Cash or CC Onboard Account

cessnabmw

First cruise for us. Since we are coming from Toronto, and the exchange rate is crappy, we plan to bring cash that we had bought when the dollar was at par. We want to use this for the on-board account, tips, shore excursions, etc.

Can we opt to have a cash account that we settle on the last day rather than using a CC and incurring fees, exchange rate, etc?

Thanks.

EDIT - We will be on Carnival Freedom.

Edited by cessnabmw

First cruise for us. Since we are coming from Toronto, and the exchange rate is crappy, we plan to bring cash that we had bought when the dollar was at par. We want to use this for the on-board account, tips, shore excursions, etc.

Can we opt to have a cash account that we settle on the last day rather than using a CC and incurring fees, exchange rate, etc?

Thanks.

EDIT - We will be on Carnival Freedom.

you want to do the cash out BEFORE the last night-- maybe close out your account before or after dinner so your card is not run through.

Yes you can open a cash account- just tell the check in person you are using cash.

or open with a CC and go pay it off later

you want to do the cash out BEFORE the last night-- maybe close out your account before or after dinner so your card is not run through.

Yes you can open a cash account- just tell the check in person you are using cash.

or open with a CC and go pay it off later

Can I just not provide a CC?

Yes, you can put down cash at check in. If you exceed the amount you put down, I believe they will call and ask for more. It may be easier to give a credit card at checkin and give cash at the end of the cruise to pay off the account.

If you are not putting down a cc there is a minimum in cash you must put down on first day when setting up the account. It varies by line, but I have a friend who does this as she does not have a credit card and doesn't want to give her bank card (never, ever do that!). Because there is no cc as back up payment, when she got close to the amount she put down they did contact her to add more.

Register a cc when you board, this avoids the business of having to deposit cash & keep it topped-up.

Toward the end of the cruise, at some quiet moment go to guest relations & pay in USD cash to clear the account. Don't leave it til the last moment, to avoid the risk of your cc being debited and to avoid the potentially long & slow lines at guest relations, when others will be "checking out" - sorting out their cash arrangements or querying their accounts.

The big advantage of using a cc is that unless you have a query you don't need to "check out" at all.

You can allow your credit card to settle any last-minute purchases, or figure your last-minute spend & put your account into credit by that much. The cost of your card settling a small outstanding balance will be trivial, better than joining that last-minute line.

Use only USD cash, you'll probably be caned poor exchange rates if you give them Can dollars.

You'll be asked (most cruise lines distribute a form, I don't know about Carnival) whether you want the cruise line to convert your account from USD to the currency of your card "for your convenience" :rolleyes:.

Same caveat applies - you'll get a lousy rate.

So if you decide to let your cc settle the account, decline that offer to convert and ask that your card be charged in USD. Your card supplier will give you a much better rate, and better even than the best exchange bureau.

Some cards don't charge a fee. Ours doesn't, and the same applies to Cruise Critic regulars from all countries. If you expect to be travelling a lot, it's worth getting a Canadian cc that's free of currency exchange fees.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

Cash is KING! ALL cruise lines will accept cash. NO problem! Many will allow about $500 in charges before you need to put any money on your account....but it's easiest to put some on account when you check in...then if funds run low, they will let you know and you can add some more.

Last April I gave them cash for my card didn't use it all and they gave me back cash at the desk. Very convenient since they sometimes put holds on the CC card.

I figured IF I went over then I'd use a CC. ...they also had a kiosk for adding money or checking your balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Margaritavillager

Thank you! So, if I give some cash and we don't end up using it all, will I get the cash back during checkout or how does it work?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk 4

Yes. unspent cash paid-in is returned to you in cash (USD) at check-out. But you'll have to join those potentially long lines at Guest Relations that I mentioned.

Can I just not provide a CC?

if you do that they make you put a significant amount in cash per person down( many times far more than you may reasonably spend) I wanna say it was $100 per person per day. and yes this applies to the kids in the cabin as well who hopefully cannot spend $100 on soda, smoothies and arcade games a day.

by supplying a CC, you can go down every so often and pay cash to bring your account balance down, or pay it off in full the night before( although I suggest doing so while everyone else is at dinner and the shows otherwise you will be in line forever)

if you do that they make you put a significant amount in cash per person down( many times far more than you may reasonably spend) I wanna say it was $100 per person per day... ..)

Even though if cash account most cruise lines specify $100 per day per person down, most will accept a flat $300 per cabin at check-in, then having it added to whenever that is close to being used up. Cash accounts are not a problem.

Edited by NMLady

Even though if cash account most cruise lines specify $100 per day per person down, most will accept a flat $300 per cabin at check-in, then having it added to whenever that is close to being used up. Cash accounts are not a problem.

granted my last carnival cruse was several years ago but , that was NOT the case. you had to pony up $700 per person for a week long cruise. heard a few arguments and exclamations of dismay. (mostly balking about a deposit that high for the kids) the two I specifically remember(on either side of us checking in) finally just gave up a credit card in order to get the ball rolling. or they gave a cash deposit of what they had on them then secured with a CC

granted my last carnival cruse was several years ago but , that was NOT the case. you had to pony up $700 per person for a week long cruise. heard a few arguments and exclamations of dismay. (mostly balking about a deposit that high for the kids) the two I specifically remember(on either side of us checking in) finally just gave up a credit card in order to get the ball rolling. or they gave a cash deposit of what they had on them then secured with a CC

we have been cruising since 2000 and NEVER had to put down 700. (my bill has never even come close to that.

We turn the kids cards off. We place 300.00 on our account the first night after dinner. IF it gets low you get a note in your cabin to see the quest services. and you will have to place more.

Remember tips are taken off first at 12 pp per day--- yes even for the kids

Edited by serene56

we have been cruising since 2000 and NEVER had to put down 700. (my bill has never even come close to that.

We turn the kids cards off. We place 300.00 on our account the first night after dinner. IF it gets low you get a note in your cabin to see the quest services. and you will have to place more.

Remember tips are taken off first at 12 pp per day--- yes even for the kids

What if you prepay your tips? does this make a difference to the amount of cash you would have to put down?

Register a cc when you board, this avoids the business of having to deposit cash & keep it topped-up.

Toward the end of the cruise, at some quiet moment go to guest relations & pay in USD cash to clear the account. Don't leave it til the last moment, to avoid the risk of your cc being debited and to avoid the potentially long & slow lines at guest relations, when others will be "checking out" - sorting out their cash arrangements or querying their accounts.

The big advantage of using a cc is that unless you have a query you don't need to "check out" at all.

You can allow your credit card to settle any last-minute purchases, or figure your last-minute spend & put your account into credit by that much. The cost of your card settling a small outstanding balance will be trivial, better than joining that last-minute line.

Use only USD cash, you'll probably be caned poor exchange rates if you give them Can dollars.

You'll be asked (most cruise lines distribute a form, I don't know about Carnival) whether you want the cruise line to convert your account from USD to the currency of your card "for your convenience" :rolleyes:.

Same caveat applies - you'll get a lousy rate.

So if you decide to let your cc settle the account, decline that offer to convert and ask that your card be charged in USD. Your card supplier will give you a much better rate, and better even than the best exchange bureau.

Some cards don't charge a fee. Ours doesn't, and the same applies to Cruise Critic regulars from all countries. If you expect to be travelling a lot, it's worth getting a Canadian cc that's free of currency exchange fees.

Just to clarify....We are cruising for the first time with Celebrity. I am assuming the same would apply with AUD? I had told my TA when asked to charge AuD to my card seeing I am from Australia. I was thinking this might work out cheaper. But from what I can understand from above is to let them charge me in US dollars and let my bank convert?

Thanks in advance.

Dot :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums