Bar Set Up 15% fee added

McDebbie

On hold (20 minutes now) trying to order bar set up for Getaway cruise leaving 10/18. They are trying to add a 15% tip to the bottle and not charge the $3.00 service fee. The lady and her supervisor are telling me it has "always" been added. Which we all know is incorrect.

They spouted something about prices are always subject to change and now the tip will be added and not the service charge. If anyone has ordered TODAY (not yesterday or last week) please let me know your experience. I declined the order and advised them I would be contacting other NCL staff.

You either booked your cruise through your PCC or a TA. From your post, it sounds like you are just trying to call the general 800 number to order your bar set up.

Try calling your booking agent to place the order instead. These people are far more qualified to help you and they already have a vested interest in your booking.

If that is the case no sense in PRE-booking the Bar-Set-Up with the $3 per bottle charge.

The 15% gratuity only comes into play with purchasing a bottle on board.

NOW if they (NCL) have changed their policy - quit the crap - designate the time and date the old policy ends and the new one is in effect !

Pure and simple goughing the public. The $20 bottle of hooch I get at the local liquor store is sold for $80 and a $3 handling charge and now they want to

impose ONLY the gratuity charge of $12 (15% of 80) and make $9 more in addition to the highway (maritime) robbery mark-up !

If I was in a cow handling state I would say "Get a rope" and "string-em Up" !

Since I am not then perhaps I will have to wait to 'Keel haul" the scoundrels

on the high seas !

Liquor is a big profit item for the cruise industry but this is just "Outrageous" !

Just makes me want to seriously consider being a Pirate (Rum Runner) !

Reposting the Bar-Set-Up list with prices.

So Chgodavid you paid the correct amount $100 for the Absolute Citron with $3 service charge (NOT a gratuity).

The List:

These alcoholic beverages are sold as Bar Set Up amenity orders. Available on all Ships excluding Pride of America.

Please Note: Pricing from Nov. 2013

Bar Set-Up is available for all stateroom categories.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Bar Set-Up must be pre-arranged before the voyage and can be requested up to the day prior to sailing.

Prices are subject to change. Service fee of $3.00 per bottle will be applied. 1.800.327.7030

Bourbon/Whiskey

Seagram's 7 Crown $80 1 Ltr

Jack Daniel's Black $100 1 Ltr

Crown Royal Special Reserve $100 750 Ml

Cognac

Courvoisier VS $120 750 ml

Rémy Martin V.S.O.P $100 700 ml

Gin

Beefeater $80 1 Ltr

Bombay Sapphire $100 1 Ltr

Liqueurs

Baileys Irish Cream $100 1 Ltr

Southern Comfort $100 1 Ltr

Disaronno Amaretto $100 1 Ltr

Godiva Chocolate $100 750 Ml

Grand Marnier $100 1 Ltr

Kahlua $100 1 Ltr

Rum

Bacardi Superior $80 1 Ltr

Captain Morgan $80 1 Ltr

Scotch Whiskey

J&B Rare $80 1 Ltr

Glenfiddich $100 1 Ltr

Chivas Regal $100 1 Ltr

JW Black $123 980 Ml

Tequila

Cuervo Gold $80 1 Ltr

1800 Reposado $100 750 Ml

Don Julio Reposado $120 750 Ml

Vodka

Smirnoff $80 1 Ltr

Absolut $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Citron $100 1 Ltr

Absolut Apeach $100 1 Ltr

Grey Goose $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose L'Orange $120 1 Ltr

Grey Goose La Poire $120 1 Ltr

You can now purchase a bottle on the ship. I was on the Sky last weekend and the waiters and waitresses were offering that during sailaway. I wasn't interested, so didn't get further details though, sorry! Hopefully someone else will, or I can ask on the Epic in a few weeks.

I don't know what the policy is, and we can speculate if the gratuity is right or wrong, but it's far from "outrageous." In theory at least, if you drink from your bottles, you aren't ordering drinks from the bar and therefore are not paying the gratuity on your drinks. If the bar servers make their pay from the gratuities generated on drink sales, it makes some sense.

Bar Set-Up is available for purchase onboard but you will be charged 15% on top of the price of the bottle instead of the $3 service fee.

Buying the bottle on board is the expensive way costing $9* more due to the

15% gratuity as opposed to the Pre-Cruise $3 charge.

* an $80 bottle pre-cruise is $83. Bought on board with 15% gratuity it is $92.

With a more expensive selection the 15% increases but pre-cruise the $3 stays

the same.

Thus the $100 bottle of vodka costs $103 pre-cruise and on board $115 - $12 more !

Buy Smart !

Edited by don't-use-real-name
Add material

thanks dont-use-real-name :D, that list is similar to the one that was posted with September 2014 prices.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2096060&page=2&highlight=bar+setup

I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow. As we all know, different days often offer different responses.