Savings Tip

Italy52

Google is your friend.

Most folks buy them on-line so they have them prior to the trip. But be sure to look at the offerings to see if you can use enough coupons to pay for the book.

http://www.toursaver.com/

http://www.alaska-discounts.com/northern-lights/

I discovered in one of the newsletters that I signed up for that the Toursaver Book is offer a discount through February 17, 2015. Great deal! Move fast!

540x720xtoursaver-768x1024.jpg.pagespeed.ic.xtqwYc81dv.jpg

Save $20 on the TourSaver when you purchase by Tue., Feb. 17, 2015 at 11:59pm.

Enter “SAVE20″ on the order page where the Coupon Code box is displayed!

Just a word of warning on Toursaver. Some of these offers are capacity controlled, as in, your buy the Toursaver book and then find out the 2-for-1 you want is not available.

As a specific example, I inquired about this offer:

"2-for-1 Offer: Receive one three-hour whale watching tour FREE with purchase of an accompanying tour. Value up to $160.00"

Here is the response I got yesterday:

"The Toursaver has already been used for a reservation on 22 June and I'm unable to book anymore at the discounted price. Thankfully, you haven't already bought your book in plans of using it for the whale watch. Please let me know if you would like to go ahead with your plans for the whale watch."

Note that they were happy to sell me the tour at the regular, full price. But not the 2-for-1 Offer. Fortunately, I haven't bought the book.

Just a word of warning on Toursaver. Some of these offers are capacity controlled, as in, your buy the Toursaver book and then find out the 2-for-1 you want is not available.

As a specific example, I inquired about this offer:

"2-for-1 Offer: Receive one three-hour whale watching tour FREE with purchase of an accompanying tour. Value up to $160.00"

Here is the response I got yesterday:

"The Toursaver has already been used for a reservation on 22 June and I'm unable to book anymore at the discounted price. Thankfully, you haven't already bought your book in plans of using it for the whale watch. Please let me know if you would like to go ahead with your plans for the whale watch."

Note that they were happy to sell me the tour at the regular, full price. But not the 2-for-1 Offer. Fortunately, I haven't bought the book.

Yes, thank you for the reminder, of this wrong assumption some people make. Unlike many coupons that you just show up and use, it's different in Alaska. Many of the coupons are capacity controlled. The smaller volume tours fill up quickly with the coupon use. When filled, no more coupons are accepted. ALWAYS make any reservations in advance, with coupons, before you purchase the coupon book. (most allow you to do this).

Also, most of the excursions are heavily weather dependent. I decided against the tour book because I would buy the tour book, book the excursion and if the excursion got canceled due to bad weather or sea conditions I would have bought the coupon book for nothing. Not everybody thinks like me, but for me it was an added risk.

We bought the Toursaver book for our 2009 cruise to AK, but before we bought, I went online and found the coupons that we wanted to use. I then called the excursion vendors to book our excursions letting them know in advance that we would be using the coupon if they had not already had a reservation by someone else also using the coupons.

Fortunately for us, both excursions that we wanted to use the book/coupons with were available so we booked. THEN we ordered the Toursaver book and used the coupons when we took our excursions.

I would not advise buying the book before you pre-reserve your excursion(s) and letting the excursion vendor know that you would like to use the coupons.