Passport for teenager?

SantanaTto

We are going to Bermuda on 10/2 and were thinking about taking our 16 year old son with us. Problem is that he does not have a passport. Last year, we went to Bermuda with him and he only needed a photo ID to travel. Does anyone know if his ID would be enough this time? I am not sure what the exact requirements are.

Thanks!

We are going to Bermuda on 10/2 and were thinking about taking our 16 year old son with us. Problem is that he does not have a passport. Last year, we went to Bermuda with him and he only needed a photo ID to travel. Does anyone know if his ID would be enough this time? I am not sure what the exact requirements are.

Thanks!

\

Yup, like previous poster said, he will need his birth certificate (or a certiifed copy thereof) to get back into the US

Aside from travel out of the country, you can use the passport as photo ID on domestic flights. Our 14 YO is going to Atlanta with a church group this fall - first time he's flown without one of us - so he'll be taking the passport as his ID.

• 4 weeks later...

A minor child can travel with a birth certificate and a photo ID when traveling without their parents if that travel begins before the new passport requirements begin next year. But, both parents must give the adults the minor is traveling with a notorized letter giving the adults permission to take the child out of the country and giving them permission to make emergency medical decisions. If the minor child doesn't have that letter, they will be refused boarding.

Don"t rush out an get a passport for a sixteen year old unless you have to, they only last 5 years and the cost difference is minimal wait to get them a ten year adult when they are 18.

When you apply at age 16 or older, the passport is good for 10 years.

Just want to make sure.....I read at the State department website that the new passport requirement now does not go into effect until December 31, 2006. Here's the link: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html

I haven't pursued getting passports for our March 2006 cruise because of this. Should I get the passports anyway?

• 2 weeks later...

My mother took my 9 year old son (who has a different last name than hers) to London and Paris this summer. I took great pains in preparing a notarized letter signed by my husband and myself, giving consent for the trip as well as for medical decisions. My mother said no one ever asked for it. Same thing happened when I took my niece to Mexico. I guess you need it just in case.

Archived