Staatendam forward Veranda deck: public outdoor space?

DesertPesce7751

We've been looking at the deck plans for the Staatendam and found something we didn't know about: what looks like a public open deck at the forward of the Veranda Deck.

We're going on a month-long cruise and are currently booked in an ocean view room on the Lower Promenade Deck. We typically book a verandah but, because it's such a long cruise, this was out of our budget. So, the next best thing, we thought, was to get a room on a floor with outdoor access.

The LP has a lot of traffic (walkers, clandestine smokers, etc.), so when we saw that the Verandah deck has what look like a cluster of cabins near doors to go outside, we got curious.

Has anyone booked these rooms? If so/if not (either way), has anyone been out on the deck by these rooms?

1. Is it unbearably windy when the ship is in motion?

2. Is it heavily patronized by smokers or pretty smoke-free?

3. Are there deck chairs and is there shade/cover overhead?

Thanks so much!

We've been looking at the deck plans for the Staatendam and found something we didn't know about: what looks like a public open deck at the forward of the Veranda Deck.

We're going on a month-long cruise and are currently booked in an ocean view room on the Lower Promenade Deck. We typically book a verandah but, because it's such a long cruise, this was out of our budget. So, the next best thing, we thought, was to get a room on a floor with outdoor access.

The LP has a lot of traffic (walkers, clandestine smokers, etc.), so when we saw that the Verandah deck has what look like a cluster of cabins near doors to go outside, we got curious.

Has anyone booked these rooms? If so/if not (either way), has anyone been out on the deck by these rooms?

Thanks so much!

I "don't think" it is a public deck from looking at the ship deck plans. Others who have sailed that ship will know. But about your "clandestine smokers" on the LP Deck ... there is no smoking allowed on that deck under HAL's current smoking policy. I would think that should not be a problem now.

Edited by Linda&Vern

That forward outside deck is rarely open, only for scenic cruising (if then).

It is terribly windy out there when the ship is sailing, so the doors are locked. When the deck is open, it is wide open. There is no cover, and no place to sit. The view is good, though.

Thanks so much!

Hi ! I am on your cruise and roll call:). We spent 21 days last Dec./Jan. on the Zaandam in South America in a forward verandah on the Verandah Deck. The Zaandam is larger than the Statendam, but the layout is pretty much the same. The forward deck you are speaking of was an easy to access area we used it frequently. It was windy when the ship was sailing, but the views were amazing (and what you would see in the Crow's Nest) For scenic viewing (Antarctica) it was crowded, but most of the time it was deserted. We never saw anyone smoking. It is not covered except for the sides which access the doors to the Verandah Deck. There are no deck chairs.

It was a good spot to watch the ship sail into the harbor. There were ocean view cabins in that corridor. I did notice that the double doors leading to the outside slammed loudly in the wind if one didn't hold it (which was a challenge in strong wind) so those cabins would be subjected to some noise. We had officer crew cabins above us and the show lounge below so there was some noise but not a problem for us.

We have had a cabin on the LP many times and not been bothered by noise or smoke. We always bring earplugs just in case. One of the noisiest staterooms we every had was a Neptune Suite on the Rotterdam. We have a verandah guarantee on this upcoming cruise. You might ask for an upsell through your TA at the last minute and get a good price. If you have any other questions, ask on our roll call.

Looking forward to meeting you!:)

Karen

AARGH! One of my favorite "secrets". I guess no more.

From top to bottom:

11-Lido Deck. Through fitness center, there's a door to the port (on left) going out to a small front view deck. It has stairwells on both sides going down.

10 - Navigation deck. Just more stairs further down, but you CAN spy into the bridge from there as you go. Go down again.

9 - Veranda Deck. Viewing possible. Big stairs in front go down. (You came down the small stairs on the side.)

8-Upper Prom - you're in a utility area - steel walls. Just keep going down.

7-Promenade. More utility area. Go down again.

6- Lower promenade. You'll come through stairs in an enclosed glass area onto the covered front end of the promenade deck.

Or go in reverse. If the weather is rough, the glass doors at the beginning/end of the trip (Decks 6 and 11) will be signed "no access" or locked. Or both. Otherwise, there is no problem.

But no place to sit. Railing is high - you'd need to be standing to see.

I always feel so naughty peeking into the tiny side window of the bridge as I go past.......

But I love those two small viewing decks. When the bow is full of folks, they're great. (Sorry we're doing Alaska next year on a Vista ship instead - you don't get the same access!)

Barb in so cal ("feathers")

I can tell you what that deck is like on the Ryndam. Forward of the elevators seems to be the Officer's quarters. We saw the Captain and his wife coming and going from that area. You need a key card to get through a door.

Captain's cabin is not on Verandah Deck on Ryndam.

There is the possibility he and his wife were using a 'borrowed' cabin while perhaps maintenance (painting, carpeting or whatever) was being done in his cabin.

That forward deck should not be considered always available public area and the wind is very strong when the ship is moving at speed.