The Voyage of the Crazy Hair Monster (review, will be long and pic-intensive)

adivineeternity

Don't worry, you're wrong. I have a kidney infection. Today was the first day I could sit up properly for more than five minutes without considerable pain.

I hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself, the review can always wait.

Cherie

I hope you feel better soon! Take care of yourself, the review can always wait.

Cherie

I hope so, too, Cherie. If I had my laptop, this wouldn't even be an issue. But I've only been able to use James's work laptop at night, although we've both been ignoring computers lately. His laptop also has no way to edit photos, so I'd need to be able to sit up at his desk to get the photos done. I really want to include photos for you guys.

I'm off to West Point for football tomorrow, but with any luck that won't aggravate things and I'll be able to edit photos and get at least one post up before the week starts. If the guy fixing my laptop is there tomorrow, I am gonna check in with him to see how it's coming along. But I promise, I have big plans for this review, and have for a few months now.

Don't worry, you're wrong. I have a kidney infection. Today was the first day I could sit up properly for more than five minutes without considerable pain.

So sorry you've been so sick, and glad to hear you're beginning to feel better.

And computer issues make us sick, too; at I know they do me.

So hope both you and the computer are on the mend, and can get back to normal soon.

As Donna said, I've got my next post in the works. ALL day one photos have been sorted, edited, and marked. They are ready to go. I have the first bit of the post written, finally. I was going to post tonight, but the photos I just spent all day on took a very long time, partially because I was distracted. I am off of work all week, so I'm trying to get through some of my creative endeavors, such as these photos, this review, and my prep for NaNoWriMo (if you don't know what that is, google is your friend). I'm also looking for a new job this week.

Tomorrow, however, WILL include at least one post for this review, some photos, and hopefully the bulk of, if not all, the sorting for day 2.

As I write this, it is after midnight and I am in some pain again. I bid you all adieu.

OMG FINALLY! I'm back on MY laptop AND this is a real post. The second of a zillion because I'm realizing I might write too much.

DAY ONE - 9/21 - We’re Off to see the Wizard…

After some conversation, we noticed that some people were walking toward the ship. These people were carrying wedding things and we all watched as the wedding party, as we had figured them to be, made their way toward the ship. Once that finished, we turned back and talked more about the trip, who had cruised before, and whatever else came up.

Then we got confused. Someone may have potentially called boarding group 6, but we weren’t sure. So we all craned our necks to see if anybody was boarding, then stood up. Then sat down. Then decided “heck, we may as well stand up. If they’re not boarding us, they’ll turn us away.”

IT WAS TIME! Someone came over and ushered us out of our seating area, so we all gathered up our things and made our way to the podium we were directed to. I could already hear the music pumping from the ship as I handed over my key card to be scanned. I was surprised to learn that this was essentially it for checking in. “Wow,” commented le boyfriend extraordinaire, as he followed me outside and up the gangway. “That’s it? That was incredibly easy!”

There is an excellent chance I danced a little, as well. What can I say? I’d been dreaming about my first cruise for 17 years.

It all became very, very real and VERY, VERY good as I set foot onto the Breakaway and was greeted by smiling staff members. While we sat in the terminal, I had attempted to figure out if I could see our stateroom from where we were sitting, once someone pointed out deck 8 to us, and soon I would be finding out if I was right.

“So? That’s really it? What do we do now?” I looked over at James, aforementioned boyfriend, and shrugged. How should I know? Months of research on Cruise Critic hadn’t adequately prepared me for the moment I set foot on the ship and ticked something amazing off of my bucket list.

“I guess we just… find our room. Drop off our carry-ons. I don’t think it’ll be clean yet.” We walked over to the elevators, where we had a short wait, then got on and went up to the tenth deck. Within a few seconds of getting off the elevator, we were there, cabin 10876 - specifically chosen for it’s location on a deck sandwiched between cabin-only decks and near the elevators and stairs as well as its angled balcony - and before I could say a thing James was sliding his keycard into the reader and opening the door.

It was maybe 11:45 am and, much to our surprise, our room was clean and ready.

“Wow, this is small,” James remarked as we made our way into the cabin and the door shut behind us. “Really small.”

“Well, of course it is. How big did you think it’d be?”

“I know, I just didn’t realize how small 207 square feet would be.” And then he dropped his stuff on the couch and went straight onto the balcony. “OH MY GOSH THIS IS AWESOME, HUN!” I put my stuff down on the bed and stepped onto the balcony, which was larger than I expected, and immediately realized that I had guessed our stateroom correctly.

“Ha! This is the one I was pointing at from the terminal!”

“Oh is it?”

“Yup! Go me.”

I smiled at James and went back inside to grab my camera, wrestling with my skirt to make it fit a little better. We each grabbed a few shots from the balcony, then went back into the cabin. “Now what do we do?” James asked. I’m clearly the supreme know-it-all of the cruising world at this point.

“Well, you said in the terminal you were hungry. So we can probably go find a place to get lunch.”

“Yeah, I am. I think they said something about the pool deck. Which one is the pool deck?”

“Not a clue. Let’s just go up and see what we can find.” So we did. We made sure our bags were out of the way, in case a steward or anybody needed to go back in for anything, then went back to the elevators and got on one. My own theory was to press the button for the highest numbered deck possible, but this was already done for us. By the others on the elevator. “You guys hungry to? Cause we are and we’re off to look for food.” The others nodded and chuckled a bit and, within seconds, we were on deck 15. James and I got off and looked at each other. “We may as well follow the people who already said they’re hungry and looking for food.”

GOOD INSTINCTS. :-D

We followed them right into the Garden Cafe. Rather than take any amount of time to look at the options, I caved to the first thing I found: pot roast, potatoes, carrots, green beans, and mashed potatoes. And then I saw it.

Pretzels. Well, pretzel bread sticks. I NEEDED THEM.

“BABE. LOOK!” I showed him the treasure trove of absolute win. “PRETZELS.” This was, I think, the selling point for James, although he claims it was later in the day. Once we both had our meals (he had the same thing I did, but carved roast beef with gravy instead of pot roast), we found a table and ate our meal. The green beans, I must say, were DELICIOUS. I greatly enjoyed everything I ate, though, and the pretzel bread sticks were very yummy.

After lunch it was time to explore the ship from top to bottom. We made our way out to the pool deck and all the way forward:

James1.jpg

NYCfromport.jpg

I was falling in love with the ship more with every second and we both noted the ropes course we absolutely had to do. I also pointed out the slides. “See those? I’m doing them. All of them.”

Once we finished the upper decks, we made our way to deck 8, where the most exciting thing ever was waiting for us. I’m not there yet, so be patient.

We walked past all the different restaurants and everything, eventually finding our way to a sight I think more than one person will recognize:

Chandelier.jpg

I love this chandelier, by the way.

Once we finished looking around inside, we happened across doors to the wonderful that is the Waterfront. Ohhh, the Waterfront, site of good memories, great sunsets, and several of our delicious meals on the ship. And the most exciting thing ever?

“GELATO!”

What happened to the rest of this?

I feel your pain. I feel a little deflated too. There's too many of these reviews that start out to big fan fare and pizzazz and then quickly fizzle out. I've gotten into the habit of ignoring reviews until they reach about 10 pages. Only then do you know that the OP is committed to it. But the title of this thread got me hooked early. And here I sit, feeling let down.

The Carnival boards were full of reviews like this. I read one where the OP came back almost 2 YEARS LATER claiming she forgot about it. To her credit; she did finish it, albeit very briefly.

Come on OP. Spit out the words, then throw your images up on imgur and be done with it. It doesn't have to be pretty. There isn't an award for style on these boards.

Edited by rajones007

I feel your pain. I feel a little deflated too. There's too many of these reviews that start out to big fan fare and pizzazz and then quickly fizzle out. I've gotten into the habit of ignoring reviews until they reach about 10 pages. Only then do you know that the OP is committed to it. But the title of this thread got me hooked early. And here I sit, feeling let down.

The Carnival boards were full of reviews like this. I read one where the OP came back almost 2 YEARS LATER claiming she forgot about it. To her credit; she did finish it, albeit very briefly.

Come on OP. Spit out the words, then throw your images up on imgur and be done with it. It doesn't have to be pretty. There isn't an award for style on these boards.

Come on, give the OP a break. Her writing style is obviously very important to her (she is prepping for NaNoWriMo), and she came back to let us know she was delayed. She was sick and now she's looking for a job. Life gets in the way.

I'm excited to read a quality review when she is able to do it.

L