Group of 13 need help in St. Thomas!

SportsMomof4

We were thinking about the turtle cove sail & snorkel thru Carnival. Not sure if that would work for us since there is no beach time.

Looked into Island Marketing & their catamaran & snorkeling excursion but haven't seen any reviews.

All charter boats only accommodate up to 6 so that wont work.

We don't get into port until 1 pm that day with 3 ships already there & I am concerned beaches will be packed.

We are looking for beach time, snorkeling, activities, food & drinks for ages 8-48 with 8 teenagers.

Any help?? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

We are looking for beach time, snorkeling, activities, food & drinks for ages 8-48 with 8 teenagers.

Yes you are in port on a fairly busy day (15,500k pax), and with 3 other ships arriving before you the more popular beaches will tend to be crowded, you’re right. You’re in port with OAS, Disney Fantasy, and Celebrity Reflection, 2 of which arrive at 8AM and the other at 10. They do leave before you between 5 and 7PM but not a lot of help there either – sorry!

Some charters/private daysails take more than 6 ppl but your late arrival doesn't work with those I know of, and there is typically no beach time on these.

Looking at beaches, since it’s not one of the busiest port days I would consider just hopping a taxi to Sapphire Beach which has everything you want along with a gorgeous beach and abundant shade. There’s room to spread out there as compared to Coki and Secret Harbor, your other options, and being home to a condo resort and not vendors it doesn’t tend to get as crowded there. Just a thought.

Otherwise consider the champagne cat sail or other ship excursion to STJ that includes beach time or free time to go to the beach. But consider Cinnamon Bay, as Trunk is one of the beaches that attract many people.

Good Luck! :)

No, but you will find many stores right at your dock at Havensight. Many of the stores in town have a store at Havensight.

Another option is going to Trunk or Cinnamon Bay on St John and shopping in Cruz Bay after. You will spend another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time though.

A beach on St Thomas followed by shopping at Havensight (or vice versa) would be easier.

Sportsmom, I see you're traveling during peak holiday time, and also during the time when the Christmas winds may be particularly strong. I think you should have a plan b beach in case the wind is too high to enjoy Sapphire.

Coki, though probably will be more crowded, is in a cove so water is calmer. Lots of food, drink, and activity options.

We would avoid Coki that day but Secret Harbor is a more protected bay. But it's hard to change beaches without checking out the water and then taking a taxi. SH doesn't have the shade for day visitors like Sapphire, and chairs and umbrellas are more limited. But if you choose SH first you can reserve those ahead of time, and SH has a beach restaurant.

Hard to predict the weather that day unfortunately.

I recommended Coki, because the OP has teenagers and wants activities. Coki has jet skis, banana boat, etc to keep them happy. Secret Harbor is more laid back so they may get bored.

I hear surf advisories on St Thomas' online radio stations and see them mentioned on online news sites. I have often wondered how/if the cruise lines notify passengers of the various advisories. I've asked a few people, but nobody has an answer.

I'm going to try to get into the habit of checking various weather sites to see how they issue advisories, and may start posting them online if I see any reported.

The taxi drivers will not alert visitors to an advisory. They will take you where you tell.them to take you regardless of conditions. That's why it always pays to check local news at your destination and have a plan b wherever you travel.

I recommended Coki, because the OP has teenagers and wants activities. Coki has jet skis, banana boat, etc to keep them happy. Secret Harbor is more laid back so they may get bored.

I hear surf advisories on St Thomas' online radio stations and see them mentioned on online news sites. I have often wondered how/if the cruise lines notify passengers of the various advisories. I've asked a few people, but nobody has an answer.

I'm going to try to get into the habit of checking various weather sites to see how they issue advisories, and may start posting them online if I see any reported.

The taxi drivers will not alert visitors to an advisory. They will take you where you tell.them to take you regardless of conditions. That's why it always pays to check local news at your destination and have a plan b wherever you travel.

MS411, there are 2 reason I disagree with you on Coki - the group is docking at 1PM, andit's a busy port day.

As far as the weather and sea conditions, ya just never know, and we'd head for Sapphire with no concerns. But Coki is an option if a crowd isn't a concern.

Edited by blue_water

A plan B is always a good idea! Just that time is limited. But yes Coki offers more than SH for kids activities as long as the folks don't mind a much busier beach. We love Coki after hours as it's very intimate when quiet. Sapphire is such a nice beach to relax on during the day though with the island views and natural shade...But there are great choices! :)