Prague for 3 days need help!

LuckyJ

I think I have come to the best spot for this. We are arriving 3 days ahead of a river cruise. I need to know about good places to eat. And places not to be missed. How about outside Prague.

Thank you

Janet

hi Janet, We were in Prague for 3 days this past June. Where to eat depends a lot on where you're staying. What's not be missed in Prague. Well, the Old Town Square for sure....that's where the astronomical clock is and there are restaurants and shopping galore in and around the square. From the square you can walk to the Charles Bridge (a serious walk!) and you can walk to the Jewish Quarter (closer) and it is not to be missed. You can buy a ticket for all of the major sights and there will be signs telling you where to purchase them. Prague Castle is also not to be missed and you should plan on spending a full day there. If you want to go to Kutna Hora, which was an amazing all day trip, you can make arrangements in the square with one of the many travel kiosks, just make sure any trip you take to Kutna Hora includes the Ossuary. We were at the Hilton Prague Old Town and there were a number of restaurants near-by, one of them a fantastic french restaurant and another one an authentic Czech restaurant. All of them seem to have menus in English and take American credit cards (Amex and Discover not as readily as Visa and MC).

If you like history, I strongly recommend taking any tour offered by The Naked Tourguide. They're small tours with excellent story telling, and they'll include a mixture of major sites and "off the beaten path" sites. You will likely need to book in advance.

If you eat in Old Town, you'll pay up to twice as much as you would if you eat in New Town, or even further out (just one or two metro stops from Old Town).

We went to Kutna Hora on our own by taking a train from the main train station. They have a great little tourist office when you get there that will give you a map and tell you how to get around, if you prefer to DIY.

I'd recommend seeing an opera at the National Theater, and eating at the restaurant/cafe across the street. Excellent food. We saw Rusalka (in Czech with English subtitles) and really enjoyed it.

I was just in Prague in September. I've blogged about some of the trip, but not all. You can see the posts I have finished here: http://www.grosstravelchronicles.blogspot.com

"Good places to eat" is pretty generic. What is your budget? What type of cuisine and ambiance are you looking for? Where are you staying?

We have been to Prague twice and been had some very good meals there.

I recommend a private guide for at least a half day to get a real sense of the history of this city and not just skim the surface.

with tour from AMA and really enjoyed it(I mean the history).Very sad,of course but I had never been to one before.

We also took the city bus tour and then walked on own with guidebook.Saw the the Jewish section and cemetery,famous bridge,old town sites.

We asked the concierge for rest.rec s and all within walking distance of hotel(Hilton) and very good.Only prob was smoking,even outside.One had no smoking area,in basement.

Thank you everyone this has been a big help for us. This is the best place for info!

Caviargal....We are staying at the Intercontinental.

And we would like to try some food from the country. I think I read on this board that there are a lot of restaurants around this hotel? Budget well my DH said not a 100.00 dollars a meal LOL! We like trying different foods.

I have read your post and have taken notes, you have been a big help to others in the past.

Thanks

Janet

We spent two days in Prague, right in the heart of Old Town. We did not find the meal prices to be high at all.

Our favorite restaurant was Cafe Imperial. The meal was extraordinary from start to finish. The decor alone is worth putting this on your "must do" list. With appetizers, wine, entrees and dessert we paid under $75 for two.

We did see a charming little place as we strolled through the vineyard on Palace Hill, wish I knew the name. It was tucked into the hillside in a glass enclosure, blown glass grape clusters overhead, just lovely. I would search this place out next time.

There is so much to see and do in Prague, one of our favorite places ever! We loved every minute. I would strongly recommend hiring a private guide.

"Good places to eat" is pretty generic. What is your budget? What type of cuisine and ambiance are you looking for? Where are you staying?

We have been to Prague twice and been had some very good meals there.

I recommend a private guide for at least a half day to get a real sense of the history of this city and not just skim the surface.

If you're touring Prague on your own, then this is really good advice!!!

I was born in Prague but have been living in Canada for last 25 years.

Restaurants changed during that time...but if I may suggest,try some not too fancy looking places where locals eat-not the "tourist traps'. While in Prague you will not miss French fries and burgers (even though there are plenty of McD's and other similar places)-you will have opportunity to try a new to you, flavourful and very tasty Czech cusine.

As for what not to miss-definitely Prague Castle;to have a nice,sunny day with clear skies for this trip would be a bonus as you could see almost the whole city from the hill -an unforgettable experience.

Hope you are going to enjoy your stay in my home town:D!

Edited by cruisingcanadian

I was born in Prague but have been living in Canada for last 25 years.

Restaurants changed during that time...but if I may suggest,try some not too fancy looking places where locals eat-not the "tourist traps'. While in Prague you will not miss French fries and burgers (even though there are plenty of McD's and other similar places)-you will have opportunity to try a new to you, flavourful and very tasty Czech cusine.

As for what not to miss-definitely Prague Castle;to have a nice,sunny day with clear skies for this trip would be a bonus as you could see almost the whole city from the hill -an unforgettable experience.

Hope you are going to enjoy your stay in my home town:D!

Our best dinner last visit was at Cestr: http://cestr.ambi.cz/en/

We have enjoyed several good dinners here: http://pastafresca.ambi.cz/cz/

In New Town there is a very old church tucked into a side street on a small square. Directly across was a wonderful small cafe that we went to for lunch twice last visit. I am still looking for the card and will post if I can find it.

Here is a link with some other ideas: http://prague-stay.com/lifestyle/tag/83-cafe-in-new-town/

Edited by caviargal