Chichen Itza

Cruisetrekker

It is a 3 hour drive from Playa del Carmen to Chichen Itza. A bus might take a bit longer than a car. You will first need to take a 45 minute ferry ride to Playa del Carmen. Of course, depending on when you dock, you may have to wait for the ferry as well. The ferry is a short distance from the cruise pier.

It is a LONG trip from Cozumel...

Do you dock in Progresso? That makes getting there a lot easier. (It's about a 2 hour bus ride.)

Edited by skittl1321

It is LONG... very long trip. I have done it on my own, from Cozumel, renting a car in Playa del Carmen and driving over. We spent the night then went to Chichen Itza the next day, spent maybe 3 hours, then returned to PDC and Cozumel on the ferry. There is no way I would EVER do that all in one day!

Chichen Itza is a magical place, but you cannot really see it in 1 hour, which is about all the time you would have there. It is huge and walking around takes time. Do yourself a favor and see it when you can spend a couple of days rather than by a quickie cruise ship tour.

You are quite lucky HAL is offering the Chichen Itza excursion on yours because it's only offered on selected sailing due to the length (about 11-12 hours).

Please don't even consider going on-your-own -- take the ship's excursion!

A very long time ago we took this excursion on another cruise line. Our bus broke down and there were other delays as well ... took about 15 hours. We were about 3 hours late getting back ... but the ship was there waiting for us.

Chichen Itza is amazing. Other Mayan Ruins pale in comparison. While we would not want to do it again, we are so glad we did. :)

LuLu

The OP has cruised mega times and is well aware Cozumel is an island.

The question is about the excursion HAL is offering to Chichen Itza and has now posted it on the HAL forum where helpful answers are being given. :)

LuLu

The OP has cruised mega times and is well aware Cozumel is an island.

The question is about the excursion HAL is offering to Chichen Itza and has now posted it on the HAL forum where helpful answers are being given. :)

LuLu

The only reason I mentioned it was an island is that the OP seemed confused by having been given the drive time from Playa del Carmen. I see now, that that was in response to asking if they dock in Progresso- which they don't this cruise.

Only one person on the HAL forum actually gave a time, 11 hours round trip, but that isn't just travel time- which is what the OP asked for. (It didn't appear the OP was asking for total length of the excursion, since they specifically said travel time.)

This blog: http://www.chriscruises.com/2014/01/exciting-really-mayan-ruins-chichen-itza/ states it is an 11 hour excursions with 7 hour travel time; which, is basically what I said with approx 3 hour drive from Playa + 45 minute ferry.

Most of the talk on the HAL forum is chatter just like this one, because it appears not many people have done this excursion. One person recommends flying. If this poster does mega-cruises, I'd highly recommend this excursion from a different port. It is a pain in the butt to get there from Cozumel. If getting there from Cozumel is a once in a lifetime chance, well, take it- but if you cruise regularly, why subject yourself to that much time on a bus, when other ports make it much easier? Get a cruise that goes to Progresso and cut the travel time in half.

Edited by skittl1321

Thank you all for your responses ! I do not know when I will be cruising again in this area ...even though I have been here several times..

I will take the chance to spend alot of time travelling to Chichen Itza . I am sure a taste of the place is better than never seeing it at all !

My question was directed at someone who had done the HAL tour . I thought maybe they could break down that 11 hours into travel time , shopping tiime and possibly what the box lunch contained ..

I know there are multiple vendors and was hoping to see what someone paid for a small carved mask ..

Happy sailing to all ... Lee

Carved masks for sale can range dramatically in price dependent of quality. We have seen very bad ones for $10 and fabulous ones (which we bought) for $50-70. There are decent ones there at Chichen Itza outside area in parking lot but we aware of how to check for quality. Some there are soaked in gasoline to make them darker color, some are made of multiple pieces of wood then pegged together (look at back to see if you can tell). And always always negotiate the price... they always start high and will come down.

We have over a dozen Mayan masks and wood carvings now in our collection... bought them there at Chichen Itza, in Cozumel, and in Roatan. We plan to add a few more this next trip, too.

Prices for crafts at CI are inflated, and for lesser quality in general, but perhaps not more than other heavily touristed destinations on the Yucatan peninsula. There is a lot of colorful pottery, for example, but not the best quality, as seen elsewhere. Lots of cheap trinkets that are good souvenirs for all and sundry at home. The lanes and spaces between architectural features around the edge of the main pyramid clearing are literally lined with souvenir vendors--multiple hundreds. I took photos of some fairly intricate unpainted wood masks that impressed me (a crafts person) and that I remember being about U$12-20 (equivalent). I bargained lightly (I'm not good at this.) for a medium sized (10" or so and 5" in diameter) detailed, carved wooden sculpture with the artist, to about 300 pesos (U$20), which probably was still quite a lot. :-)

Enjoy your shopping!

The only reason I mentioned it was an island is that the OP seemed confused by having been given the drive time from Playa del Carmen. I see now, that that was in response to asking if they dock in Progresso- which they don't this cruise.

Only one person on the HAL forum actually gave a time, 11 hours round trip, but that isn't just travel time- which is what the OP asked for. (It didn't appear the OP was asking for total length of the excursion, since they specifically said travel time.)

This blog: http://www.chriscruises.com/2014/01/exciting-really-mayan-ruins-chichen-itza/ states it is an 11 hour excursions with 7 hour travel time; which, is basically what I said with approx 3 hour drive from Playa + 45 minute ferry.

Most of the talk on the HAL forum is chatter just like this one, because it appears not many people have done this excursion. One person recommends flying. If this poster does mega-cruises, I'd highly recommend this excursion from a different port. It is a pain in the butt to get there from Cozumel. If getting there from Cozumel is a once in a lifetime chance, well, take it- but if you cruise regularly, why subject yourself to that much time on a bus, when other ports make it much easier? Get a cruise that goes to Progresso and cut the travel time in half.

Thank you for the link .. I enjoyed watching it :)

Prices for crafts at CI are inflated, and for lesser quality in general, but perhaps not more than other heavily touristed destinations on the Yucatan peninsula. There is a lot of colorful pottery, for example, but not the best quality, as seen elsewhere. Lots of cheap trinkets that are good souvenirs for all and sundry at home. The lanes and spaces between architectural features around the edge of the main pyramid clearing are literally lined with souvenir vendors--multiple hundreds. I took photos of some fairly intricate unpainted wood masks that impressed me (a crafts person) and that I remember being about U$12-20 (equivalent). I bargained lightly (I'm not good at this.) for a medium sized (10" or so and 5" in diameter) detailed, carved wooden sculpture with the artist, to about 300 pesos (U$20), which probably was still quite a lot. :-)

Enjoy your shopping!

Did you pay in pesos or dollars ? Should I exchange my dollars and bring pesos ?

Vendors there at CI and Cozumel with take both, dollars or pesos.

as far as selection... we bought a large rectangular wood carving plaque at CI featuring CI itself. It was something we had not seen in our previous 6 trips to Cozumel so we had to buy it. As far as mask selection, as I said before, there are carvings from $10 to $200, all depending on quality and size. Everyone should be able to find one they like and can afford. Just look at all the vendors, there are dozens and dozens spread throughout the park as well as outside in parking lot.