is probably around noon so I'll head over and hope for the best.

Last year in Quebec it was organized chaos so I sat in a chair and thought I would wait. Someone I met the night before said aren't you platinum? I walked with them, went to the counter and was onboard by noon. It really doesn't matter to me but standing for a long time is tricky. I can walk easily, but standing still not so much.