Ocean princess venice to rome

Bimmer09

Here's a video of our leaving Palermo. It is shot without edits: I let the camcorder run for the 15 minutes that it took to reach the end of the breakwater, while I took the stills that you have just seen.

For Ship Nerds Only. Harbor Geeks welcome of course.

Next up dinner in Sabatini's

Norris

The meal in Sabs was comped as part of a three-for-free promotion I had no idea of and still don't but when the words Free and Sabatini's are put together in the same sentence I go along with it, although I wish now that I had gone to the Club Restaurant and told my servers they could have the night off as far as we were concerned.

To Sabatini's we went gladly having always enjoyed our meals there. Our particular favorite (judging from my videos) is the salt-baked Branzino which is what Sea Bass call themselves in Italy.

The menu did not list that dish! After turning a table on it's side and ripping some of the nice curtains from the windows I calmed down a bit. I was assured that the chef would soon "sleep with the fishes" and that seemed acceptable and I ordered a steak instead. Off the menu apparently and "what were they thinking?"

No matter. Italian music played. The room was abuzz as it was as busy as I had ever seen a Sabs and the waiters, a great bunch you'll see later were fussing over us-not just the ceremonial placement of the napkin on the lap, but one of them straightened my tie while another combed my hair. Now THAT is service!!

I like the charger plates they use in S to dress the table and remind you that you are not in the MDR....

15588871242_dc0dd1cb55_b.jpg[/url]

This is the waitstaff that unfortunately didn't make it into the video for one good reason- I am an idiot who somehow forgot that this was the last time perhaps that I would see any of them. When I say that I need to write things down and make a list of to-dos on the ship I am not kidding and I keep promising to get it right the next time (Ruby P. Jan 24 th Eastern Caribbean). We'll see if I can improve.

Left to right...Roberto, newly promoted Asst. Maitre d' (Hotel) on his first week on the Ocean after a stint on the Royal P. Then Philippino waiter who's name I have forgotten but who served us breakfast each day. Hopefully Carol will remember.

Then Ukrainian (?) waiter who did the breakfast shift. The new guy from Serbia on his first Princess contract-very nervous but he need not have been as he was on his game and lastly another head waiter that we hadn't met before. Italian I think. A fun and efficient group.

15585373881_439b88b16b_b.jpg

Note to self: take more photos of crew because, although they are not going to become your best friends, and you may never see them again, when you do see them they give you a lift with their attentiveness and professionalism and often with their wit and charm. Even if you just got back from a rain soaked excursion or were pestered by beggars and salesmen on shore, even if your toilet backed-up these crew members will pamper and take care of you just as they did for the people on the cruise before and after. Each of them can brighten your day even if it already beyond your expectations. You owe it to them to smile back, banter a little (or a lot in my case) ask about their home country, be interested in them for you are sharing a happy moment with someone you may never see again. Make them remember you as much as you remember them.

On to the food portion of our show....

As anyone who knows me knows- I like shrimp. Peel 'n eat-oh yea! Coconut breaded shrimp? You betcha! Stir fry-yum, yum. These shrimps (as the great Emeril Lagasse would call them) were on a bed of white beans- but not for long as I ate them much as a big dog would scoff down a bowl of Alpo.

14967877733_3e6d1222f3_b.jpg

This is penne pasta with short ribs and ate as good as it looked. Slow-cooked meat is my favorite. So much flavor. A sip of red wine...comfort food. Nothing fancy.

14967286524_c1620b7ba2_b.jpg

On Carol's plate were two pasta dishes-the short ribs and a Manicotti of the gods.

15402424400_0202a57c2c_b.jpg

Is anyone's mouth watering yet? Annie-are you there?

New York Strip with too many white beans...the steaks in Sabatini's are not on a par with those in the Sterling Grill/Crown Grill. Not so tender and require a sawing technique. Flavorful though but not such a prime cut. Too many beans (which don't pack a lot of flavor) meant I did not lick my plate. One of the waiters offered to lick it for me-again that is great service!!

15585370741_56f05f9aa4_b.jpg[/url]

Carol's shrimp dish on a bed of tomatoes with a little vegetable cylinder.

15588874292_864c6878ee_b.jpg

Lastly my dessert of choice-a Sambuca and espresso. Sambucas are $7 onboard and the espresso comes via my coffee card.

15588030305_a61c237d14_b.jpg

A fine meal. Video to follow. We tipped the waiter $10 or 20% of the cost if we had been charged for it.

Norris

Here is the dinner video followed by a short clip which has no cuts and gives an idea of how little time it takes to get anywhere on the Ocean P. Note the digital display in the elevator which tells you what attractions are on the floor you have chosen. Nice touch. As it was early in the morning there were no Aussies in the elevator with cocktails (it was very early). The trip from aft cabin to the outdoor deck of the Panorama Buffet was 2min 15 seconds.

Norris

One night when we were in Sterling Steakhouse for dinner. Roberto saw my husband talking with his hands, so stopped to tease him a little and asked if he had any Italian in him. Roberto then told us a funny story about when he was visiting a friend in Texas. He had been driving and was pulled over for speeding. He immediately got out of the car, and was promptly advised to get back into his vehicle and put his hands on the steering wheel. He ended up being arrested because he didn't remember to put any of his licenses, or passport or ANYTHING that had his name on it in the car with him. He said it was very frustrating as an Italian who spoke with his hands to try to communicate to the police officer and plead his case. He said when the put handcuffs on him, it was like being gagged as well. He became mute. Although we aren't from Texas, we apologized on behalf of Texas, and the US and hoped that experience wouldn't keep him from returning for a visit.

One night when we were in Sterling Steakhouse for dinner. Roberto saw my husband talking with his hands, so stopped to tease him a little and asked if he had any Italian in him. Roberto then told us a funny story about when he was visiting a friend in Texas. He had been driving and was pulled over for speeding. He immediately got out of the car, and was promptly advised to get back into his vehicle and put his hands on the steering wheel. He ended up being arrested because he didn't remember to put any of his licenses, or passport or ANYTHING that had his name on it in the car with him. He said it was very frustrating as an Italian who spoke with his hands to try to communicate to the police officer and plead his case. He said when the put handcuffs on him, it was like being gagged as well. He became mute. Although we aren't from Texas, we apologized on behalf of Texas, and the US and hoped that experience wouldn't keep him from returning for a visit.

Thank you-great story. Roberto was a great character and was tireless in his job. Always on the move, overseeing the details.

I hope he is happy on the Ocean Princess.

Norris, moving on to Sorrento next. 140 photos lined up and lots of video.

We were very excited to sail this cruise as every port was new to us and first up was a gem of the Adriatic-Dubrovnik.

Here is a video I shot during the approach.

Enjoy!

Norris (photos will follow)

Norris, I just want to tell you that I am loving your photos, your commentary, and your videos. My DH and I were on the maiden Med cruise of the Royal last June and also on a fall foliage cruise on the Royal just a few weeks ago. . . but your postings are making me long for a small ship. I, too, hope that Princess won't sell the Ocean . . . at least until we have a chance to sail on her.

Thank you, thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us who are following you and Carol on your voyage! I'm sure you bring back many wonderful memories for many of us!

Norris, I just want to tell you that I am loving your photos, your commentary, and your videos. My DH and I were on the maiden Med cruise of the Royal last June and also on a fall foliage cruise on the Royal just a few weeks ago. . . but your postings are making me long for a small ship. I, too, hope that Princess won't sell the Ocean . . . at least until we have a chance to sail on her.

Thank you, thank you so much for taking the time to share with all of us who are following you and Carol on your voyage! I'm sure you bring back many wonderful memories for many of us!

Thanks indeed for following along and I am glad you are curious about the small ship experience. The Ocean is small but far from a bare-bones cruising experience which is what I started out with on the Song of Norway in 1985. She was maybe 5,000 gross tons less than the Ocean but with only a fraction of the amenities and comforts of the O. And decor-wise the interiors of the O are lavish and you feel like you are on a luxury ship.

More of her to come and some great excursions.

Thanks for posting!

Norris

Nancy have the time of your life on the CB and tell us about it when you return!

Bon voyage!

Norris

We have been back for almost a week now. I have been so busy catching up with the rest of my life that I'm just now getting around to catching up here.

We had a great time on our cruise on the CB. I enjoyed some of the best scuba dives I have ever done. I was a bit disappointed though that the Ultimate Ship Tour we signed up for did not go forward due to lack of enough people signed up. :confused: I was under the impression that usually there were more people signed up than spaces available on the tour. I guess we will have to try again on our next Princess cruise. Yes, we did buy ourselves some FCC's! :cool:

Now I'm off to catch up with your TR! :D

Nancy

We have been back for almost a week now. I have been so busy catching up with the rest of my life that I'm just now getting around to catching up here.

We had a great time on our cruise on the CB. I enjoyed some of the best scuba dives I have ever done. I was a bit disappointed though that the Ultimate Ship Tour we signed up for did not go forward due to lack of enough people signed up. :confused: I was under the impression that usually there were more people signed up than spaces available on the tour. I guess we will have to try again on our next Princess cruise. Yes, we did buy ourselves some FCC's! :cool:

Now I'm off to catch up with your TR! :D

Nancy

Nancy, welcome back to the real world! I signed up for the CB UST back in January this year. First on the list-but it never happened due to Noro on board.

I haven't been on one that didn't muster 12 volunteers from a crowd of 3,000.

My next cruise is the Ruby in January but having already done the UST there I will give it a miss.

Norris, onward to Sorrento today

When we woke on Friday morning September 26 th 2014 we saw this...

The island of Ischia which was anchored off the coast of Sorrento.

15662142762_ebb8e9fe24_b.jpg[/url]

As we got closer to land I noticed this....look familiar ? A black hull but I think that looks sharp. It's the Azamara Journey.

15637590356_8f32182464_b.jpg

It appears she had spent the night anchored here. In this shot you can see the water rushing out from the port anchor well, after hoisting. I would like to do a cruise that has some overnight stays so I can enjoy a port (or a Sambuca) in the evening.

She turned her sleek profile our way

15662149032_09380b5314_b.jpg

She was heading out to sea on her way to her next port

15661336555_154cd28e82_b.jpg

Edited by LauraS

Today was a tender day as our ship had to anchor in the bay and we had an excursion beginning at 8.15 a.m.

Sabatini's would not be a breakfast option and so it was a room service breakfast that would have to fuel us for our 8 hour trip to Pompeii and Positano where we would have lunch. Lunch was the clincher! There were trips to just Pompeii for a fraction of the price and time commitment but the promise of a "scenic lunch" was a lure.

There is a brilliant comedy film called Trip to Italy featuring two of our favorite impressionists-Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. They are touring Italy as food writers and eventually dine on the Amalfi coast. The settings and the food both look stunning and watching it a few months before our cruise whetted our appetite for Italy's rugged coastline and Italian food. So lunch in such settings made us consider this excursion a must-do, even though it was our biggest excursion spend to date. We had done a helicopter landing on a glacier in Juneau on our first cruise-$600 for two for 90 minutes or so and a never to be forgotten experience (see video on my Coral review). This trip was 8 hours and cost $720 for two. No helicopters, just small Mercedes buses holding maybe 14 people including the driver and a guide.

Looking out of our balcony I saw this and recognized it as Mt.Vesuvius. A volcano!

I immediately called the bridge to warn the Captain about this danger . He said he hadn't noticed it but would "look into it". He said he didn't think it was going to erupt today but if it did he would have the Room Steward sweep the molten lava off the balcony. That was my concern so I relaxed.

15041186763_7e9ec35d00_b.jpg[/url]

15474679569_c6b6674e00_b.jpg

Along came the sun

15475356367_e2400d601e_b.jpg

• Like 1

After breakfast in our room sunscreen was applied as we would be outdoors in Pompeii. Money belt was donned as I take no chances. We told our room steward we would be gone all day and headed up to the Cabaret Lounge where excursioneers were mustering. On the way into the room we had to show our tour tickets and were given a colored sticky (pink in our case) corresponding to the tour manifest. We would be called by color when our tender was ready. In the room a table was set up for the sale of water and handy holsters to carry it in.

While we were waiting the anchor was dropped from the mooring room which was on the other side of the back wall of the lounge. I called the bridge to complain about the noise but the Captain just made those static sounds with his mouth (I've done the same myself with unwanted callers) and said "you're breaking up".

On a movie screen were some Princess promo videos about Alaska, a land dear to our heart from our cruises. I hope that anyone on the ship who hadn't thought of Alaska for a cruise is now considering one. There's no volcanoes!

Colors, one by one, were called for tours leaving before ours. We were waiting for 25 minutes or so before Pink was called and we made our way down to the tender platform on deck 2 I imagine as it was lower than the deck we joined the ship on in Venice. I know we were just above the waterline and that's what counts. The bay was quite choppy as you will see in the video that follows once youtube has uploaded it.

The tender was totally enclosed, unlike the one we took on the Ruby over to Princess Cays which would mean I would be shooting through a window-not ideal but you'll get the gist. I had to pack away my cameras as we neared the dock.

Video soon...

We stepped ashore from the tender and this was the first "Italian" we met-trying to sell us some pizza. He's the goofy Serbian photographer from the ship and like most of the landing photos with pirates, saloon gals and such we bought the photo back on the ship ($19.99)

15481599138_6ce6e4aab0_b.jpg[/url]

Our tour guide, a striking Italian beauty called Maria (not Mariah-that's what the wind's called) was on the dock holding aloft our tour number and we gathered around her. A short walk led us to a nice new Mercedes minibus and as I was first on I took the back seat.

There is climb up from the beach to the cliff top

15661338115_f10575a494_b.jpg

The Excelsior Vittoria- anyone ever stay there? Stunning location!

15661422535_dbb39e5250_b.jpg

15475839350_a9ac9e0d55_b.jpg

Nice coastline, so dramatic.

15474773659_8fdac580f9_b.jpg

15041278003_62f82980ba_b.jpg

The Mercedes was navigated deftly on steep narrow hairpin streets up into Sorrento proper, high above the beach. As he drove Maria described our itinerary which was in reverse order to the Princess Personalizer : Pompeii first, then Positano and lunch. At the mention of Pompeii a lady spoke and said "Pompeii-I've been there before-I don't want to go back there". It turned out the lady had been given the wrong colored sticker by the Princess shipboard staff and just followed the Pinks. Maria got on her cell phone and called the driver of the ladies' tour and agreed to meet him further up the road for the exchange. It turned out he had two passengers who were also color-coded wrong and on the wrong bus. They were Pinks so belonged with us. We stopped for the exchange.

One of the new passengers on the bus was Cliff, an Aussie whom I would speak to by the Ocean pool and his wife. Cliff is the one on the left in this photo. The other is a man from Perth and I don't mean Scotland.

15662244362_1f87967455_b.jpg[/url]

Now we could proceed to Pompeii and once out of the busy Sorrento streets we climbed higher still and caught sight of the Ocean P in the bay

15474687629_1b6af81e82_b.jpg

15041192313_b1e675595c_b.jpg

Carol consults Rick Steves on her Kindle

15474688959_dea8988e68_b.jpg

Vesuvius as we near an exit on the highway for Pompeii

15474689649_887e9ab54d_b.jpg

I guess I was expecting the Pompeii site to be set apart up a long mountain driveway and not just something that suddenly appears next to a highway exit after passing by hundreds of apartment buildings with washing hanging on the balconies, used car lots and the like.

We were here though and parked the bus near the entrance which emerges from a cluster of restaurants and bars, souvenir shops and even a cameo factory which apparently we had "20 minutes to shop in".

The cameo factory is a must-visit as they have very good bathrooms downstairs. The cameos are beautiful of course but we are not collectors. They look so classy on a little black band around a lady's neck.

While Carol used the restrooms I sat down at a cafe and ordered an espresso under the shade of an umbrella. I lit a cigarette and then the waiter brought me what was the best tasting coffee I have ever had in my life. Caffe e la vita!! It cost about $2. I would live in Italy just for the coffee and the food.

Maria spoke to the ladies at the entrance to the historic site and we were waved through as priority guests. We were now in Pompeii.

Next-up video of the drive to Pompeii from Sorrento

Yum; Sabatini's . . .

Eagerly awaiting seeing your take on Pompeii. Sorrento looks gorgeous, as I'm sure was Positano. I opted, as you may recall from my Live/Review, for Herculaneum, so I have to go back to do the Amalfi thing.

I'm sorry Palermo was a disappointment. What I saw of Trapani was lovely and Marsala even more so. Nothing like your photos. I guess Palermo is the Hoboken to Trapani's San Diego?

Here is the video I shot from the tour bus

I hate having to clip the tour guide's spiel but as it's unscripted I have no idea when it will (a) start or (b) end.

Norris

Yum; Sabatini's . . .

Eagerly awaiting seeing your take on Pompeii. Sorrento looks gorgeous, as I'm sure was Positano. I opted, as you may recall from my Live/Review, for Herculaneum, so I have to go back to do the Amalfi thing.

I'm sorry Palermo was a disappointment. What I saw of Trapani was lovely and Marsala even more so. Nothing like your photos. I guess Palermo is the Hoboken to Trapani's San Diego?

Annie I already have a video of Pompeii resting on a youtube rack but Pompeii was such a photo opportunity it is mainly stills that will follow. The best thing about Pompeii is that we got there EARLY before the swarms came so I thank our guide Maria for that. She goes there almost daily so is aware of the hordes that accrue as the morning wears on.

There's very good reason why it attracts hordes (of which I make up one horde -unit) as it is uniquely preserved and fires the imagination.

I am a huge "Roman" fan from reading Julius Caesar books and also in the great comedy" Life of Brian" there is a catalogue of all the things the "Romans have done for us" by being bright and industrious (and brutal). Of course there were tv shows like "I Claudius " (BBC) and "Rome" (HBO) that offered imagined glimpses into Roman times.

Yes Pompeii made me think about life back then in 79 A.D which is way before I came on the scene. More about the Romans as I show the stills.

You will actually DIE when you see the lunch photos-the best food I ate in Italy and I did not have one bad meal. You'll have to wait- but have something ready (I use Bounty towels-the quick picker-upper) to mop up the drool.

Palermo- I have said my piece based on the little bit that I (and every wandering tourist) have seen.

Stay tuned and thanks for popping in-always welcome and the key's under the mat if I am out.

Norris

The Pompeii site is a walking tour and much of it on uneven stone streets. Wear sensible shoes, sunscreen and carry an umbrella just in case as there are not many places for large numbers of people to take shelter.

Our first glimpse after walking through the turnstiles and onto a tree-shaded path

was of an ancient wall

15637602716_6862891456_b.jpg[/url]

15475759100_92a05188b1_b.jpg

Tiered seating in a theater

15475183168_cdf9a0ee04_b.jpg

A second, smaller theater

15041197043_db66e9f0ed_b.jpg

15661344805_feaa18e8a6_b.jpg

As you can see from the last photo above, bricks were used in small buildings such as houses and shops. 79 A.D....think about that.

Below is a groove or channel at the entrance to a small shop. The channel held a sliding door to save space.

15662159992_25949cd930_b.jpg[/url]

Raised stones in the street allowing people to cross when the street was wet with rain. Stones are spaced so that wagon wheels could still pass through, as seen by the grooves they left in the worn street stones.

15041199213_e597eb5d81_b.jpg

Close-up

15662161642_ca1798c8fb_b.jpg

Stove-top of an open-front cafe where clay pots of food would have been kept warm and ready to serve "fast-food" to people too busy to stop and sit at a restaurant. Pompeii had a lot of visitors from Rome once it came under Roman rule.

15637608746_069d7fd365_b.jpg

Narrow sidewalks

15637610676_1ea1f9e67f_b.jpg

Entrance to a house which has a small pool in the lobby. Not a peasant's home. The pool has a chain around it and was very shallow. For decoration

only.

15040599304_77275de6d3_b.jpg[/url]

The town of Pompeii was bigger than I had imagined. Population estimates vary from 11,000 to 20,000 people (they wouldn't stand still so it was hard to count them). There was a hotel which could accommodate visitors, mainly vacationers from Rome. As it once was a port it also had many brothels.

The modern town we had just driven through is Pompei.

15474704319_e25767cd11_b.jpg

Here we are making our way to a Women's bathhouse. Men had a separate one, shown in the photo which comes after.

15662170832_001f8eb478_b.jpg

15041209773_009dbb5574_b.jpg

Walls were decorated so it was not simply utilitarian but more a place where ladies could bathe in warm water and socialize.

15475774740_1bcfee33cf_b.jpg