Formal Nights for Teenagers

cavkc

Keksie. It's not the website that is wrong. It is a very few stubborn rebels that are wrong, that choose to disregard the expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests on the ship.

Actually it is the website that is wrong. On the last two 7 day cruises that I was on there was no smart casual night. This was not because of stubborn rebels but according to the daily compass, which had the attire for the night listed. I would assume that whoever had the compass printed for the day a) worked for the cruise line and b) knew what the expected dress for the evening would be. I have also read other posts that stated that there were no smart casual nights on there crusies, even though there should have been according to the website. Some longer cruises did not have the stated number of formal nights either. In these instances the expected standard of dress was worn but it was not what was stated on the website.

My point is that you can't just go by what is written on the website but by what people's actual experiences are.

Of course I guess you could just go ahead and dress for the smart casual night that wasn't on a casual night, but then you would be disregarding the expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests on the ship.

a very few stubborn rebels that are wrong, that choose to disregard the expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests on the ship.
LOL!

The whole tux & evening gown game is a nostalgia trip for the lost age of Trans-Atlantic ocean liner travel, when upper class Brits and Americans carried huge steamer trunks full of clothes. Back then there were three classes (sometimes four) of passengers on a ship, and only First Class did the dress-to-the-nines thing for dinner.

I don't begrudge people's fantasies of being "Upper Class in the Golden Age". But when a blazer, tie, and slacks is perfectly appropriate attire in a 5-star restaurant (and the symphony and opera, for that matter), it's damned well good enough for a 2-star cruise ship restaurant.

My teenage sons don't even own a suit, and it would be absurd to have them buy one for a meal on a Caribbean vacation.

LOL!

The whole tux & evening gown game is a nostalgia trip for the lost age of Trans-Atlantic ocean liner travel, when upper class Brits and Americans carried huge steamer trunks full of clothes. Back then there were three classes (sometimes four) of passengers on a ship, and only First Class did the dress-to-the-nines thing for dinner.

I don't begrudge people's fantasies of being "Upper Class in the Golden Age". But when a blazer, tie, and slacks is perfectly appropriate attire in a 5-star restaurant (and the symphony and opera, for that matter), it's damned well good enough for a 2-star cruise ship restaurant.

My teenage sons don't even own a suit, and it would be absurd to have them buy one for a meal on a Caribbean vacation.

Agreed!!! You ARE on VACATION, right!!!

Some people here treat formal nights and thier disregard like 1st degree murder or something worse. Worry about your own selves and leave the rest of the world to worry about themselves!

Thank you for your comments, however although I thank you for your input, most of you seem to have missed the actual QUESTION in my op.

I am well aware of what the stated dress code is & I do not have a problem with buying the boys tuxedo's if they are NEEDED. If not tuxedo's they would certainly be in shirt/tie etc.

MY QUESTION WAS ..... has anyone ACTUALLY BEEN ON a Med cruise with teenagers and if so what were they ACTUALLY WEARING - as oppossed to what everyone thinks they should wear!!!! Personally I would love for all the children to dress appropriately but I don't want my boys to be the odd ones out.

On our last cruise at Christmas, on New Year's Eve, our boys were virtually the only ones in tuxedo's - I just wanted to clarify if this happens in the Med.

MY QUESTION WAS ..... has anyone ACTUALLY BEEN ON a Med cruise with teenagers and if so what were they ACTUALLY WEARING - as oppossed to what everyone thinks they should wear!!!!
My observation is that most teens I've seen on Med cruises wore suites and not tuxes...although I do recall one family in which all of the children [2 boys, 1 girl] was in formal attire.

Whenever my teen age grandchildrern accompany me on a cruise, they are required to wear suites/dresses on formal night.

Thank you for your comments, however although I thank you for your input, most of you seem to have missed the actual QUESTION in my op.

As you have discovered this is always a hot topic. As to what others wear, on RC you can get away with almost anything. I think you will find most will wear something that at least comes close to the requested dress code. However, on formal night we have seen shorts, haulter tops, mini-skirts, pulled out shirts with no tie or jacket, etc. on teens and adults.

Conclusion, the teens will not be out of place being dressed up and they will not be alone dressing down.

My 14yr old nephew is just back from his first cruise....and it was on the Med,on the Splendour.When I saw the formal photos I was astounded to see he didnt have a jacket on....when I asked his granny she said.....she didnt see any teen boys with suits/tux etc on...and so nephew took his jacket off ....he didnt want to feel out of place.

But I remember on our first cruise (2 yrs ago)my son then 14 had suit on and that was same ship..on the Med....and most of the other boys wore suits also.

So I would only say...if you want to take a suit...whatever, then take it....see what other teens are wearing and then just remove jacket if that is how others are dressed...if they want.

I tell you this my son and I fell out on last cruise.:o .on the NOS in the Caribbean...he didnt want to wear suit .so rather than "break the rules"..he ate in windjammer and I ate in dining room...but it wasnt the same at all:( ...specially as I was on my "own".

Advice....try not stress about it....go with what you and your family feel comfy with....dont let others dictate what you wear...oh I am hoping by our next cruise ..in under two months,that my son will take a liking for wearing a suit....if not......och well...who knows:eek:

Good luck

Liz

My point is that you can't just go by what is written on the website but by what people's actual experiences are.

Of course I guess you could just go ahead and dress for the smart casual night that wasn't on a casual night, but then you would be disregarding the expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests on the ship.

There have been smart casual nights on every RCI cruise in my experience. And this is also the REQUIREMENT for the specialty restaurants aboard.

As for people's "actual experiences" I find these to be just as biased as the dress code opinions expressed on these boards. If one wears jeans to the dining room and there are a few other pax so attired, then I would guess that validates that person's decision to wear jeans in their minds.

I don't know what the "expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests" means. Casual is not the same to everyone. I dress up for dinner every evening. For me, a casual outfit would be a silk dress with heels. Dressing down to meet the lower standards of others is not for me.

Re the OPs question, I was on a Med cruise last month. As it was summer, there were many teens aboard. Most wore suits for formal nights, but not all. The Europeans in general dress more elegantly than Americans and this was evident on my cruise.

Having teens myself, I can understand your problem, especially having 2 of them :p . I'll have to go with the above poster who says not to stress over it too much. At the same time, I do believe young people do need to learn about proper dress for occasions. Not knowing your teens, especially not knowing your relationship with them, it is hard for anyone to give you an absolute answer.

I've also not been on a Med cruise (yet!), but I have been on several cruises. I have formal shots from almost all of them. The one photo of my son in just a shirt and tie, no jacket, well, it looks like he doesn't really belong with the rest of the family, he looks unfinished. Our following cruise, I did go out and purchase him a black sports coat, dark tan dress slacks and dress shirt, all on sale, I got the outfit for around $100, not including shoes. Fortunately, he has not grown since (a miracle, he was 14 at the time of purchase and already 6'4"!) and has worn this outfit a number of times.

The hard part, the part I understand, is that kids can grow several inches in both directions in just a few months. Shop for sales, there is always a deal to be found.

Bottom line is, no one can really tell you absolutely what to do, you will have to make that decision for yourself. You may see some of both on your cruise.

Quote from caviargal " As for people's "actual experiences" I find these to be just as biased as the dress code opinions expressed on these boards. If one wears jeans to the dining room and there are a few other pax so attired, then I would guess that validates that person's decision to wear jeans in their minds."

This is what I always think to myself when reading posts regarding clothing standards. Very well put.

There have been smart casual nights on every RCI cruise in my experience. And this is also the REQUIREMENT for the specialty restaurants aboard.

As for people's "actual experiences" I find these to be just as biased as the dress code opinions expressed on these boards. If one wears jeans to the dining room and there are a few other pax so attired, then I would guess that validates that person's decision to wear jeans in their minds.

I don't know what the "expected standard of dress expected by the vast majority of guests" means. Casual is not the same to everyone. I dress up for dinner every evening. For me, a casual outfit would be a silk dress with heels. Dressing down to meet the lower standards of others is not for me.

Re the OPs question, I was on a Med cruise last month. As it was summer, there were many teens aboard. Most wore suits for formal nights, but not all. The Europeans in general dress more elegantly than Americans and this was evident on my cruise.

On the Rhapsody the last two times I cruised, one as recently as March of this year, there were two formal nights and the rest were casual. This was according to the printed daily compasses. There are no specialty restaurants on this particular ship.

So the website while helpful is not necessarily what people will experience once on board a particular ship. So therefore it does help to get people’s “actual experiences” on board. My point had nothing to do with not wearing clothing according to the guidelines but merely was pointing out that the website was not accurate in the number of and type of nights to be expected on any given cruise.

For the “expected standard” you will have to ask hdawson since I was responding to his post.

As for people's "actual experiences" I find these to be just as biased as the dress code opinions expressed on these boards.
The question was on observations, not opinions. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference between a tux and jeans?

The question was on observations, not opinions. Are you telling me you can't tell the difference between a tux and jeans?

No, I am quite capable of telling the difference, thank you, and have no idea how you interpreted that from my post. I do not believe jeans belong on a ship in the formal dining room in the evenings, period. My observation and my opinion are the same: they look tacky and inappropriate.

I was responding to the post that suggested "actual experiences" are more valid than the lines published guidelines. Just because some pax choose to ignore guidelines, which would be an "actual experience", does not make the guidelines irrelevant. Some folks, however, apparently conclude that because others choose to dress in a certain fashion, this makes it acceptable.

No, I am quite capable of telling the difference, thank you, and have no idea how you interpreted that from my post. I do not believe jeans belong on a ship in the formal dining room in the evenings, period. My observation and my opinion are the same: they look tacky and inappropriate.

I was responding to the post that suggested "actual experiences" are more valid than the lines published guidelines. Just because some pax choose to ignore guidelines, which would be an "actual experience", does not make the guidelines irrelevant. Some folks, however, apparently conclude that because others choose to dress in a certain fashion, this makes it acceptable.

I don't think anyone but you mentioned jeans in any post on this thread. My post on actual experiences had to do not with the guidelines as to dress but as to the number of casual, smart casual, formal on a given cruise. The website is not accurate in that respect. This is according to my "actual experience" on the Rhapsody in March of this year and per the daily compass which Royal Caribbean put in my cabin each day. There were no smart casual nights. This has nothing to do with pax ignoring the guidelines just that there is a conflict between the website and what is done BY THE CRUISELINE on some ships. Therefore, it is a good idea to find out what people's "actual experiences" are at least in regard to the number of casual, smart casual and formal days.

This has nothing to do with pax ignoring the guidelines just that there is a conflict between the website and what is done BY THE CRUISELINE on some ships. Therefore, it is a good idea to find out what people's "actual experiences" are at least in regard to the number of casual, smart casual and formal days.

Keksie: if it is important to you to know what others have experienced on a particular ship, then great! For me, I really don't care as I pack what I feel is in good taste based on the guidelines and my personal style. Whether on a ship or on land, what others choose to wear does not influence my choices.

On a recent cruise (not RCI), there were a good number of passengers in shorts and tanks at dinner, despite the daily notices that it was not permitted. These passengers ignored the policy and the cruise line chose to ignore them ignoring the policy. While I find it a shame, the pax in shorts and tanks were very likely quite pleased with themselves and the cruise line.

Last night I went out to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I wore a silk dress and heels as that is what I feel is appropriate for a nice dinner, as well as being my personal style. While most people were well dressed, there were several that looked as if they should be working in the yard. That might be their personal style, but it would never influence me in making a decision on what to wear to that particular restaurant. This is the point I am trying to make. The behavior of others is not how I base my decisions.

And I used jeans to illustrate a point. That particular issue will never be resolved on these boards.

Keksie: if it is important to you to know what others have experienced on a particular ship, then great! For me, I really don't care as I pack what I feel is in good taste based on the guidelines and my personal style. Whether on a ship or on land, what others choose to wear does not influence my choices.

On a recent cruise (not RCI), there were a good number of passengers in shorts and tanks at dinner, despite the daily notices that it was not permitted. These passengers ignored the policy and the cruise line chose to ignore them ignoring the policy. While I find it a shame, the pax in shorts and tanks were very likely quite pleased with themselves and the cruise line.

Last night I went out to dinner at a very nice restaurant. I wore a silk dress and heels as that is what I feel is appropriate for a nice dinner, as well as being my personal style. While most people were well dressed, there were several that looked as if they should be working in the yard. That might be their personal style, but it would never influence me in making a decision on what to wear to that particular restaurant. This is the point I am trying to make. The behavior of others is not how I base my decisions.

And I used jeans to illustrate a point. That particular issue will never be resolved on these boards.

I am sorry that you still do not understand my posts. My point was not what the passengers are wearing or not wearing but what the cruiseline has on the website versus what the cruiseline puts on the daily compasses in regards to the number of casual, smart casual and formal nights.

Since you don't care about actual experiences then I guess you won't have any questions, however, many people do and I think that instead of just quoting the website it is more helpful to get answers from people who have just been on the ship in question in terms of how many of the different types of nights there are.

While just like you I am content with my own personal style it is helpful to know how many formals to pack. I am thinking a man might wish to know since smart casual would necessitate a separate jacket and they do take up room in the luggage.

I do not believe jeans belong on a ship in the formal dining room in the evenings, period. My observation and my opinion are the same: they look tacky and inappropriate.

Just because some pax choose to ignore guidelines, which would be an "actual experience", does not make the guidelines irrelevant.

Since the question is the same one I asked, I don't understand how the published guidelines affect anything. The guidelines state tux or dark suit for formal nights. Since both fit within the guidelines, the question was how many are wearing tuxes and how many are wearing dark suits. Only observation can answer this question.

And that was the only questioned asked…having nothing to do with your opinion of the observance of the dress code.

Since the question is the same one I asked, I don't understand how the published guidelines affect anything. The guidelines state tux or dark suit for formal nights. Since both fit within the guidelines, the question was how many are wearing tuxes and how many are wearing dark suits. Only observation can answer this question.

And that was the only questioned asked…having nothing to do with your opinion of the observance of the dress code.

People reply as THEY deem appropriate, not as YOU deem appropriate. That's part of the beauty of an open discussion forum.

People reply as THEY deem appropriate, not as YOU deem appropriate.
And how does that help the OP?

The idea of an open forum is to share information. The OP was very specific in her question...a Med cruise and tux vs. suit.

IMO, your response and many others on this string have used the question as vehicle to tell us your opinion on dress without addressing the question, all from the safety of anonymity.

Based on the 3 cruises that my wife and I have been on (not MED cruises, carib cruises) I would say less than 1/4 of the men in tuxes another 1/3 to 1/2 in suits mostly blue/black another 1/3 or so in a sport coat and the remiander with no jacket at all some with tie and a collar shirt and some polo shirts and the odd slob or two. The few boys/young men that were there dressed similar to the fathers in most circumstances with some subbing a dark suit if the dad was wearing a tux.

These cruises were wre in October/Miami departure May/Baltimore departure and Sept/NY departure. 1st 2 Carnival last on RCCL.

Hope this helps a little.

Technically, In the original post there was no question asked….I did not see any “?’s”.

Technically, In the original post there was no question asked….I did not see any “?’s”.
Maybe you didn’t see a question mark…even MS Word didn’t see one, but it was implied.
Does anyone have any experience of what teenagers generally do/wear on the formal nights.
Further, the OP clarified her meaning in Post #34 and even used upper case to emphasize that it was a question.

I am well aware of what the stated dress code is & I do not have a problem with buying the boys tuxedo's if they are NEEDED. If not tuxedo's they would certainly be in shirt/tie etc.

MY QUESTION WAS ..... has anyone ACTUALLY BEEN ON a Med cruise with teenagers and if so what were they ACTUALLY WEARING - as oppossed [sic] to what everyone thinks they should wear!!!! Personally I would love for all the children to dress appropriately but I don't want my boys to be the odd ones out.

And what is the point of your post?????

Archived