Whale Watching

purplemusik

I can't tell you about whale watching in Skagway because I didn't do it.

I will tell you I've used Orca Enterprises out of Juneaj in the past and I'm going to use them again in July 2015. I know they have some issues with Capt Larry lately, who was the captain of the boat I was on in 2006, but I'm hoping we either get a different captain or he's not drunk when he's driving my boat :eek:! There is another company in Juneau that does whale watching that I have not used and I can't remember the name... I'm sure you could find it in a thread.

Happy Planning!

I can't tell you about whale watching in Skagway because I didn't do it.

I will tell you I've used Orca Enterprises out of Juneaj in the past and I'm going to use them again in July 2015. I know they have some issues with Capt Larry lately, who was the captain of the boat I was on in 2006, but I'm hoping we either get a different captain or he's not drunk when he's driving my boat :eek:! There is another company in Juneau that does whale watching that I have not used and I can't remember the name... I'm sure you could find it in a thread.

Happy Planning!

LOL! These prices are fairly good compared to those I've seen. How did you like yours before? Did you have a good experience? I'm assuming so since you are going again- lol. What is happening now with him being drunk?! oy vey! lol

Skagway is not know for whale watching like Juneau is. I believe there is a whale watching company operating out of Skagway now, but it is relatively new. Juneau has been a great place to whale watch in the past and there is no reason to think it wouldn't be in the future.

On the Minimum Age Policy page, Harv &Marv suggest 2 other whale watching companies that accept children and offer a child discount.

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/childrenunder13.html

Look for trip reports that include children and you;ll get a first hand recommendation. ( Mollanjake had a young daughter with them, so look at their report.)

Or look at the town web site for a list of other vendors;

http://www.traveljuneau.com

Edited by mapleleaves

Whale watching is a fantastic experience. We have been on whale watching excursions at Juneau and Icy Strait Point. We always book them through the cruise line. They specify 100% guarantee that you will see whales. The description below is from one of the cruise websites that we went on recently:

Of course, no whale-watching tour would be complete without seeing whales, and we are so confident in our Alaskan crew's spotting ability that if you don't see one of these magnificent creatures you will receive a $100.00 cash refund when you disembark the tour vessel. But don't anticipate money back, as whales have been spotted on every tour for the past fourteen years!

As others have said, whale watching is also available through private vendors.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

I highly recommend Orca Enterprises, I have gone out with them 3 times since late August, and had excellent safe trips. Their knowledge of the area and wildlife really enhances the tour, along with great viewing on their boat- with upper 360' viewing.

We went once with H&M when DS was 6, but we booked the entire boat with another family who had a 4yo. That was before there was an age restriction. In 2011, DS was 10 and H&M had enacted their rule, but they recommended Alaska Galore to us. They also are mostly natives of Juneau, the boat we were on held 10 passengers and we had a great time with them as well.

Whale watching is a fantastic experience. We have been on whale watching excursions at Juneau and Icy Strait Point. We always book them through the cruise line. They specify 100% guarantee that you will see whales. The description below is from one of the cruise websites that we went on recently:

Of course, no whale-watching tour would be complete without seeing whales, and we are so confident in our Alaskan crew's spotting ability that if you don't see one of these magnificent creatures you will receive a $100.00 cash refund when you disembark the tour vessel. But don't anticipate money back, as whales have been spotted on every tour for the past fourteen years!

As others have said, whale watching is also available through private vendors.

Happy cruising!

Fact, humpback sightings out of Auke Bay- where the Juneau whale watches go are 100% and have been so, for the 20 years I've been going there. In my opinion, this is a pretty worthless "guarantee". :)

My wife and I went out with Orca Enterprises on Sept. 3rd. Capt. Matt and Capt. Larry were in charge. We had a blast. Capt. Larry put us in the middle of lots of Humpbacks. Got lots of pictures. Saw a Steller Sea Lion and several seals. I'd go with them again. Terry & Judy