Will be in Maui a week the end of October

Beth & Rob

There are so many great recommendations and such knowledgeable people, I thought rather than continue to read all the posts searching, I'd try to ask several questions on one post. I do enjoy the read, but trying to keep things in order.

This will be my first trip to Hawaii. I'm 61, young at heart, game to try anything. Love to snorkle, not much on hiking hills, good on the flats. We will have a car. We are staying at Sands of Kahana. So that being said...

Luau recommendations

Whale / turtle adventures

Scooter rentals

Snorkeling adventures

Good beach for walk-in snorkeling

Good beach for sunning

Drives not to miss

Funky restaurants

shopping

zip-lining

Any and all other suggestions graciously appreciated. :o

It's not quite "whale season"...so don't get your hopes too high for that...they are more prevalent in the winter and early spring...they come to calve!

Your rental car will take you anywhere...get a guidebook on Hawaii...that will tell you EVERYTHING about Maui...then you can plan your time there!

For this type of question, you're better off checking the TripAdvisor site. Here's the link to their Maui forum:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g29220-i86-Maui_Hawaii.html

You can browse just like on Cruise Critic, ask your own questions, or just read their "Top questions" section. You can also research & read reviews of specific hotels/condos and restaurants, as well as tours and activities.

There are so many great recommendations and such knowledgeable people, I thought rather than continue to read all the posts searching, I'd try to ask several questions on one post. I do enjoy the read, but trying to keep things in order.

This will be my first trip to Hawaii. I'm 61, young at heart, game to try anything. Love to snorkle, not much on hiking hills, good on the flats. We will have a car. We are staying at Sands of Kahana. So that being said...

Luau recommendations

Whale / turtle adventures

Scooter rentals

Snorkeling adventures

Good beach for walk-in snorkeling

Good beach for sunning

Drives not to miss

Funky restaurants

shopping

zip-lining

Any and all other suggestions graciously appreciated. :o

We were in port for 2 days; our plan was to drive the Road to Hana the 1st day, then explore Lahaina and the west side the 2nd... then get back to the ship by 4:00pm.

Our attempt at driving the Road to Hana was foiled by rental car breaking down about 15 miles from the rental office. 2 1/2 hours later when our replacement car was delivered, we decided to head back toward Kahalui, then over to the Maui Winery. After that, we backtracked so we could drive to Lahaina. We then spent the rest of the (by now late) afternoon and early evening in Lahaina.

Since the ship was leaving the next day, we decided that we wouldn't chance the Road to Hana unless we could book the excursion through the ship, so we returned the rental car and grabbed the shuttle to the ship.

Of course, the excursion was already sold out, so we booked a trip to the Haleakala Crater. This trip did not disappoint. Although we went on a tour bus, we passed several rental cars on the way up and down. We were at the top at around 11:00am and the weather was much cooler than at sea level, so if you go, be prepared.

Luau recommendations Old Lahaina Luau and the Feast at Lele are the best

Whale / turtle adventures You can see the turtles while snorkelling from shore ... two places that are good are Kapalua Bay and Black Rock

Good beach for walk-in snorkeling Kahekili and Kapalua

Good beach for sunning Any - but Napili Bay is beautiful for both sunning and swimming

Drives not to miss Drive north from Kahana until you get to the Nakalele blowhole - then return the same way ... it's a very scenic drive! Haleakala summit and Road to Hana are also great, but the Road to Hana is an all day event.

Any and all other suggestions graciously appreciated. A week goes fast - don't overplan ... have a few ideas and a reservation or two (you'll need them for the luau and a snorkel or sunset sail) but otherwise just do what you feel like at the time. I agree with the suggestion to get a guide book - this one is good for a week long stay, and to also use the Tripadvisor forum for research. :o

Have a great trip!

Edited by Susan-M

Thanks much for all the information. I appreciate steering away from the whales, no point in spending time looking for tours when there are none to see. :)

Susan M - Your answers are just what I was hoping for. So appreciate!

You're welcome Beth:) Just a note re the luaus that I mentioned ... seating is assigned when you book, so the earlier you book, the closer to the stage you'll be. The Old Lahaina Luau has two types of seating ... I'd recommend the table/chair seating vs. traditional (sitting on the ground on a pillow). I liked the Feast at Lele a bit better than the OLL for two reasons ... private table vs. sitting at a table for 8, and the meal is served vs. a buffet. Shows for both were excellent.