Ecstasy tragedy this morning

pamrose228

Civilian marine radars rarely have a power density of more than 10W/m^2 when you're a meter away from them. Assuming this guy weighed 90kg and had a cross-sectional area of 1m^2, his SAR would've been about 0.11W/kg, well below the 4W/kg needed to produce known adverse health effects according to the WHO.

Wasn't aware of the WHO threshold limits, but I've found info in manuals for several Furuno radars typical of large merchant/cruise ships that have a power density of 100W/m2 at about 0.9 to 1 meter, and you have to go out to 9 meters or so to get to 10W/m2. I would think his exposure would have been closer to 1.5W/kg, still less than WHO threshold, but all radar mfg. don't recommend looking at the antenna from close up, so there probably would always be eye damage.

Heartbreaking to hear. His poor family. Abd to some degree the fellow cruise passengers. I'm not sure how I would handle something like that happening on my cruise.

Sent from my GT-I8730 using Forums mobile app

On a cruise from San Francisco to Alaska, when we got into port in San Francisco, there was a man laid out on the Baja deck of the Princess Star. He died of a heart attack. I felt bad for him and his wife. However, what this young man did was totally stupid, I guess I feel bad that he was so stupid to do such a thing.

anyway... this is a very sad situation for the person that died and his family... I wish people would lighten up on the "stupid" remarks. The family may be cc members... they are going through enough heartache..

Thank you.

Uh, they're probably saying the same thing as we are. I feel for their loss, but at the same time saying "how could he be so stupid to do such a thing." I've had a suicide in my family and we all say the same thing.

Thank you.

Uh, they're probably saying the same thing as we are. I feel for their loss, but at the same time saying "how could he be so stupid to do such a thing." I've had a suicide in my family and we all say the same thing.

Same here. Ours was an accidental suicide due to our son being just 14, and very ADHD. Just thought he would play a horrible joke on his sister and her friend. He's my first born and my son, I still question his stupid decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same here. Ours was an accidental suicide due to our son being just 14, and very ADHD. Just thought he would play a horrible joke on his sister and her friend. He's my first born and my son, I still question his stupid decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

And we will never know why. It's been over a year and the scars are still there. They will never go away. It wasn't a horrible joke, it was an outright decision to punish people. Why? It was one big mistake that this lad made. I'm sorry for your loss.

No one has mentioned this, and I am just thinking out loud, but perhaps his intention was not to survive the fall:confused:

I was actually thinking this too! It really is sad. I mean it's hard to ignore all those restricted access signs and even if intoxicated or what not it's hard to argue he didn't know it was dangerous. You never know what is going on in someone's mind...

Taken earlier this year (on same class ship) . . . this dude will scoot over to make a nearly identical attempt. He eventually tired of the idea because of the challenge of dodging the rotating equipment so that it didn't knock his block off.

Climbing%20Trio%201-XL.jpg

I feel bad for his family, but can't help but wonder if Carnival will be sued over this, though this man was responsible for his actions and the result. Kids making poor decisions. So sad......[/quote

I hate this happened for everyone involved including the cruise ship..His bad decision makes it hard for a lot of ppl..also why the cruiseships can not keep prices lower..seems they are always on the racks trying to defend themselves..that cost money and like everything else that rolls downhill to us..

By law yes he is an adult but in reality he is a kid. I have a 19 year old who is still very much a kid. I was a 19 and 20 year old in the military with a very real dangerous job. Guess what we were all still kids and acted like kids when not on duty. 19 and 20 year old adults as they say probably have the worst decision judegement around since they think they are bullet proof and invincible.

I feel for the family.

Having a 20 year old son of my own, I read "20 year old man" and thought, "Man?? He's still just a boy, at least to his momma." My heart breaks for his family.

EXACTLY!! 20 is not a MAN, unless you grew up hard and fast. In our sheltered kids' lives, 20 is a boy. I have a 30 year old who acted like he was 12 on our last cruise. My husband wanted to send him off on his own cruise rather than sail with us. I would NEVER allow that- he is lucky he's here with his actions and need for fun, without alcohol. I've already lost one son, so I won't lose another, God willing.

My heart goes out to the parents and the loss of a life yet to be lived.

Here is the article that ran on our local news about this kid since he attended Clemson which is in the upstate where I live.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/clemson-releases-statement-about-another-student-death/28331012?request-from-editor=true&showAds=0&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wyff%2Bnews%2B4

Edited by SassySabby

EXACTLY!! 20 is not a MAN, unless you grew up hard and fast. In our sheltered kids' lives, 20 is a boy. I have a 30 year old who acted like he was 12 on our last cruise. My husband wanted to send him off on his own cruise rather than sail with us. I would NEVER allow that- he is lucky he's here with his actions and need for fun, without alcohol. I've already lost one son, so I won't lose another, God willing.

My heart goes out to the parents and the loss of a life yet to be lived.

Thirty acting like twelve? At age thirty, my friends and I were Captains responsible for a multi-million dollar airplane flying 34 passengers, a first officier, and a flight attendant.

Guess I grew up "hard and fast"

Here is the article that ran on our local news about this kid since he attended Clemson which is in the upstate where I live.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/clemson-releases-statement-about-another-student-death/28331012?request-from-editor=true&showAds=0&utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=wyff%2Bnews%2B4

Thanks for posting the link. It's amazing that all 5 of them weren't hurt or killed.