Dumb luggage tag question

txflood33

so we are gearing up to get on the Reflection on Monday...we have out Celebrity luggage tags and the clever little holders from Amazon.

Do you put these on your bags before you fly to be done with it or do you put them on when you reach the dock?

Just trying to see what things I may need to keep accessible when packing.

Best bet. Don't confuse the airlines by putting them on before flight. They might get ripped pff and it's easier for the baggage handlers to only deal with necessaries. After you retrieve you luggage from the carousel, put them on and remove the airline tags. Also. Just in case, put an itinerary in an outer pocket of each suitcase. Of course in suitcase should have an ID tag with info. Don't put your home info cuz then the crooks know you're not there. We use our name and our son's cellphone as contact number and a note saying 'itinterary in <lower> outside pocket. If things get lost, maybe you luggage can follow you, knowing where you're going. Just my ideas.

Best bet. Don't confuse the airlines by putting them on before flight. They might get ripped pff and it's easier for the baggage handlers to only deal with necessaries. After you retrieve you luggage from the carousel, put them on and remove the airline tags. Also. Just in case, put an itinerary in an outer pocket of each suitcase. Of course in suitcase should have an ID tag with info. Don't put your home info cuz then the crooks know you're not there. We use our name and our son's cellphone as contact number and a note saying 'itinterary in <lower> outside pocket. If things get lost, maybe you luggage can follow you, knowing where you're going. Just my ideas.

And good ideas they are.

Thanks for sharing

We also never put anything with our home addy or telephone number... Usually just our cell number, and a hometown contact or relative (same person who is part of our Emergency Back Up Plan... Having an envelope with all our CRITICAL info in case anything gets lost or stolen... Photocopy of our Passport - Credit Cards - Drivers Licenses - and Numbers off any Travellers Cheques). They also have a copy of our Itinerary - Travel Ins - and Travel Medical Insurance. And a list of contact numbers.

Thankfully we have never had to use our Emergency Back Up Plan...

*knock on wood* :)

Cheers!

Has there ever been a single case of someone being burglarized because of info on a luggage tag?

Has there ever been a single case of someone being burglarized because of info on a luggage tag?

yes, but I'm just working from memory. There were some thefts where airport workers would identify people who were flying out of town with expensive luggage, take the information off the luggage tags, and alerting others who would then break in to their homes while they were travelling.

What better way to know who's not home....

Some suggest putting your office address on luggage or just the zip code with no city/state.

Edited by ghstudio

We put them on before we leave home. The bar codes are unique and can't confuse the airline. If they go astray, at least some indication top hat we are on the ship, might be helpful getting the cases there. Address is a PO box so no chance someone will break in there, LOL

so we are gearing up to get on the Reflection on Monday...we have out Celebrity luggage tags and the clever little holders from Amazon.

Do you put these on your bags before you fly to be done with it or do you put them on when you reach the dock?

Just trying to see what things I may need to keep accessible when packing.

If you've got the plastic luggage tag holders, go ahead and put them on. It won't hurt a thing. It just has your name, stateroom number, and deck on them.

We put them on before we leave home. The bar codes are unique and can't confuse the airline. If they go astray, at least some indication top hat we are on the ship, might be helpful getting the cases there. Address is a PO box so no chance someone will break in there, LOL

While it's likely that extra tags on your bags won't matter, why give them a chance to foul up or lose your cruise luggage tag? There are apparently many ways for airlines to "lose" bags..why help them.

How difficult is it to put on a luggage tag at the airport when you pick up your luggage to go to the ship?

Just based on the KISS philosophy, I would make sure any tags of any sort from previous trips are removed before you leave home....and put the cruise luggage tags on when the bags and you arrive at the cruise embarkation airport...

Edited by ghstudio

We alway put one lag on each piece of checked luggage when leaving home and take the extras in case they are damaged during the flight. If a bag goes missing I want it to go to the ship and not be sent home:) I have confirmed with all the airlines we have flown with that the barcodes on the tags do not "confuse" their equipment. Our TA and Celebrity both recommend putting them on before leaving home and also the luggage tags have contact numbers for the airline to call in case the luggage is misplaced.

ImageUploadedByForums1412434037.461104.jpg.9b89a3ac0916bcb98b973b02edbbf931.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We alway put one lag on each piece of checked luggage when leaving home and take the extras in case they are damaged during the flight. If a bag goes missing I want it to go to the ship and not be sent home:) I have confirmed with all the airlines we have flown with that the barcodes on the tags do not "confuse" their equipment. Our TA and Celebrity both recommend putting them on before leaving home and also the luggage tags have contact numbers for the airline to call in case the luggage is misplaced.

[ATTACH]326847[/ATTACH]

I wouldn't put them on without the luggage tag plastic holders. They are very fragile and tear off easily -- not like the sturdy airline luggage tags. The ones they give you on the pier are even worse. :eek:

[ATTACH]326847[/ATTACH]

Do you really think those lost bags would catch up with the ship? Do you believe that if they called the celebrity number on the tags, they would reach someone who knew how to get the bags to you, or even knew who you were?

Some things just sound good...others sound too good to be true. You pick on this one.

Do you really think those lost bags would catch up with the ship? Do you believe that if they called the celebrity number on the tags, they would reach someone who knew how to get the bags to you, or even knew who you were?

Some things just sound good...others sound too good to be true. You pick on this one.

I actually just called the number to check. It connects to "pre cruise support" and option 2 is lost, misplaced luggage support. I spoke to a very nice lady (Kelly) who picked up on the first ring. She reiterated to put the tags on before the flight and if they are lost the airline can call. She will then work with the airline to get the bag to the ship, and if the ship has departed she arranges to get the bag to the next port.

So I think it is good and also true:D And I will keep putting the tags on before we fly!

I read on this site that someone mentioned a "game" airline luggage handlers play in which they see who can gather the most cruise (and cruise line) luggage tags on each flight.

When I cruised last year, I printed out my (HAL) luggage tags, had them laminated at a UPS store, then folded the over and stapled them to my luggage handles. None went missing. My suggestion----- put them on before you get to the port, but after your flight. I use the Cruise Critic luggage tag holders now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk