saver fares

dan dan

The close equivalent in The USA is called a flash fare. It's usually less than 90 days from sailing and you pay in full and can't get any OBC (except military or carnival shareholder) and you can't use a "future cruise credit or onboard booking" or whatever it is called. They trot them out regularly for some of the Eastern seaboard cruises or off peak transatlantics. Often a winter TA will be $599 for a balcony.

Yes, although in 15 cruises I only caught a flash sale once, and that for a suite on a Princess ship in 2011. The cost for a similar itinerary was about the same as a Britannia balcony on QM2. I'm certainly not expert in the matter, but I think the best opportunity for catching a flash sale is through a travel agent rather than the cruise line - correction welcomed. Thanks, -S.

I always find the great deals before my TA knows they exist.

We are registered for e-mails from Princess and Cunard and I also check the Cruise Critic Deals and the Princess Dream Deals regularly. Right now, for instance, Princess has an 11-day partial Panama Canal transit for $580 in a balcony, with an additional $100 OBC.

I already have another cruise booked for that time frame, or I would be sorely tempted. There is no mention on this cruise that you cannot use FCC OBC and I don't remember that from any previous deals that I have found, but maybe they weren't true Flash Sales.

After I find a deal that interests me, I send it to my TA and let her work out all of the nitty gritty details.

I always find the great deals before my TA knows they exist....After I find a deal that interests me, I send it to my TA and let her work out all of the nitty gritty details.

You have the ideal combination of both time and money. Often those who have the money don't have the time and vice versa.

I don't begrudge those who can travel last minute and/or get great deals. As mentioned before however, there are those who demand ultra low prices while being disconnected from the financial realities of running a business.

Two itineraries that Cunard dropped in recent years are NY- Southampton- NY B2B transatlantics and NY- Caribbean -NY sailings outside the Christmas/ New Year voyage. Based on passenger demand there will be both in 2015. These will disappear in 2016 if they don't sell well and/or those who do board are frugal in their on board spending.

A cruise industry insider often posts on these boards offered the business perspective. The industry, he claims, breaks even on fares and makes money from on board spending. Those who get on board at reduced rates tend, to use his quote, "keep any money saved in their pockets". So from the business angle their is not only the lower fare revenue but the attraction of a demographic that is very disciplined in their discretionary spending.

Edited by BlueRiband

. Those who get on board at reduced rates tend, to use his quote, "keep any money saved in their pockets". So from the business angle their is not only the lower fare revenue but the attraction of a demographic that is very disciplined in their discretionary spending.

Yes, we noticed the on board shops and bars not exactly heaving on QE recently. Obviously $100 pp is a loss for the company who can only search for profits from the early bookers. The saver fair passengers are, as you say the least likely to put hands in pockets very often.

This could well be the reason for the attraction of the short "booze cruises" at least then the bar sales should be healthy.

David.

You have the ideal combination of both time and money. Often those who have the money don't have the time and vice versa.

I don't begrudge those who can travel last minute and/or get great deals. As mentioned before however, there are those who demand ultra low prices while being disconnected from the financial realities of running a business.

Yes, this is true, and, believe, me we are extremely grateful for our good fortune, most of which was achieved by a lot of hard work and careful planning. :p The other element which make travel particularly easy for us is the fact that we accumulated millions of miles and hotel points during our working years, so we don't have to consider the cost of flying or staying in hotels before and after the cruise. If we can't find reasonable award travel, then we just don't go. We both plan on living for quite some time (by the grace of God) so there is always a next time.

My best advice to everyone is to plan well for your retirement, both in terms of money and health, so it will last a long, long time and you will be able to enjoy it to the hilt. We delayed our retirement until I was 70 and DH was 72, so we would have a few extra years to pad our retirement accounts. It is certainly the best job I have ever had. :D

Edited by PunkiC

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone on a saver fare actually been refused a port bus?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our recent cruise on QV it would be announced in the ship's paper the night before a port that the shuttle would cost x dollars and that everyone would be charged. In fact those who paid the Cunard fare were not charged for these shuttles. As you got on the shuttle bus each time, your cruise card was scanned with a little scanner. The amount was then added to your on board account if you paid a saver type fare. Nobody got on without their card being scanned that I saw.

Camgirl, can you remember how much you were charged for the shuttles? Was it the same in every port?

Also, were you charged for EVERY port? It's my understanding that sometimes the city pays for the shuttles in order to get the passengers in and spending money.

Camgirl, can you remember how much you were charged for the shuttles? Was it the same in every port?

Also, were you charged for EVERY port? It's my understanding that sometimes the city pays for the shuttles in order to get the passengers in and spending money.

Hi fantasy,

I might be wrong but I have a feeling it was about 8 or 9$ each way. It was not charged at every port. Only 2 or 3 of the ports we visited out of 7. One of the ports was such a ridiculously short journey it was annoying, but for the others it seemed reasonable, even cheap. I seem to remember it was only charged on the first out and return. If you went out again I think it was free. We were not charged, having paid the Cunard fare on this occasion, so I am trying to remember what others were saying and what I read.

Tell me if this makes good sense: (we are in the USA)

We book a long way (a year or even more) in advance and get the cabin we want, etc. Then we watch the fares and since we can cancel (without penalty of any kind) anytime up to 90 days before the voyage just jump to the lower fare and go with it. Of course after 90 days out we are locked in and live with the results.

Anyone have a better idea on how to book a "bargain"....................

having just booked a saver fare I was disappointed to find that I could not even make a preference to dinning time. Because of my health dinning at 8pm is just too late so visits to the Britannia may be very few. Plus additional costs for shuttle buses.

Although disappointed I was explained this at the time of booking so one takes a choice. But this led me to thinking , how long before saver fares have to pay a cover charge for Britannia, or to use the gym , room service, etc.

I hope Cunard do not continue this trend Ryan air style ,,

You say everything was explained to you, so I have no sympathy with your problem, sounds like you want the same privileges given to people who pay the full fare, by paying the saver fare. Live in the real world:confused:

Tell me if this makes good sense: (we are in the USA)

We book a long way (a year or even more) in advance and get the cabin we want, etc. Then we watch the fares and since we can cancel (without penalty of any kind) anytime up to 90 days before the voyage just jump to the lower fare and go with it. Of course after 90 days out we are locked in and live with the results.

Anyone have a better idea on how to book a "bargain"....................

As you say, you are from the USA. When we book in UK we pay a non refundable deposit, so in reality we are stuck with our choice and when we watch the fares coming down we also watch steam coming out of the top of our heads.

David.

Hi fantasy,

I might be wrong but I have a feeling it was about 8 or 9$ each way. It was not charged at every port. Only 2 or 3 of the ports we visited out of 7. One of the ports was such a ridiculously short journey it was annoying, but for the others it seemed reasonable, even cheap. I seem to remember it was only charged on the first out and return. If you went out again I think it was free. We were not charged, having paid the Cunard fare on this occasion, so I am trying to remember what others were saying and what I read.

There is a link hidden deep on the Cunard website (cannot find it at the moment) which specifies the shuttle bus arrangements for all their ports. As has been noted, in many places the city or port authority pay for the bus. If you can find the link, it specifies the ports which are chargeable; happily, there are fewer than you would think!

I certainly hope this too, but I think it's best not to rub their noses in it. I now try to say as little as possible about the great bargains I've found in the past because I don't want to spoil the happiness of others who have not managed to find such a good deal, or who have life/family constraints that cause them to need to book way ahead.

My advice (which I am trying to follow now) would be: The only times to mention great bargains are in posts that tell others WHERE to look for them (but don't mention how low a price you've paid in the past), or posts to alert others to a bargain that has just come up (and in that case name the price).

You mean the £750 Solo Occupancy Balcony Round Trip Transatlantic for November 2012 advertised . :D

Edited by Pennbank

There is a link hidden deep on the Cunard website (cannot find it at the moment) which specifies the shuttle bus arrangements for all their ports. As has been noted, in many places the city or port authority pay for the bus. If you can find the link, it specifies the ports which are chargeable; happily, there are fewer than you would think!

This One !

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/on-shore/Port_Shuttle_Info

https://ask.cunard.com/resources/carnivaluk/on-shore/CU_Shuttle_Information

Edited by Pennbank

Great stuff! Yes as I said, the majority are not chargeable.

Indeed the only chargeable ports I see (although no doubt subject to change) are:

ALEXANDRIA

ALICANTE

ALMERIA

BARCELONA

CHERBOURG

DARWIN

DUBLIN

DUBROVNIK

DUNEDIN

GDYNIA

HAMBURG

HELSINKI

HONFLEUR

HONG KONG

HONOLULU

IBIZA

KLAIPEDA

LA PALMA

LANGKAWI

LANZAROTE

LE HARVE (PARIS)

LIMASSOL

LISBON

LOS ANGELES

MADEIRA

MALAGA

MARSEILLE

MAURITIUS

MYKONOS

ODESSA

PALMA (MAllORCA)

PENANG

PORT EVERGLADES

PORTIMAO

PRAIA DA ROCHA

SAN DIEGO

SORRENTO

ST VINCENT

STOCKHOLM

TALLINN

TRONDHEIM

VALENCIA

WELLINGTON

WHITSUNDAY ISL.

VALENCIA

Many of these are only on world voyages anyhow.

You mean the £750 Solo Occupancy Balcony Round Trip Transatlantic for November 2012 advertised . :D

Was that the price? I remember it as being very low. I was so disappointed because I couldn't take advantage of it, having already booked and paid thousands for another cruise at the same time.

It's only been in the last few months that I've worked out my policy of not talking about low fares as I don't think it helps anyone.

Edited by fantasy51

Was that the price? I remember it as being very low. I was so disappointed because I couldn't take advantage of it, having already booked and paid thousands for another cruise at the same time.

It's only been in the last few months that I've worked out my policy of not talking about low fares as I don't think it helps anyone.

I agree. I hate it when some guests get around to asking what one paid, I try not to answer thinking it is quite rude.

However I do talk about it with close friends.

Talking about savings, I think that the USA and Germany had the best offers this year.

Edited by Pennbank

Talking about savings, I think that the USA and Germany had the best offers this year.

People have certainly quoted some good prices on these boards. The UK had some fantastic last minute solo fares last year in November and December, but this year is nowhere near as good. Last year they cut out the solo supplement but this year they haven't.

Does anyone know when you have booked a guarantee cabin when you get allocated it. To be honest I don't really care where we get as long as it's a balcony, I just like to know where it's going to be, just makes me get into the holiday spirit more.

Does anyone know when you have booked a guarantee cabin when you get allocated it. To be honest I don't really care where we get as long as it's a balcony, I just like to know where it's going to be, just makes me get into the holiday spirit more.

Usually Not Later then 2 weeks before sailing.