Car Rental ?

junglecat

All of the major rental companies have "shuttle for cruise ships" locations that are off-airport and they will pick you up at the pier for free with a shuttle bus and take you to that location to pick up your car. These rental locations are usually really busy, depending on the day and how many ships are coming and going.

If you were to pick up at the airport, you'd be incurring a taxi or bus transfer charge, so picking up at an off-airport would save you at least that much and maybe some of the extra "airport" fees included w/rentals picked up there. Don''t know if you'd still incur those particular fees by dropping off at FLL, I would do a couple of "dummy" bookings to see all of the fees charged either way.

Good luck.:)

All of the major rental companies have "shuttle for cruise ships" locations that are off-airport and they will pick you up at the pier for free with a shuttle bus and take you to that location to pick up your car. These rental locations are usually really busy, depending on the day and how many ships are coming and going.

If you were to pick up at the airport, you'd be incurring a taxi or bus transfer charge, so picking up at an off-airport would save you at least that much and maybe some of the extra "airport" fees included w/rentals picked up there. Don''t know if you'd still incur those particular fees by dropping off at FLL, I would do a couple of "dummy" bookings to see all of the fees charged either way.

Good luck.:)

Do you know if you drop off the car at the airport , if you can hitch a ride to the port with the shuttle?

Do you know if you drop off the car at the airport , if you can hitch a ride to the port with the shuttle?

I've never done that, sorry, but did a quick forums search and it looks as though there is a shared shuttle if you've rented from Alamo/National/Enterprise. From the few threads I read about it, looks as tho they're very crowded and have high wait times. If you're going this route, looks like the recommendations are to drop off your passengers and all luggage at the pier first.

Some people said you're better off jumping in a taxi after dropping off at FLL.

Edited by dreamer976

Only Alamo/National shuttle from the airport and only if you are renting or returning a car from them. If need be, a cab between FLL and Port Everglades would be about $15.00 for up to 4 people.

Courtesy member MADflyer, here are the other companies at their off-site locations:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

Only Alamo/National shuttle from the airport and only if you are renting or returning a car from them. If need be, a cab between FLL and Port Everglades would be about $15.00 for up to 4 people.

Courtesy member MADflyer, here are the other companies at their off-site locations:

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit.

I think safest, cheapest bet is pick up and drop off at an off site non airport location and pick up a cab to the port

Thanks again...

I think safest, cheapest bet is pick up and drop off at an off site non airport location and pick up a cab to the port

Thanks again...

I do know from experience that the off-airport locations that Langley Cruisers posted above for Budget, Dollar/thrifty do have the free shuttles to the port, with no fee (except, perhaps, a tip).

Hope you have a great cruise!

I do know from experience that the off-airport locations that Langley Cruisers posted above for Budget, Dollar/thrifty do have the free shuttles to the port, with no fee (except, perhaps, a tip).

Hope you have a great cruise!

Agree, but found better rate at enterprise, so short cab ride would be $10-$15 compared to a few hundred more (4 day rental)

Thanks