Breakfast??

MrsAReid

Hello. My family and I will be traveling soon to the Bahamas. I wanted to know during breakfast time through at the Lido Deck at the buffet can you take your food back to your cabin or do you have to sit and eat it there? We've never did it before but now DH and I have kids so wanted to know if this is an option.

We typically prefer breakfast in the MDR to avoid the Lido. And sometimes we just order room service. But sometimes we want something quick and hot. Which is why we like rooms that are aft-ish. Zip up a few flights of stairs, grab some food and take it back to the room. This usually happens on port days.

To make breakfast even better, call room service and have your beverages (coffe, milk, juices), cold cereals and pastries delivered to your cabin. Go to the Lido and fill your plates with hot food and return to your own cabin for your am feast. No charge for room service just a tip of $2-$3 dollars. Enjoy and have fun!

oh another thought, be advised they've moved away from the trays in favor of large plates / platters. If its just you or dh getting food for all of you that may not work well. Order room service the day before and you can use that tray to bring back breakfast :)

You can take food or drink anywhere, pretty much! However, do try the dining room for breakfast....it's much nicer than eating in your cabin or the buffet. The DR is VERY CASUAL for breakfast and lunch...shorts/flip-flops are fine!

Thank You all for the information. DH and I love the MDR breakfast but since Our youngest is only a few months old then we would love to eat in our room just in case I have to b. feed. Thanks again and Wow....bigger plates means more food...LOL Are the bigger plates on all ships or just on the newer ones?

Are kids are a little older now but we have been taking them to the MDR for breakfast since they were 2. As another poster stated, very casual and the service is pretty quick.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Edited by amyh13

oh another thought, be advised they've moved away from the trays in favor of large plates / platters. If its just you or dh getting food for all of you that may not work well. Order room service the day before and you can use that tray to bring back breakfast :)

I miss the trays. Great tip :)

I bring food back from the Lido to the room all the time.

One tip: As soon as I get to my room on the first day, I call room service and order about 4 or 5 orders of chocolate chip cookies. When they arrive, I put them in a ziplock bag that I brought with me. That way we can have a quick snack anytime we want during the week. I save the plate cover they bring and hide in in the cabinet. Any time we want to go to the lido and bring food back, we take that plate cover with us and reuse it all week.

I personally prefer the made-to-order omelettes in the Lido than the MDR breakfast. They're SO SLOW in there, even when almost empty. I used to get up early and have my "first" breakfast by myself, and take some tea and something light back to the cabin for DD once she dragged herself out of bed.

Many ships have an outdoor dining area that isn't by the main pool area and is quite pleasant to sit and have breakfast. It isn't terribly loud in the morning.

I avoid the main pool areas at all times, but especially on the ships with the blaring giant TV. I stay mostly in inside cabins, so certainly don't want to go back to my cabin to eat.

But, yes, you can take a plate of whatever with you. Rather than hoarding trays or room service covers in your cabin (no room!), you can just grab a cereal bowl or a 2nd plate to cover your food.

I would like to make a suggestion. If you do take food back to your cabin from the Lido deck, I would take the empty plate back also. There is nothing grosser than stepping around half eaten food sitting on the floor outside of a cabin. I have also seen food kicked around the hallway that people stepped on by not seeing the plates on the floor.

Wow...makes sense. Food waste will probably decrease. Same reason why buffet-style cafeterias in U.S. colleges and universities began discontinuing the use of trays.

I dont know if the big plates create less waste-seems to create more, as psychologically people feel that they have to fill up the whole plate. And then dont eat but one quarter of what is there. And it makes for trips, lets see you have the full plate, and now you have to get something to drink. and then there's coffee. Made for one trip with a tray, and two trips with using hands only-I too recommend ordering the drink part through room service. Cruise happy!

I would like to make a suggestion. If you do take food back to your cabin from the Lido deck, I would take the empty plate back also. There is nothing grosser than stepping around half eaten food sitting on the floor outside of a cabin. I have also seen food kicked around the hallway that people stepped on by not seeing the plates on the floor.

:confused:I don't know why ppl do that. The Room Steward has always cleaned up the trays/plates etc. from inside the room. I would guess s/he would be the same one who removes it from the hallway. So why do that?

:confused:I don't know why ppl do that. The Room Steward has always cleaned up the trays/plates etc. from inside the room. I would guess s/he would be the same one who removes it from the hallway. So why do that?

I think putting tray in hall is habit from hotels, and some cabins have very little space for tray I am guessing.

One tip: As soon as I get to my room on the first day, I call room service and order about 4 or 5 orders of chocolate chip cookies. When they arrive, I put them in a ziplock bag that I brought with me. That way we can have a quick snack anytime we want during the week. I save the plate cover they bring and hide in in the cabinet. Any time we want to go to the lido and bring food back, we take that plate cover with us and reuse it all week.

Ohhh this is pure genius [emoji1]. Will definitely give this a shot.. Thanks for sharing the tip!!

Good idea :D

Thanks for the great tip about the cookies- I love those cookies and just can't get enough of them. :)