Spinning - Yoga Classes on Independence?

Hi,

We'll be on the Indy over the week of Thanksgiving. I was wondering if anyone has recently taken a spin or yoga class and what was the price? We're they worth it? I plan on taking the free stretching classes.

Thanks,

Michelle

We've done the spinning classes on all of our cruises (but not on the Indy, yet)- they are all generally the same ship to ship.

WE like them- but I totally understand if others are not willing to pay $12.50 plus tip per person.

Talking to an instructor- the cost is to make sure that people are serious about the class, as in show up and stay. A nominal fee means that you ahve "skin" in the game are are more likely to work at it.

They used to warn us that we will be charge if we sign up and don't show- but that stopped happening quite a while ago.

• 2 months later...

I just came back from the 6 day Western Caribbean cruise on the Independence of the Seas Nov 29th - Dec 6th and I loved it.

While there I went to 2 yoga classes (one on the beach in Labadee :) ) and one spin class on Day 6. Both were great. Especially the yoga on the beach and the spin class where there was a particularly attractive tall, dark and handsome man spinning next to me. (If you happen to see this message me ;)

Found out that there is actually a schedule for the entire week of spa and gym activities available on the first day on the cruise at the fitness center. It lists all the classes for the week so you can actually plan ahead what you want to go to around your excursions rather waiting for the Compass to come out each day. Plus some classes (yoga on the beach, spin) require you to sign up in advance. I was wait listed for the yoga on the beach but got in just fine. The instructor said they usually let everyone on the waitlist in since a lot of people who sign up don't show up. The classes were well worth the $12.50 fee.

Edited by Mikchic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We both workout daily in the Fitness center while onboard.

We already take twice weekly spinning & yoga classes at our club back at home. So we just work out & pass on paying extra for those classes while onboard. Only paid once for yoga on the beach.

Also, pass on the "free" seminars in the gym, they're just trying to sell you overpriced & dubious spa products.

• 2 months later...

Since we are driving and don't have luggage restrictions, my daughter and I plan on bringing our own yoga mats to do our own thing. Did y'all run across any private areas to do so? I am not aiming for an audience lol but with my 18 year old daughter it may happen anyway ***sigh***

Since we are driving and don't have luggage restrictions, my daughter and I plan on bringing our own yoga mats to do our own thing. Did y'all run across any private areas to do so? I am not aiming for an audience lol but with my 18 year old daughter it may happen anyway ***sigh***

There is an area in the fitness center normally used for classes that you can use between classes.

I was just on the IOS in March and on the Freedom Class ships, there was a group fitness room with wood floors and mirrors that you can use providing that a class isn't in session. There is also an open area adjacent to this which has carpet and mirrors specifically for those who want to do their own mat or floor routines. But they have mats and wet wipes to disinfect them if you don't want to haul added equipment with you. Pictures attached. :)

Are you talking the Indy or a similar ship? They all have a open floor gym area. You will have to work around the classes they have- spinning and yoga. But that is a good space for foor mat kind of work.

Not private, as in a closed room, but it's a separate room from all the rest of the work out equipment.

I am at the gym as many days as I can be (depending upon excursions) when on a cruise. On our Indy sailing this past February....for the first time, I took the yoga classes....very good....I think it was $12 plus automatic tip added. I just wish they would make it 'tip included' -- but they don't and probably won't.

Great class, and my DH and I are beginners....so the instructor told the seasoned yogists how to work harder at the moves and the beginners how to prevent getting hurt and over pushing themselves.

The area that is used can be used by anyone if a class is not going on. On Indy, they have a wonderful area adjacent to the class area for people to use for their own workout....it is much nicer than the space on some other ships....so this was nice. Indy also had a very nice variety of machines to use....which I appreciated as well. Since I like to do a combination.