What time is a good time to arrive for Embarkation?

blnorman

What time does everyone usually get there to board the ship? Does it help if you are earlier vs. coming a little later? I know there is something to be said about starting your vacation as early as possible, but if embarkation starts around 11ish would it hurt if I arrived around 1:30 or 2ish?

Or is this one of those things it's just better to be early for?

What time does everyone usually get there to board the ship? Does it help if you are earlier vs. coming a little later? I know there is something to be said about starting your vacation as early as possible, but if embarkation starts around 11ish would it hurt if I arrived around 1:30 or 2ish?

I have only been on three cruises, all out of Galveston. I am a firm believer of arriving later. Get there at 3pm and you will be waiting in line less then those that purchased FTTF, if there is a line at all. And you can stroll right to your awaiting room.

Yeah, you miss one feeding at the buffet, but trust me, by the end of your cruise you might be glad you did.

Edited by Badfinger

I am also a firm believer in arriving later -- after 2:00. No lines, no hauling your carry on around until your room is ready. You avoid the push and shove in the buffet and there will actually be tables available, if you choose to eat something.

If you are staying in a hotel, select one of the many hotels that accommodate late check out and you are all set.

1:30-2:30 you pretty much go straight on. I used to go earlier but I don't care for babysitting my carryons for 2-3 hours

As others said. You get to avoid the cattle traffic jams.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

There are really two schools of thought on this. One, as mentioned above is to get there later, and forego the lines. The second is to arrive earlier, get on the ship early and begin your cruise vacation asap. It is all up to you.

I'm a get all you can kinda gal. I get there early and am usually in the first 3-5 numbers called if I am not in a suite. Once your number is called you only stop to get your picture taken. You just keep moving. I would estimate from the time our number is called it is less than 5 minutes until we have a drink in our hand at the lobby bar. I love the ship when there is hardly no one on it.

You should be fine as long as you get there with enough time to board the ship. FIL touts that 2pm is the best time to board because he is coming after the rush. I think that if your are comfortable with an arrival time of 1:30 you will be fine... any time before about 45 minutes of departure.

Happy sailing

I had been warned at one time not to wait too long or they will consider you a "no show". Possibly loosing your room. That's a bit on the scary side. :eek: Is that true and what time is "oops, too late" ?

It is a TSA or Homeland security thing. I would get there an hour before departure time.

We're almost always coming from a hotel the night before and when I'm on vacation, I'm not in any rush to get up early to be anywhere early if I don't have to be. So I'm more the "latest normal checkout possible" kind of guy. So if it is a noon checkout in a Houston-IAH hotel and we're getting a cab or car down to Galveston, then it works out to a port arrival around 1:00 and getting on the ship at a time when going to the cabin before the "recommended" time is not an issue.

We just got FTTF because we really want to get on early to photograph the ship and explore when less people are wandering about. No long lines and we will be standing on the ship with our first DOTD asap. Plus with FTTF our room will already be ready so we can just drop off all our stuff and be free to do whatever.

We are driving from Austin and are hoping to arrive at port around 10:45am at the latest to park and everything. We want to be some of the first on the ship, but I know most people prefer to get on later...I feel like i I'm paying for that day I'm going to get my money's worth. Heh.

I have to check out of the hotel anyway so I like to get to the port around 10:30. It does me no good to twiddle my thumbs in the hotel. I may as well be at the port waiting with other people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cruise line will give you the times you are to arrive between. We usually arrive later in that time frame and usually have little or no wait.