Taste Bar - your thoughts?

Mutumbojimbo

I am not a fan of sushi so it didn't bother me when they got rid of it to replace it with the taste bar. But if they are going to have a taste bar then it should at least be OPEN. On our cruise in July on the Pride the taste bar was right outside the Sports Bar but it was never open.

What's the point in having it if they're not going to be open

What's the point in having it if they're not going to be open

Exactly the point I was trying to make with the thread. It could be so much more than it is. In addition to the concepts that Carnival currently features, they could feature the Fish and Chips, or the Tandoor. I'm sure some of those places might serve food that's unfamiliar to some cruisers, but maybe if they had a small sample, they'd find something else that they like. But at the minimum, it should be open every night.

I find it frustrating that an option that was available every night (sushi bar) was replaced with a venue that, in my experience, is only open certain evenings.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This is just another example of Carnival finding ways to devalue their product. Food costs on any ship (or restraunt) is an important element to control. Unfortunately Carnival has done this at the expense of their customers. While we can find other examples of cost cutting that directly impact their passengers, this change was extremely transparent. As Carnival continues to compete price wise in the marketplace, they will continue to devalue their product in their effort to achieve profitability. They have no choice as they must appease shareholders.

But there is a balance...if the customer is not satisfied, the cabins will go unfilled. It's not JUST about the shareholders. The Breeze and all it's new features definitely focus on what the consumer wants. Our big issue is getting used to having to pay in the restaurants, but as long as the MDR serves good food we will be returning. We just won't go to the restaurants unless it's a special night. The pay theater on the Breeze was worth it to us but there has to be a better way to seat people...FCFS requires one to arrive 30 minutes early or wait until after the first group gets done. I'm kind of surprised room service is still free with no mandatory tip included- that should be required after having trays of food delivered right to your cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't do sushi, but the DH does. He was not disappointed when the serving station became the Taste Bar, we have always enjoyed what samples they have given out. And this way both of us can enjoy something. We had read that the sushi was being served on the lido, but we never saw any there. In fact the only sushi we saw was the appetizer in the MDR, or the chocolate sushi at the lido at the chocolate buffet.

Mmmmmm looks very interesting and tasty if not a little messy! Reminder to self. Do not go t o taste bar when dressed for casual elegant!

Do hope it is open lots on the splendor in the spring....looks like a likely place for nice appies instead of choosing off the MDR menu for appies. Thx for your comments and photos.

I find it frustrating that an option that was available every night (sushi bar) was replaced with a venue that, in my experience, is only open certain evenings.

I found the Taste Bar open most every evening.........but not really worth the visit.

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a 7-day on the Carnival Glory and were disappointed that the sushi bar during happy hour is gone. Apparently it is gone from all of the Conquest class ships. The Taste Bar is now there but was only open 4 nights of the 7. On the larger Carnival Breeze, there is a sushi restaurant that was quite good this past Jan. when we were on it, although there is a fee charged per item.

On the Glory when Taste was open, the bite-sized samples were tasty but the portions are sparingly small and only consist of 2 items. One night it was a small meatball and a small dried out piece of bruschetta. The offerings, when it is open, aren't of any comparison in variety or quantity of the former sushi food offerings. Disappointing overall.

I enjoyed the sushi and went every time it was open, almost always a line. When I've been to the taste bar it's always been empty and food was awkward to eat. Haven't been again on the last few cruises. It seemed like every time I went it was always a meatball or pulled pork, not bad, just not the same.

One of my favorite parts of the cruise to be honest.

I enjoy cruising and trying new things. I like the small sample portions that make you feel like you're not wasting a whole meal if you don't like it. I like the elegance they put into such a small dish. it's nice strolling through there before or after dinner and at night and being able to pick up a small, elegant be delicious snack. the sushi bar on the Pride was a cart!! a no joke cart. I don't like sushi but my travel buddy at the time did, and I was amazed on why it was advertised to 3500 people when there was 1 person working it. Really love the taste bar, 27 days until I experience the glory's for the 3rd time !! (: