Children in Shows

TeresaN

What do you think about entertainment with children? We have a then 2,5 year old daughter who will be with us on the cruise beginning on Feb 2nd. We have booked dining with her and would like to make reservations for the shows too. She is a "late sleeper", so the time will not be a problem. As far as I know, most of the shows are not so long (1 hour?).

We will not take her to Mamma Mia, this is too long for her. But I thought about taking her with us to the Comedy show or Sonic Odyssey.

What do experienced cruisers think about that?

What do you think about entertainment with children? We have a then 2,5 year old daughter who will be with us on the cruise beginning on Feb 2nd. We have booked dining with her and would like to make reservations for the shows too. She is a "late sleeper", so the time will not be a problem. As far as I know, most of the shows are not so long (1 hour?).

We will not take her to Mamma Mia, this is too long for her. But I thought about taking her with us to the Comedy show or Sonic Odyssey.

At that age probably a bad idea.

We've brought our kids to the nightly shows since they were very young. They were never bored. In fact, it became something they looked forward to each night (just as they looked forward to dinner in the MDR. Although my kids are young ladies now, we cruised in August with my sister and her young kids. Again, they attended and enjoyed every show.

I say to bring them. It could be a wonderful experience for them.

I don't think you will get a straight answer on this, I think it depends entirely on the child. Some will sit through and enjoy others won't.

Our little girl is 3.5 now, at that age it really was dependent on her mood and the show, you couldn't predict it and still can't.

The only advice I can offer is sit somewhere where you can make a swift exit if it doesn't go to plan without disturbing people too much,

We found that the shows we thought she would love and those we thought she wouldn't just went out the window, recently we thought she would love the ice show, she fell asleep! LOL which was great for us!

The fairy tale show she really enjoyed and watched attentively all the way through, there was another where she was in a bad mood and wouldn't sit still after 2 warnings we left after about 10 minutes quietly, at least as quietly as possible with a toddler in full tantrum anyway.

Our holidays are about family time now, and our little ones enjoyment is important to us, however we still remember when we had no children and how sometimes other peoples children could irritate us, so we keep that in mind and do our best not to ruin anyone else's enjoyment of a show or holiday as a whole

We've brought our kids to the nightly shows since they were very young. They were never bored. In fact, it became something they looked forward to each night (just as they looked forward to dinner in the MDR. Although my kids are young ladies now, we cruised in August with my sister and her young kids. Again, they attended and enjoyed every show.

I say to bring them. It could be a wonderful experience for them.

I highly doubt it would be any kind of an experience for a two year old, JMHO...

I'm not sure the comedy show would be a good one. When done as the main show they are usually family friendly (we still don't even know this for sure as Oasis was adult only) but it would still probably be over their heads. The shows are usually 45 minutes with the exception of Mamma Mia which is something like 2.5 hours. At that age I think they may not appreciate the art, but would likely be amazed and really sucked into both Sonic Odyssey and Starwater. As others said though, nothing is for sure so just make sure you keep an exit strategy in case needed. With all the sounds and lights in those two though I doubt they could get bored. I think we'll even see all the adults sitting through both of those with there mouths hanging open in amazement, lol.

I highly doubt it would be any kind of an experience for a two year old, JMHO...

Well, the experience is a learning experience. They become familiar with sitting quietly in a seat and being entertained with whatever is happening on stage. When you introduce this to very young kids, they learn acceptable behavior in theater settings, and they grow up with a stronger appreciation for live shows.

Edited by DonnaK

Well, the experience is a learning experience. They become familiar with sitting quietly in a seat and being entertained with whatever is happening on stage. When you introduce this to very young kids, they learn acceptable behavior in theater settings, and they grow up with a stronger appreciation for live shows.

Teach them at home, not on a cruise ship.

I don't think you'd be able to bring them to the comedy shows as there is an age minimum of 18 and up? On our Allure cruise, they did schedule a 'family night' comedy show (once we were onboard) that didn't have that minimum age (that was over a year ago though).

For the other shows, just book them a reservation, and decide if it will work that night. No big deal if you don't show up or leave early.

Thank you very much for your answers! Mamma Mia and Comedy are not a good idea. But we will try Starwater and Sonic Odyssey. Maybe she likes it. Otherwise we will leave, so no other guest will be disturbed, don't worry :-)

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Forums

I agree it depends on the child. One of my girls was completely enthralled by a revue show when she was less than a year old, greatly surprising her mom and me. That love for theater continued as she grew older. By the age of 5, she'd much rather go to a show than to kids' club or to any other "kid-friendly" activity. (As a 12 year-old her favorite cruise activity was the art auctions). My other girl loved the formal dinners, but never cared for any of the shows.

So, I'd suggest trying a show or two with your children, but be prepared to change plans if it's not working out.

And, don't get riled up if some people around you give you evil looks when your child is just asking some questions about the show. Children may need to be reminded to keep their voices down. But, the same is true for many of the more mature members of the audience!

Not home home silly.

Oh sorry, with you saying Home I thought you meant well... Home

So i take it you mean a theatre or live show at home i.e where they live.

Just wondering why its acceptable to take them to a theatre at home but not on a cruise ship that takes bookings for family holidays and allows children into most of the shows

can't see what the difference is really? or am I being silly?

As many have said it depends on the child, the show and the mood at the time of the show. Some shows are obvious no-no's like the comedy show. Even if it is a family comedy show there is very little a 2.5 year old will understand.

The only real advice I have is to NOT let them play with your phone or iPad to keep them entertained if they get bored. You might as well give them a flashlight, the light is more distracting than their fidgeting.

My son is now 9 years old and has been cruising and going to shows since he was 14 months old. Even though at home he is able to stay up late (until midnight if I would let him) I have found that usually by the time we eat dinner and go to the show he only makes it about half way through and falls asleep. With all the activities and things going on aboard the ship, children tend to get much more exhausted than they do in a regular day at home.

I usually give him a choice now on whether he wants to watch the show or go to Adventure Ocean. Depending on the show and the agenda for Adventure Ocean he will make the choice. He knows he is expected to sit still and behave and because the shows go past his normal bed time I do not scold him for falling asleep during the show. In fact when he was smaller after dinner I would put him in his feety pajamas and take him to the show like that so I could put him straight into bed afterwards.

Even though your child may be young, they still enjoy the music, colorful costumes and the experience overall. If they appear thoroughly bored, Adventure Ocean is always an option for follow on shows.

~Julie

We will be on the same cruise as you. My daughter will be almost 2yrs old at the time of the cruise. We will try and get her out with us to some shows. Mamma Mia will be off the list though and anything very late at night. Most 270 shows she'll see and sonic odyssey and anything else that isn't too long. We intend on making a quick exit if necessary if it's troublesome. We want to expose her as much as possible to everything the ship has to offer. :)

You keep telling yourself that....:)

Do you have kids? If yes, did you get them out experiencing dif shows and public activities?

My 1.5 yr old now goes places with us and does enjoy shows. Yes, she doesn't sit perfectly still and enjoys people watching. She claps when others do and jumps up and down at soccer matches with the chanting and drumming.

She learns patience to sit and how to behave for longer periods of time.. Is it perfect? No, not always but she is getting better as she grows and learns.

As long as parents are respectful of others in big public settings and know when to fold em, know when to run, then it's all good :)

We will be on the same cruise as you. My daughter will be almost 2yrs old at the time of the cruise. We will try and get her out with us to some shows. Mamma Mia will be off the list though and anything very late at night. Most 270 shows she'll see and sonic odyssey and anything else that isn't too long. We intend on making a quick exit if necessary if it's troublesome. We want to expose her as much as possible to everything the ship has to offer. :)

oh, another girl at her age :-)

we will not do mamma mia and the comedy show with her. but we will try sonic odyssey. there should be a day with a show at 5:30 pm. we will have dinner after the show then and try to enjoy the show with her. if she doesn't want to sit in there or disturbs others, I will leave the show with her. but maybe it is fascinating for her! i am sure, it depends not only on the show but also on her mood, ... but we'll try!

You can laugh at me all you want.

This is the way we raised our own children. We took them everywhere with us, and expected them to behave appropriately. They are now very well-rounded, social, cultured and learned young adults with an appreciation for the arts, and for church, and for fine dining, and for other things that most people their age have had little or no exposure to.

Even very young kids generally enjoy the music, dancing, and colorful costumes and sets even if they can't follow the plot of the show. They are fascinated by the stage acts - jugglers, aerialists, funny antics, etc. My daughter learned to juggle when she was preschool aged, because she saw it on a cruise.

Edited by DonnaK

You can laugh at me all you want.

This is the way we raised our own children. We took them everywhere with us, and expected them to behave appropriately. They are now very well-rounded, social, cultured and learned young adults with an appreciation for the arts, and for church, and for fine dining, and for other things that most people their age have had little or no exposure to.

Even very young kids generally enjoy the music, dancing, and colorful costumes and sets even if they can't follow the plot of the show. They are fascinated by the stage acts - jugglers, aerialists, funny antics, etc. My daughter learned to juggle when she was preschool aged, because she saw it on a cruise.

The guy is a troll and provides no value to this thread. Never mind him.

Good for you. We are raising our daughter the same way. I don't want her to end up only having the keyboard warrior basement dweller skills like thetrail. :)

Good for you. We are raising our daughter the same way. I don't want her to end up only having the keyboard warrior basement dweller skills like thetrail. :)

same here :-)

10 posts???? :rolleyes::eek: