Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

Thank you SO much for your very entertaining reviews, and wonderful photos and videos.

I just watched the Day at Sea video, and now I'm even more excited about our upcoming cruise on the Ocean Princess, in November. It will be our first small ship, and I was a bit hesitant to book a smaller and much older vessel, but your photos and videos have really helped to diminish my concerns!

And, my husband and I are flying to Monterey next Saturday for a week there (for a conference) and a couple of days in San Francisco, so I also really enjoyed your Big Sur road trip video.

Thanks again! :)

Ah- I see from this post you have been on my blog looking at my California shots.

I love CA and enjoy some good driving there and those kind of land holidays will keep us off the Most Traveled Passenger list on Cruise Ships. Driving is a passion of mine, hence the screen name.

The beauty of the Ocean P will be driven home with each photo I put up. I am sitting on a literal boat-load. She is a little gem.

I guarantee you will fall in love with her!

Norris

Who doesn't look forward to Pub Lunch??

14944738224_7fd1ef23ea_b.jpg[/url]

As there was only one such lunch on this trip I had to have the steak and kidney pie which is just as I remember from back home in the UK. It was also something my mom used to make.

This will be piping hot when you break open this marvelous crust-let some of the steam escape. The Sterling Steakhouse fries were thick-cut crispy perfection and British Law dictates that it must " Upon penalty of death be served within a vessel fashioned of glass, filled unto the brim with the elixir Guinness as Ordained by Her Majesty".

I'm not making this stuff up...

15379352138_df15cd153e_b.jpg

There was Beatles music playing during our lunch..."If I fell in love with you, would you promise to be true and help me -understand?"

I have been a Beatles fan since 1962.

• Like 1

After lunch as I was sitting by the pool this young lady stopped by with another Princess tradition.....

I didn't partake as I was stuffed.

Lazy days at sea. Your cabin is being cleaned while you are out eating and drinking and relaxing in the sun. Your phone is in airplane mode. Your computer is powered off. Someone is taking good care of your cats at home. You look around and there are smiling people. They're talking and laughing. Some are reading books, IPads and Kindles. Some are snoozing or talking to new friends in the hot tubs or cooling off in the pool. Bar waiters are nearby if you want a drink.

There's pizza available in the buffet if you don't want to load up a tray of delicious hot food.

There's also this tasty alternative...

15568151712_6624caea81_b.jpg

15564638731_c920099efb_b.jpg

Plenty of nearby seating!

14947140143_1f927ec194_b.jpg

You had a hearty breakfast that you didn't have to cook. The lunch was ditto.

The ship is swaying and even though you had 8 hours of cradle-like sleep, lulled there by the sound of the waves, another little snooze wouldn't hurt, would it.

Voices drift in and out of your consciousness as you feel yourself nodding off...

You wake later and are suddenly confronted by the realities of life-the decisions that have to be made....do I dress for dinner or hit the Buffet? Do I go to the Captain's Cocktail Party or play a few extra games of table tennis or some Blackjack? A game of cards and a few drinks with my new buddies would be fun before dinner. Maybe I should go down to the Photo Gallery and see about getting a new camera? Those Nikons look pretty tempting! Should we go to the Club Bar for drinks before dinner? Do you want to get the Formal Portrait tonight?

We had brought along our Formal duds and the ship delivered corsages to our room. We had time for the Cocktail Party, which we usually pass on when sailing the bigger ships. We'd have dinner and maybe a show afterwards.

All the decisions you have to make on a ship-yet none of them odious!

We don't normally attend these but we did.

At the entrance we were greeted by the Captain and one of the advantages of the small ship is that you can see the same people more than once-like the Captain and his greeting to me was- "See I told you we would have the wind on our stern"

referring back to our conversation by the Trident Grill the day before in Dubrovnik. Good memory.

It's not riveting video but as I recorded it anyway I thought some of you might be interested.

Meantime some corrections/updates

At Trsteno the press was an olive press, not wine (Carol's notes) and the solo saxophone player was Oli Nez, from Wales.

No piano player for me on this trip-just another thing I manage to miss by not reading the patters. I did hear the girl singer/keyboardist duo as I was in the Photo Gallery one evening- they will appear in the sea day video coming up soon.

Norris

Same venue. You didn't miss anything. We didn't think the keyboardist and girl singer, on our second cruise, were as good as the sole piano player on our first cruise.

In my cabin mail I found an invitation to a free dinner in Sabatini's for Wednesday night as part of a 3 for Free promotion I was unaware of.

Wednesday? Was there some mistake? The restaurants open on alternate nights-Sterling Saturday, Sab Sunday etc so Weds would be Sterling surely?

I went up to Sab on my way to the pool deck. The door was closed but I went in anyway. No-one was around.

At the aft end beyond where we eat breakfast I found a surprising scene...

15379484337_9713e61e6b_b.jpg[/url]

A bit of a mess and not "ship-shape"

No matter as I didn't have to clear it up but I expected everything to have a place. Maybe this was it! LOL

Back in the room getting dressed for the cocktail party I turned the TV on

15379860370_f3c87022b6_b.jpg

Just wanted to be sure we were still heading for Malta

15541789886_8843bd0afe_b.jpg

Thence to the Cocktail Party where the drinks were on the House

15379358888_385ca6e8dc_b.jpg

Here is a video with the appetizer portions shown. Photos to follow.

This was Tuesday night's Formal Dinner.

The Malta" get a tree" mantra comes from a Mystery Science Theater 3000 screening of a Joe Don Baker crime drama set in Valetta and few trees were shown. It was a bad B movie and funny to watch.

You can count the trees in Malta when I put the video up tomorrow.

Norris

Did you enjoy afternoon tea of fresh baked jam and scones (biscuits ?) on deck? A wonderful man used to come around with a trolley each afternoon.

I didn't see a cookies and milk girl though. I wonder if this is a substitute?

I've had the Afternoon Tea Spread in an MDR, the Sanctuary and our balcony -haven't see it served on deck as yet.

Norris

Spring rolls-veggies only

14945329343_6e9fb325b1_b.jpg[/url]

Tian of lobster crab and shrimp I believe (for Carol)

15562831271_836a5ffd63_b.jpg

Oh-oh the ship's photographer was getting closer...

15379490537_d6d6eee234_b.jpg

Belgian Endive and bib lettuce salad for Carol

15565501825_3a91960aca_b.jpg

I've had the Afternoon Tea Spread in an MDR, the Sanctuary and our balcony -haven't see it served on deck as yet.

Norris

It was on the sheltered side of deck 5. It was a daily highlight, on sea days, to have personal service, from a formally dressed man with a trolley, of fresh scones with jam and cream (what we call a Devonshire Tea). We used to sit out there on the teak deck chairs, with and without a blanket, waiting for our daily treat. MDR had more variety in afternoon tea, but less atmosphere. Your balcony would have had similiar atmosphere to the deck.

It was on the sheltered side of deck 5. It was a daily highlight, on sea days, to have personal service, from a formally dressed man with a trolley, of fresh scones with jam and cream (what we call a Devonshire Tea). We used to sit out there on the teak deck chairs, with and without a blanket, waiting for our daily treat. MDR had more variety in afternoon tea, but less atmosphere. Your balcony would have had similiar atmosphere to the deck.

Marion - I see in your signature that you have sailed on MSC Lirica....you will be seeing her again soon!

The Devonshire tea sounds elegant and sophisticated. Very stylish.

Norris

Another excellent meal was underway and I found myself having a veal dish again-veal ravioli

14944747154_5ec163542d_b.jpg[/url]

A favorite of mine which I only seem to come across on cruise ships-Beef Wellington

15565504075_4f6cc8e196_b.jpg

Carol had lobster and shrimp but the waiter, Oleg, whipped him out of the shell before I had a chance to take his photo.

15379868480_c42a86b843_b.jpg

We both had Cherries Jubilee (no flambé at the table of course) for dessert

15565505545_29223f988d_b.jpg

Carol was happy with her meal.

14945334293_f47bb4b16e_b.jpg

The show tonight was an English singer who had just joined us in Dubrovnik- Michelle Montain who had a big belting voice and did comedy patter between songs. She was backed by the ship's stellar quartet but I wasn't in the mood to stay and listen to the whole show. Carol stayed and I went up on deck to enjoy the quiet. It had been raining softly.

15566344612_37841ecde0_b.jpg[/url]

14944752864_c7522d11ca_b.jpg

15379497907_0ec54f0dd8_b.jpg

We had hung a Room Service breakfast card out as we had an excursion around the time Sabatini's opened- a 7.45 be on pier to join the Rabat and Medina excursion. We booked the breakfast for 6.30 am

The Captain had said we'd pick up the Pilot at 6 a.m and so I planned to be up before that. I had looked at some Google Images of Malta harbor and was full of anticipation. We set Carol's travel alarm for an early wake-up.

So next-up is Malta.

There's a video of our approach to our berth in Malta that I will upload later to youtube.

Even though it was dark I had to take photos. As it meant holding the shutter open longer some of the very early shots you'll see have a bit of camera shake or less than perfect focus. The light was getting better moment by moment though so most shots won't suffer.

I could tell that this would be a stunning harbor as the minutes ticked by and more of it was revealed.

We begin out at sea....

15396870579_42240a5519_b.jpg[/url]

The darkest hour is just before dawn as it says in the song....

Now I could see shapes in the gloom

15583487735_eed573af27_b.jpg

15397375878_3d3f39a881_b.jpg

15397484647_a9465a0c04_b.jpg

14963339403_de1fb7c8dc_b.jpg

15396875869_20590b2541_b.jpg

Hi Norris

Please let me add my thanks to everyone else's for another of your thoughtful, humorous and captivating reviews. We do appreciate the hard work you put in!

I'm finding it very interesting to see your photos of the Ocean - I don't recall ever seeing either of the 'small ships' reviewed in such detail here on CC so it's incredibly useful for those of us who have never sailed on them to see how different they are from the bigger boats.

We came back from a med cruise on the Regal at the end of August and Venice is fresh in my mind, so it was lovely to share your experiences as well.

I see what looks like a fabulous private yacht in your pictures of Valetta harbour - did you happen to find out anything about it? I can only dream of owning such a beauty!

Julie

Hi Norris

Please let me add my thanks to everyone else's for another of your thoughtful, humorous and captivating reviews. We do appreciate the hard work you put in!

I'm finding it very interesting to see your photos of the Ocean - I don't recall ever seeing either of the 'small ships' reviewed in such detail here on CC so it's incredibly useful for those of us who have never sailed on them to see how different they are from the bigger boats.

We came back from a med cruise on the Regal at the end of August and Venice is fresh in my mind, so it was lovely to share your experiences as well.

I see what looks like a fabulous private yacht in your pictures of Valetta harbour - did you happen to find out anything about it? I can only dream of owning such a beauty!

Julie

Julie thanks for joining us and yes, the Ocean/Pacific don't figure often in extensive reviews nor youtube videos but I am hoping to correct that. Ship photos will appear as we go along. The excursions I have to put up all at once as next day there would be another but we were on the ship for the better part of a week and didn't visit everywhere on the first day so the ship doesn't really get it's own place in the sun but will be revealed day by day. I think she is classy in her decor, so rich and cosy. We are both up for small ship cruising in the future.

As for the stunning yacht-well these are familiar sights in the Med ports and also in Ft Lauderdale (thinking of Mr Spielberg's boat in particular). I didn't note the name of it as I was trying to take everything in around me. Once you have a name and a flag you can probably find the owner via Google.

The is a TV reality show called Below Deck (on Bravo) which features a boat like this doing charters in the Caribbean. You see it from the crew's perspective.

Norris

15583501265_1b83eb3b53_b.jpg[/url]

The structure center-right I believe is a desalination plant as Malta doesn't get much rain to quench the population's thirst. It hadn't rained since April....

15397497737_84d3973494_b.jpg

Room Service delivered our breakfast and we took it at the dining table indoors.

Bacon scrambled eggs toast etc and a pot of coffee. We had to call them back once we discovered there was no salt and pepper so it cooled even further.

Then once seasoned and the coffee poured we found there was no sugar-only those chemical Splenda packs so another call was made. Disappointing. How about a checklist? Anyway cold eggs and bacon is still food as is cold toast although I like it when the butter melts on contact.

Once eaten I went back onto the balcony and found that daylight was upon us.

Crews were taking down 6 tall towers from a weekend Civic celebration on the harbor. We missed the party.

15559826756_9c1e2c5743_b.jpg

We applied sunscreen, wore sensible shoes, no shorts as they are not welcome in Cathedrals (Medina), took sunglasses as it looked like it would be a hot blue-sky day, left another bag of laundry out for Luis and went down to deck 3 to join our bus for the tour to Rabat and Medina. Medina was the old capital and had a wall around it dating from the Norman Conquest of 1091 A.D

Our guide on this trip was a local (that helps) called Anthony and he was wonderful:enthusiastic and articulate and he began many of his sentences with "Dear guests..." A professional. He and Carol got on very well as she researches up on our excursions and always has good questions.

Anthony

15559828326_4f27c2acc9_b.jpg

Surprisingly Rick Steve's has never covered Malta but if he does we need to let him know about Anthony as he is just the sort of man you need on the ground to lead your tours and keep people coming back for more.

So we began with a bus ride up hill and over dale in Valetta's morning rush-hour.

At the top of some hills we could see Medina up on it's hill and anticipation was building.

Upon arrival we were the first tour group of the day-and this was a VERY GOOD THING as later it would get mobbed.

So we pretty much had the streets of the old city to ourselves, although delivery vans would come through and force us to the sidewalks.

Once the vans passed and turned down really narrow alleys to make their deliveries all was quiet again. We walked at a relaxed pace in perfect weather and would stop to listen to Anthony at a point of interest.

Nearby, carriage drivers waited for customers

15559829346_b5632c9794_b.jpg

The gateway to Medina (added in 1724)

15584349672_cf25c17b0a_b.jpg

Anthony had timed our leisurely walk to arrive at the Cathedral at opening time-9 a.m but upon arrival there found the doors locked so we had to sit on the steps and wait. I spent my time away from the group taking photos.

15559840516_90f7ae4510_b.jpg

Thank you for your photos of Malta. Love the photo looking into the courtyard.

Malta is one (of many) places I've wanted to visit. It always intrigued me, from a young age, as there were many Maltese immigrants in Mackay, North Queensland. i wondered what made all these families leave such a small place for such a large faraway land, as Australia.

• Like 1