Hosted Tables

Carolfay

When I cruised on the Seabourn Pride in June 2013, I was pleased (as a solo traveler) by the policy of inviting single cruisers to a hosted table for each dinner. I got to meet plenty of interesting fellow sailors this way, and the hosts were all charming company. At the end of this month, I'll be on one of the larger ships for the first time. Do the "big girl" ships also have this hosted-table dinner policy?

Yes, Carolfay - just the same system applies on all the ships. You will certainly get invitations anyway, as a single, and most couples will also (though they can always suggest at the desk that they would like to be asked), so your table will be a mixture of couples and singles. Also, which I think is excellent although the odd (and I mean odd) couple object, couples are placed apart from each other, to make the mingling even better. You will therefore meet all the other singles, and many couples also.

As mentioned, the Square is also a super place to chat to people. Have a great time.

Perhaps I am naive or just don't understand, but why would couples want to sit at a "hosted table" if the purpose of such tables is to accommodate and make more comfortable those singles cruisers seeking dinner companions and possibly new friends? Is it basically just a "mixers" table, of sorts? I know that many ships feature this seating, but I know very little of it, having always been accompanied on past cruises.

Perhaps I am naive or just don't understand, but why would couples want to sit at a "hosted table" if the purpose of such tables is to accommodate and make more comfortable those singles cruisers seeking dinner companions and possibly new friends? Is it basically just a "mixers" table, of sorts? I know that many ships feature this seating, but I know very little of it, having always been accompanied on past cruises.

Hosted tables are for anyone,singles or couples who dine with other guests at a table that is hosted by a member of staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hosted tables are for anyone,singles or couples who dine with other guests at a table that is hosted by a member of staff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Gotcha! Know of any crew on Odyssey who, if they were hosting a table, would be the place for us to sit between two singles? :)

We usually cruise with another couple of similar age who are family members, but quite often for dinner we prefer to dine just the two of us, and so do they, so it works out nicely. ;)

However, on our longer cruises we've always accepted the invitation to a hosted table. It's usually an interesting mix of singles and other couples, and being still relatively new to cruising, I always learn a lot from the host about procedures behind the scenes on the ship.

Highly recommended for singles and couples, even if you just try it once.

Edited by Ravenscroft

Hosted tables are fun and interesting whether you are a couple or a solo cruiser. I enjoy hearing what other people have done during the day on port days. Also lots of fun to dine with some of the entertainers who are usually younger with fun stories of crew life.

I am social by nature so when the patio grill is first opened there is a bit of a rush for a table, but most of the time if a party of two is seated at a table they will always share. Not a hosted table, but still a time to share and converse with other passengers.

On Odyssey ? Captain Dexter of course. Start at the top!

(He's my favourite SB Captain)

In that case, it will also be the name of the gent who will be administering a renewal of our three-day old wedding vows, exchanging candles in Prague for champagne on Odyssey! Maybe will ask him to join us for dining later in the voyage! ;)

In that case, it will also be the name of the gent who will be administering a renewal of our three-day old wedding vows, exchanging candles in Prague for champagne on Odyssey! Maybe will ask him to join us for dining later in the voyage! ;)

Hopefully he will be on your cruise, but I'm sure whoever does the renewal of your three-day old vows will be wonderful. :)

I don't know if you've ever seen his blog, some nice pics of Odyssey and her officers and crew here:

http://www.captainmarkdexter.com/ship-blogs/seabourn-odyssey-2014-med/

Hosted tables of eight are easier on the kitchen and wait staff than four tables of two.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

These dinners gave me an opportunity to get many insights into Seabourn and its operations, as the entertainers, staff and officers I met were remarkably candid and bright. As for the couples at our tables, I thought most seemed happy to have conversation partners other than just their spouses. (Actually, this is one of the things I like about cruising without my husband; he and I talk to each other all the time, so it's stimulating to have some variety at the dinner table.) I think I attended the hosted dinners every night except one, when I joined a couple ladies in Restaurant 2. I'm glad Seabourn continues to offer this option, as it removes any anxiety solo sailors might have.

There is absolutely no obligation to accept invitations, you can ask for 'no invitations please' when you board, at reception, or do one or two, or none, and just phone reception as early as possible to say you are not able to attend. No one will turn a hair if you then arrive and have a table for 2, I promise you.

We are not madly sociable, but often you get a really entertaining host, and the Captains are mostly good, being adept at this sort of thing, as are the Cruise Directors. Go with the flow!:)

There is absolutely no obligation to accept invitations, you can ask for 'no invitations please' when you board, at reception, or do one or two, or none, and just phone reception as early as possible to say you are not able to attend. No one will turn a hair if you then arrive and have a table for 2, I promise you.

We are not madly sociable, but often you get a really entertaining host, and the Captains are mostly good, being adept at this sort of thing, as are the Cruise Directors. Go with the flow!:)

That's a great answer, thank you! We are not madly sociable (I like that), either. I guess I should say that I'm a bit madder than she in this regard, however. LOL! Now that I've received an education from posts here, I like the idea of us being received at a hosted table! :)

Hopefully he will be on your cruise, but I'm sure whoever does the renewal of your three-day old vows will be wonderful. :)

I don't know if you've ever seen his blog, some nice pics of Odyssey and her officers and crew here:

http://www.captainmarkdexter.com/ship-blogs/seabourn-odyssey-2014-med/

Excellent. Thank you. I say the renewal thing in jest because we originally thought of being married on board, but there is no one officially sanctioned to perform the service, unless you bring your own clergy/magistrate aboard with. We subsequently decided to marry in Prague prior to the cruise and when we related that to Seabourn, they suggested the "renewal" of vows to the clink of champagne glasses! None for the Captain!!!

Edited by 4yanx

Perhaps I am naive or just don't understand, but why would couples want to sit at a "hosted table" if the purpose of such tables is to accommodate and make more comfortable those singles cruisers seeking dinner companions and possibly new friends?

Because singles may still want to dine and become new friends with people who aren't single? ;)

Don't worry... it's not contagious!

Edited by jenidallas