Oasis in St Thomas- Easier thru ship?

bigsky

We'll be stopping in St Thomas on the Oasis soon. I read they dock at a different spot than most ships do. We always like to go over to St John with a private excursion. Is anyone familiar with the spot that the Oasis docks, if it's easier just to go thru the ship for an excursion? Just wondering if it's much easier this way since it' might be in a less than convenient spot and more difficult for us to get to them? Make any difference?

Would like to take a catamaran of some sort.

Thank you!

We'll be stopping in St Thomas on the Oasis soon. I read they dock at a different spot than most ships do. We always like to go over to St John with a private excursion. Is anyone familiar with the spot that the Oasis docks, if it's easier just to go thru the ship for an excursion? Just wondering if it's much easier this way since it' might be in a less than convenient spot and more difficult for us to get to them? Make any difference?

Would like to take a catamaran of some sort.

Thank you!

I have done it through the ship about 6 times and I think it is the most convenient way and it is cost effective as well. I especially like it on the way home when the ferry pulls right up to the dock where the ship is and you don't have to take your sticky sandy body and put it in a cab......

You're docked in Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie so you're a bit further from the Red Hook ferry on the East End than say Carnival and other RCCL ships that dock at Havensight (WICO) which is to the east of CA.

Having said that, you can easily taxi to Red Hook on your own and take the shorter 20 min ferry to Cruz bay, STJ. The price is comparable as is the travel time, but you're getting a tour of STT and a nicer ferry ride rather than a 45 min ferry ride from the cruise dock area.

Really a matter of preference, many return visitors prefer the self-excursion (30 mn taxi to red Hook, 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz for about $36pp roundtrip for more freedom and flexibility and you generally get more time on STJ. Others like the security and ease of going through the ship and taking the longer ferry, but that can also be much rougher.

Many ppl stay on STT when not a lot of time in port and take a short taxi to Lindbergh Bay, or a longer taxi to the East End and go to a nicer beach like Sapphire, Secret Harbor, or Smith's Bay.

Here's a map showing the locations of Crown Bay and Havensight for your reference, just click on it to enlarge. Have fun! :)

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

I want to do an excursion of taking a catamaran over and do snorkeling. Not just ferry over to St John. That's why I'm thinking I should do this thru the ship? We usually dock at the other spot, so it was easy to just walk where we met them. Thinking we'd just taxi over to the spot to meet them? Maybe I'm making a bigger deal than it is. Just wondering if anyone else has done this and who they used.

Thanks again!

I don't know your time in port but yes you can easily take the excursion offered through the ship and they will provide transfers to the boat.

You can also book directly with one of the excellent sailboat operators like Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, and New Horizons for monohull daysails to the cays off STJ, or one of the cats that go elsewhere.

The private ops are listed under daysails and St Thomas at vinow dot com and you'll find reviews of them at tripadvisor dot com that may help you decide what you want.

I don't know your time in port but yes you can easily take the excursion offered through the ship and they will provide transfers to the boat.

You can also book directly with one of the excellent sailboat operators like Yacht Nightwind, High Pockets, and New Horizons for monohull daysails to the cays off STJ, or one of the cats that go elsewhere.

The private ops are listed under daysails and St Thomas at vinow dot com and you'll find reviews of them at tripadvisor dot com that may help you decide what you want.

10-7...Thanks for the info! We rarely do excursions thru the ship and prefer to do on our own. Will check these out.

• 2 weeks later...
You're docked in Crown Bay which is to the west of Charlotte Amalie so you're a bit further from the Red Hook ferry on the East End than say Carnival and other RCCL ships that dock at Havensight (WICO) which is to the east of CA.

Having said that, you can easily taxi to Red Hook on your own and take the shorter 20 min ferry to Cruz bay, STJ. The price is comparable as is the travel time, but you're getting a tour of STT and a nicer ferry ride rather than a 45 min ferry ride from the cruise dock area.

Really a matter of preference, many return visitors prefer the self-excursion (30 mn taxi to red Hook, 15 - 20 min ferry to Cruz for about $36pp roundtrip for more freedom and flexibility and you generally get more time on STJ. Others like the security and ease of going through the ship and taking the longer ferry, but that can also be much rougher.

Many ppl stay on STT when not a lot of time in port and take a short taxi to Lindbergh Bay, or a longer taxi to the East End and go to a nicer beach like Sapphire, Secret Harbor, or Smith's Bay.

Here's a map showing the locations of Crown Bay and Havensight for your reference, just click on it to enlarge. Have fun! :)

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

^^ This. :)

We too will be on the Oasis in November is there shopping within walking distance of the Crown Bay dock or do we need to walk/taxi to Havensight or some other shopping area? Thanks

Crown Bay has a mini Havensight. They don't have nearly as many stores but it has been built up some. You will find some smaller versions of the same stores they have at Havensight. This area is right at the dock, same as like at Havensight.