Mediterranean Cruise Shore Excursions

HenryK

The following shore excursions for HAL's Mediterranean cruise are indicated on HAL's web site as being priced at "$150 or more". Can anyone give me more precise prices and also some idea of what you thought of these excursions? Many thanks:

From Livorno: Discover Cinque Terre

From Piraeus: Best of Athens

From Naples: The Isle of Capri

The following shore excursions for HAL's Mediterranean cruise are indicated on HAL's web site as being priced at "$150 or more". Can anyone give me more precise prices and also some idea of what you thought of these excursions? Many thanks:

From Livorno: Discover Cinque Terre

From Piraeus: Best of Athens

From Naples: The Isle of Capri

Isle of Capri is $199.99. IMO, you can DIY for about $60 pp.

I don't have any info on the others.

Terri

Edited by Cruzin Terri

I can't address the issue of exact prices for the shore excursions.

Regarding the Cinque Terre excursion, it's a logistically difficult day from Livorno for doing on your own, and on the Mediterranean Ports of Call boards, I know several people have said the ship excursion they took was a good way to go, if seeing this area is a priority. (Most of the shorex offered by various cruiselines are more or less the same.)

Regarding Capri, that seems a ridiculous cost for a day that is very easy to do on your own. In Naples, the cruise ships dock RIGHT NEXT TO the dock where the ferries depart for Capri. There are regular departures throughout the morning and returns in the afternoon. Once on Capri, it is quite easy to get around on your own using the various transportation options (funicular to Capri Town leaves from the area where the ferries dock, buses from Capri Town to Anacapri are on a regular schedule, etc.)

More info on getting around Capri here: http://www.capri.net/en/getting-around

As for Athens, there are several easy options for getting into town. There's a HOHO that departs from the port in Piraeus that will take you into Athens and makes several stops. There is a relatively new express bus that also departs from the port and drops you near the Acropolis/Plaka area in Athens. Or you can take the metro from Piraeus into town (this option is cheap but a longer walk from the port to get to the metro station in Piraeus).

All of these are regularly discussed (and details given) on the Ports of Call boards here for the various Mediterranean destinations.

In Piraeus, there are 2 different Hop On Hop Off bus lines within 1 block of the terminal. You walk out, go through the drop off/taxi area to the street, then left a few feet and there they are. We thoroughly enjoyed the red HOHO bus, which is what we took. It was about 20 euros per person, had 2 different routes, took us to more places than we wanted to see which was awesome and no waiting in lines except at the Acropolis, and we could stay out touring as long as we wanted! We once hopped off because a store looked interesting - and it was! The commentary was great. Recommend you take a look. http://www.citysightseeing.gr/red-and-blue-route/tour-map/. Naples also has the same bus tour as you seem to want the overview, which we also wanted as only there for a day or 2. We found these bus tours to be the best as we often go all around the 1st time to see everything, then hop off when we want on our 2nd go around.

There is also a similar yellow bus tour from the same location but you would have to check on line - think it was Athens tour bus of something similar.

We tendered into La Spezia when we visited Cinque Terre via HAL. The was a train station within walking distance that took us to each of the 5 towns and it was very affordable and quick. We chose to get off in Manarola, eat and walk to Riomaggiore on the Via D'Amore and then take the train back. It's about 10 minutes from Rio to La S.

http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/cinque-terre/train

We tendered into La Spezia when we visited Cinque Terre via HAL. The was a train station within walking distance that took us to each of the 5 towns and it was very affordable and quick. We chose to get off in Manarola, eat and walk to Riomaggiore on the Via D'Amore and then take the train back. It's about 10 minutes from Rio to La S.

http://www.walksofitaly.com/blog/cinque-terre/train

I agree it's relatively easy to do the Cinque Terre from La Spezia. But the OP is going from Llivorno -- much farther away.

Sorry was confused. Hubby just reminded we were also supposed to stop in Livorno as well but got redirected after we boarded. I don't remember why exactly but something re the Costa ship for some reason.

Sorry for the mixup. At least you have info if you get re-routed too :)

While we are on this subject, I have a friend who is mobility challenged and wants to do the HAL Capri tour. The icon shows three men walking, which usually means strenuous activity. Has anyone done this tour that can shed some light on the day's activities?

She is able to walk, but not long distances. It is my understanding that there is a walking tour involved. I suggested that they take the ferry and just do what they can on their own and return to the ship when they are ready.

I was in Capri many years ago and plan on returning next year, but will DIY.

Any help is appreciated.

Terri

We did the Cinque Terre tour with HAL a couple of years ago from Livorno. It involved a bus, a train, and quite a bit of walking. I think it would be very difficult to do on your own. The towns were interesting, but very very crowded. I had been told that these towns were spectacular. I wouldn't call them spectacular, but they were lovely, though I wouldn't go back.

"Jellifer" posted a great description of the HAL tour to Capri from Naples in her report from the NA. It's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2085144&page=2 - just down the page a bit. On the strength of it, we have booked that tour for our cruise.

Thank you very much. That helps a lot.

Terri

If your friend has mobility issues, be very careful about booking a 3-man walking excursion. I have arthritis and some of the 2-man walking excursions are difficult as often over broken ground, cobblestones, involve lots of steps, etc. - especially in the Med.

I called HAL today. They gave me the itinerary. They said that the 3 man icon was mainly because it was an 8-hour day. It was basically an unstructured day and only as much walking as the person wanted. I will talk to my friend tomorrow.

Thanks,

Terri