V1& 2 cabins on Viking Star

tipsygirl

Would be interested in hearing from others in V1 or V2 cabins regarding your opinion on the restrictions placed on dining and shore excursion reservations for the V category.

Since we travel quite a bit, including 3 or more cruises a year, we tend to book the cruise category that provides the best value for comfort and enjoyment. We booked back in May 2013 when reservations for the Star came online and the cat. V cabins looked like a great "deal" considering they are verandah cabins and nicely sized. So we booked a V2. However, as more information has developed we are finding that our cabin choice is much more restrictive than we had originally thought, and have only found out through repeated inquiries to Viking what V category cabins are actually allowed. Much too late to change cabins since our cruse has been fully booked for some time.

Regarding dining, this is the first ship where we have found we will have no main dining room assignment until we embark and negotiate the arrangements. On other ships only the specialty restaurants have been this restrictive, and on 2 lines which we frequent the opportunity for all restaurant reservations is the same for all cabin categories. The restrictions do not make me happy, but we will work things out. Since I am on a gluten free diet this causes me some concern, but we will make contacts with the restaurant staff onboard and come up with a plan for dining arrangements.

Regarding shore excursions we knew that only deluxe veranda and above would be able to book tours 90 days out. What was not clear until a response this week from Viking is that we will not be able to book excursions at all until we embark. So if we don't wish to have access to only the leftovers we will need to book with independent operators.

Have communicated my concerns to my TA as well as Viking. Just wondering what others in the V group are considering for dining and excursions and what you may have heard from Viking. I am also wondering why Viking went this route of creating a"lesser" group of passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here's another way to think about it...

In order to maximize yield and serve different market segments, all cruise lines differentiate levels somehow. If there are big differences in the 'hard product' of cabins (say, verandah vs no verandah) then the 'soft product' (say, early access to dinner reservation) don't need to have dramatic differences between cabin levels to justify prices differences.

On the other hand, if the lower level cabins are 'acceptable' to a broad audience (obviously not identical in size or amenities to higher levels, but not deficient in key areas either) then in falls to the softer product to form the basis for differentiation.

I take the differences as a good sign that the cabins themselves will be great!

For us, then, if becomes an exercise in putting a price on the services. Some are easy - a bottle of (probably not exceptional) champaign and a shoe shine? Not worth much to us.

Regarding early access to dinner and tour reservations, I guess there is some risk. We don't sail until 2016. If we hear from the early cruisers that V1/2 are not eating until 10:30 (or at 4:30!), are missing out on the better entrees, are stuck with the port area walking tour in every city, etc., we'll be most unhappy (and noisy) about it. Although, frankly we expect to book several on our own anyway. If it just means we don't know for sure when and where we will have dinner 60 days in advance, we can live with that! Time will tell.

To be fair, they do lay out the differences pretty clearly so folks can determine for themselves what they choose to pay for.

Here's another way to think about it...

In order to maximize yield and serve different market segments, all cruise lines differentiate levels somehow. If there are big differences in the 'hard product' of cabins (say, verandah vs no verandah) then the 'soft product' (say, early access to dinner reservation) don't need to have dramatic differences between cabin levels to justify prices differences.

On the other hand, if the lower level cabins are 'acceptable' to a broad audience (obviously not identical in size or amenities to higher levels, but not deficient in key areas either) then in falls to the softer product to form the basis for differentiation.

I take the differences as a good sign that the cabins themselves will be great!

For us, then, if becomes an exercise in putting a price on the services. Some are easy - a bottle of (probably not exceptional) champaign and a shoe shine? Not worth much to us.

Regarding early access to dinner and tour reservations, I guess there is some risk. We don't sail until 2016. If we hear from the early cruisers that V1/2 are not eating until 10:30 (or at 4:30!), are missing out on the better entrees, are stuck with the port area walking tour in every city, etc., we'll be most unhappy (and noisy) about it. Although, frankly we expect to book several on our own anyway. If it just means we don't know for sure when and where we will have dinner 60 days in advance, we can live with that! Time will tell.

To be fair, they do lay out the differences pretty clearly so folks can determine for themselves what they choose to pay for.

We sail in 2015, so perhaps you will benefit from any changes in policy we early sailors are able to influence. What does or does not change will certainly influence whether we again sail with Viking Oceans, or will do our ocean sailings with other cruise lines and limit our Viking voyage to Viking River cruises.

We are on the first voyage out of Berger 2015 in a V2 cabin. I asked several times about seating for meals and tours availability due to our cabin class. I made our reservations directly with Viking. I was assured....that this would not be an issue. I will let you know how that works out.

D & J

We are on the first voyage out of Berger 2015 in a V2 cabin. I asked several times about seating for meals and tours availability due to our cabin class. I made our reservations directly with Viking. I was assured....that this would not be an issue. I will let you know how that works out.

D & J

D&J, we are on the next voyage after yours. Our biggest concern is tours for Berlin and St. Petersburg. Have been researching tour companies for these ports on Trip Advisor and Cruise Critic and have found 5 companies that provide tours for these ports that are highly rated. One is a US company. Will continue to check them out. Without pricing for the Viking tours it is hard to compare, even if we were able to book the ship's tours. But groups are smaller and itineraries look good with the outside tours.

RE dining, our TA was told "it would not be an issue", but it was made clear we would have to take care of all dining arrangements after embarkation. So it is still an issue to me.

Do stay in touch with any info that comes to you from Viking and I will do the same

Would prefer a shift in policy, but in lieu of that, the more information we can gather the better. The last time my TA called Viking, this time re booking tours, he had the impression Viking had received a number of calls about this and the dining situation, so perhaps they will be responsive.

Viking doesn't know everything yet. They won't know what they don't know until long after I sail on the Istanbul first leg. Much of our discomfit is this attempt to keep flexibility by Viking.

Only last week did Viking admit that all US passengers leaving from Istanbul would need visas.

We'll see how well an infinity pool works on the high seas.

I will call my Viking Rep this week and voice our concerns again. I was told you can order room service 24 hours a day and with a veranda, it might be nice to have a quiet dinner away from the crowd. Regarding the Visas in Istanbul.. We took an Overseas adventure Travels cruise to Greece and Turkey and paid $175.00 each for visas from a travel company recommended through OAT. Then on the ship passengers could pay $20.00 and get a visas on the spot. For St. Peterburgs, I think if you take a tour through Viking, the visa is not needed, but if you hire a private tour, then you will need a visa. Is that your understanding? We will most likely get our visas, just in case we cannot get a tour of the Hermitage with Viking.

D & J

I will call my Viking Rep this week and voice our concerns again. I was told you can order room service 24 hours a day and with a veranda, it might be nice to have a quiet dinner away from the crowd. Regarding the Visas in Istanbul.. We took an Overseas adventure Travels cruise to Greece and Turkey and paid $175.00 each for visas from a travel company recommended through OAT. Then on the ship passengers could pay $20.00 and get a visas on the spot. For St. Peterburgs, I think if you take a tour through Viking, the visa is not needed, but if you hire a private tour, then you will need a visa. Is that your understanding? We will most likely get our visas, just in case we cannot get a tour of the Hermitage with Viking.

D & J

Regarding visas in St Petersburg, I have been reading info on websites for several highly rated tour agencies. There appears to be no problem with an independent tour company providing cruise passengers with a visa. It is included in their price. One company which is American owned has an extensive article on this visa with myths and truths. It is a special 72 hour visa designed by the Russian government specifically for cruise passengers. If you go to TripAdvisor and search for tour guides in St. Petersburg you can check out some of the available companies and their ratings and reviews. Don't know about Istanbul. We have been to other parts of Turkey by cruise ship and I don't recall any mention of a visa on that trip 3 years ago.

On the off chance that someone from Viking is monitoring this, I'll jump back in with my opinion.

The whole 30, 60, 90 day 'early access' thing, which seems to showing up everywhere these days, I know is intended as a privilege, but is becoming a burden in it's own right. It's gotten so people think they must dial in the moment their window opens or they'll be left with the dregs. But really, I'm not sure I want to commit to what I'll have for dinner three months out - especially at a place I haven't even seen, let alone tasted the food.

When I think of my favorite restaurants, where the owner knows my name, the privilege I enjoy is not that he'd take a reservation from me 60 days before he normally opens the books - though I expect he would - it's that if I drop in on lark, he'll find a table for me!

So I'd reverse the whole process: say to V1's - in order to *guarantee* your preferred time and location you MUST confirm 90 days out. (Reservations would be open to all.) Graduating up the owner's suite where reservations are never required but seating *is* guaranteed.

I don't know if that's workable - but it seems to accommodate the detailed planners as well as provide a true benefit as the price rises.

My 2 cents!

Regarding visas in St Petersburg, I have been reading info on websites for several highly rated tour agencies. There appears to be no problem with an independent tour company providing cruise passengers with a visa. It is included in their price. One company which is American owned has an extensive article on this visa with myths and truths. It is a special 72 hour visa designed by the Russian government specifically for cruise passengers. If you go to TripAdvisor and search for tour guides in St. Petersburg you can check out some of the available companies and their ratings and reviews. Don't know about Istanbul. We have been to other parts of Turkey by cruise ship and I don't recall any mention of a visa on that trip 3 years ago.

We are on the 7/25 Viking Homelands. I have looked into Alla and SPB private tours and they take care of the Visas and paperwork. As for Istanbul, it you embark or disembark in a Turkish port than you need a visa. If you are visiting for the day on a ship you do not need a visa.

I am confused about the dining reservations and called Viking. I am still confused. We are DV since there were no more V cabins left when we booked. I was under the impression when we booked that the MDR (aka The Restaurant) is open dining so why would you need a reservation? Viking said it is to put our priorities in place (ie. two up versus eating with others). So if I don't want to eat at the same time every day I guess I am suppose to say that 60 days prior? I don't get it. I understand the specialty restaurants reservation but not the MDR.

As for excursions, I asked about the "free" excursions and was told there would be 30 people per bus and all would be accommodated. I have no idea how the excursions with a price will be handled.

We are on the 7/25 Viking Homelands. I have looked into Alla and SPB private tours and they take care of the Visas and paperwork. As for Istanbul, it you embark or disembark in a Turkish port than you need a visa. If you are visiting for the day on a ship you do not need a visa.

I have also been checking into Alla. My travel agent said he had gotten positive comments from other TAs about them I have asked him to find out any specifics. I think they also have a Berlin tour that picks you up at the ship.

We used Alla for St Petersburg a couple of years ago and they were excellent. They were able to customize our tour and the 3 other couples we connected with on CC were also pleased. Our canal ride was a group of us 8 only.

Thanks so much. Their rates are very competitive. Love the "flat fee" also.

Would be interested in hearing from others in V1 or V2 cabins regarding your opinion on the restrictions placed on dining and shore excursion reservations for the V category.

Regarding shore excursions we knew that only deluxe veranda and above would be able to book tours 90 days out. What was not clear until a response this week from Viking is that we will not be able to book excursions at all until we embark. So if we don't wish to have access to only the leftovers we will need to book with independent operators.

Tipsy, I have some of the same concerns as you. We're booked on the maiden in a V2, mostly because I didn't want to overspend on an unknown, and, like you, the V2 cabins seemed quite spacious and just fine. I figured there would be a lot of confusion on the maiden no matter the cabin level, so why overspend? I thought the big disadvantage would be the excursions, but I tend to book my own anyway and wasn't concerned. Well, now I'd like to book my excursions, but Viking won't post the port times, and calls to Viking have been in vain. Since I won't be able to book shore excursions until on board in a V2, I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess I'll just have to hope private tour operators will work with me without times?

The other thing I was miffed about was the lack of coffee pot in the V2. Everybody else has one but the few in that bottom level cabin. That seems really ticky tack, but it's not the end of the world - certainly not worth the extra $800 or whatever the price difference was.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

• Thanks 1

Well, now I'd like to book my excursions, but Viking won't post the port times, and calls to Viking have been in vain. Since I won't be able to book shore excursions until on board in a V2, I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess I'll just have to hope private tour operators will work with me without times?

:)

I really don't understand this at all. When I booked the Viking Homelands cruise way back when I received a document from Viking with the port times. When I called they said they would not post because they are subject to change. Every other cruise line has them posted so this is strange. You might want to check the individual port authorities for your arrival and departure because for 2015 they have them.

I've checked all the port timetable websites that have been so helpful to me in the past for other trips, and only one has Viking Star listed, and that one has no times either. It's really only a concern for me for Santorini and Ephesus on our cruise, because I have specific things I want to do.

Someone (BearMusic?) posted port times that he got off a PDF about a year and a half ago, but he seems to be the only one that got one (maybe you did too Terrier?), and Viking wouldn't corroborate when anyone else called. I was only concerned because his times showed us in Kusadasi from noon until 6:00, which is pretty quick for a tour of Ephesus. I guess I'll just book something on my own and hope for the best. Things usually work out.

Tipsy, I have some of the same concerns as you. We're booked on the maiden in a V2, mostly because I didn't want to overspend on an unknown, and, like you, the V2 cabins seemed quite spacious and just fine. I figured there would be a lot of confusion on the maiden no matter the cabin level, so why overspend? I thought the big disadvantage would be the excursions, but I tend to book my own anyway and wasn't concerned. Well, now I'd like to book my excursions, but Viking won't post the port times, and calls to Viking have been in vain. Since I won't be able to book shore excursions until on board in a V2, I'm at a bit of a loss. I guess I'll just have to hope private tour operators will work with me without times?

The other thing I was miffed about was the lack of coffee pot in the V2. Everybody else has one but the few in that bottom level cabin. That seems really ticky tack, but it's not the end of the world - certainly not worth the extra $800 or whatever the price difference was.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Re, the coffee pot...we are early risers,but also love/need our early morning coffee. And is nice to be able to sit on the balcony and sip as the day begins. We always travel with two large insulated mugs and take turns making a morning trip to the 24 hour coffee station which almost all ships have now. Meet some interesting people, both staff and passengers on these excursions. I agree with you that this seems tacky to deny one group of passengers, but not worth the price difference. I keep asking myself what consulting group came up with this list that differentiates the haves from the have nots.

We sailed on a Viking River cruise ship recently that was new and on a new itinerary. We and our TA could not get accurate info on several issues by calling Viking. The chatter on Cruise Critic about the situation became pretty intense. After a few days a Viking rep got on the roll call to let everyone know there would be a special phone number to call with a special contact who would provide us with the information we were seeking. So that was a situation where the info existed, but the people answering the phones did not have it and were winging it. Not sure what the situation is regarding the Star's port times.

Hi, I have many of the same concerns, so I hope the included internet has enough bandwidth for all of us.

Re: coffeepot I'm an ocean cruiser and would not want a coffeepot. There is room service and coffee from them is better. Also the electric requirements for a coffeepot would be like another hairdryer. I've never seen a coffeepot in a ship's cabin.

You do know that the Ephesus tour is included.

Hi, I have many of the same concerns, so I hope the included internet has enough bandwidth for all of us.

Re: coffeepot I'm an ocean cruiser and would not want a coffeepot. There is room service and coffee from them is better. Also the electric requirements for a coffeepot would be like another hairdryer. I've never seen a coffeepot in a ship's cabin.

You do know that the Ephesus tour is included.

Re the coffee pot as an example of a supposed perk for DV and above guests…I suspect it is a Nepresso type. Saw this also on a new river cruise ship (not Viking) on which we took the inaugural cruise several years ago. The ship was very proud of having one in every cabin, regardless of the fact that it took up needed space on the dresser and blocked a needed electrical outlet.(They were much less concerned with things like whether the safe worked, or whether their shore excursions were well organized, whether the dining room provided good and timely meals, or why our verandah cabin was 1/3 smaller than the one across the hall at the same price.) They were very surprised when many of us, especially those who like REAL coffee, either returned the coffee maker to the front desk or put it under the bed. Those of us who were most vocal about issues spent a lot of time with the cruise director and the onboard rep from the company outlining problems and helping identify fixes, at their request. The coffee pot issue was just and early "canary in the coal mine" indicator of issues onboard.

So, I continue to wonder who is advising Viking on what types of info constitute priorities for their passengers, and which services to provide to all vs some to provide the greatest satisfaction for their guests. Comments on this thread and other threads re The Star also reflect that some folks have pieces of information that others do not, and some pieces of information are conflicting. The Viking website is not helpful in providing clarification.

I knew we were taking a risk booking this ship in her first season. However, I was counting on Viking's reputation to minimize problems. In agreement with Amyr, I can be somewhat more tolerant since I elected a lower price cabin. Perhaps we will be better off with private tours (if we can get the information to book them), and perhaps having the spontaneity of last minute arrangements for dining with contribute to our experience. But more clarity and transparency in information provided would be appreciated.

I know the Ephesus tour is included, but I'm concerned that they really won't have an idea of how to really move 900 passengers through there on included tours on the maiden trip through. I want to do Ephesus on our own anyway (without the rug factory stop), but I'll take what they offer if it's good. For our cruise, my real problem is Santorini. I'm trying to book a private photography tour, but they won't confirm me until I have set port times.

tipsy - we usually buy large souvenir type mugs early in our trips and use those for coffee from the buffet if we have to go that way. Like you, we like coffee early before we get dressed though, and I always try the room service coffee, and I've never liked it. You either have to wait a half an hour for it, or it's tepid and weak. I really liked the idea of a coffee machine in the cabin, I love having one in hotel rooms when I travel. I'll even take a Nespresso machine for that first cup in bed :)

I am really trying to look at this as a new experience for us and not over plan.....but it is hard to change my cruising ways! I think at least in the short term future that ports/ docks and arrival and departure times should be sent to the guests. I do agree it will be hard to send buses with 30 guests each out on these excursions. At least publish a price list for the excursions They really need an online reservation system like every other cruise line has ......

I am really trying to look at this as a new experience for us and not over plan.....but it is hard to change my cruising ways! I think at least in the short term future that ports/ docks and arrival and departure times should be sent to the guests. I do agree it will be hard to send buses with 30 guests each out on these excursions. At least publish a price list for the excursions They really need an online reservation system like every other cruise line has ......

Re, putting 900 people on buses...I had created a scenario in my mind where not all the the buses left at the same time, but staggered, or alternate a.m./p.m. groups. Just my brain on auto-planning mode. I do wonder how they will make it work. Also, if this is a mass exodus first thing when we dock anyone trying to get off for a private tour will have a bit of a problem. More unanswered questions. I am beginning to think I will need an alternative to the included tours in order to actually see the sights I want. So what sounded like a great idea may be one of Viking's greater problems.

This is the response I received from Viking regarding my request for port times. This response is ridiculous in my opinion. What if you booked directly with Viking?

Nautical schedules are not released as they are subject to adjustment. We recommend using your personal travel agent for assistance roughly 90 days prior to your cruise tour. If your agent needs specific information we can only provide it to them on your behalf.

This is the response I received from Viking regarding my request for port times. This response is ridiculous in my opinion. What if you booked directly with Viking?

I agree.....We are taking an Azamara cruise in November 2015 and there is a complete list of ports and times on the website now. Plus what excursions are available for purchase. I understand due to the nature of cruising these times and docking facilities are subject to change but at least you get an idea....