Do It Now - Don't Procrastinate - Do You Want to Board That Ship?

sail7seas

Out of an abundance of caution, I travel with both when cruising. I take the passport book with me when off the ship in case I become ill or have an accident, and have to fly home.

I leave the passport card onboard in the safe in case my book is stolen or lost when in port. Then I will have the card to re-enter the US with, as long as I have only been to the areas you mentioned above.

We do this the other way: we leave the passport in the safe on the ship unless we must carry it and we carry the passport card as our government issued photo ID while off the ship. Started doing this as we rent a car to drive to the port when it is cheaper than parking and one of us mentioned as we were loading the travel wallets to go ashore: you know if we lose our DL's we cannot rent the car to get home.

We keep our passports and other important travel items in a special drawer for fast retrieval.

One note - if you get Global Entry - which also gives you TSA pre-Check you receive global entry ID card which makes a nice second photo ID to complement your passport. It works for ID at US airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Several years ago we were sixty miles from home headed for the airport. The wives were talking about the trip and passports were mentioned. About that time I heard a oh oh from my wife.:eek: As she was frantically digging through her purse I pulled off the hwy. We started to go thru luggage no passport. She had laid them on the bed in a pouch with a string that she tie's around her neck.

We called a neighbor to go over and check for us, she called back shortly no luck. We turned around and drove back home. Another good reason to fly a day early and leave home early. After looking all over the house, I happened to look behind a couch as I was coming down the hall. I spotted a tan cord with a passport pouch attached behind the couch. Our cat who the neighbor was going to watch had grabbed a cord drug the pouch down the hall and behind the couch.

Moral of story check passport date when booking cruise. Before leaving the house, passport, money, credit card and boarding pass. Also don't trust cats possibly even your dog.:)

As of late, like the last three years, our cruises have been in the Mediterranean. No choice about carrying or not carrying our passports in port as we have had to leave them with the ships' front desk for the whole cruise. In retrospect we should have probably gotten the extra card as an extra form of ID when we recently renewed our passports but without any travel or present interest in traveling to where the card can be used we opted not to get it.

As for forgetting to renew.....we work in a badge/ID intensive environment and have for decades. There's virtually no exceptions, if your badge/ID expires you don't get on the installation, in the building, and can't use your computer. Forgetting is not an option. 😳