Odds of Getting An Excursion as a First Timeer

slightlysilly

As a first time Disney cruiser, I am not able to reserve excursions until November 30th (for a February cruise). I'm looking at the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon specifically. Since most everyone who has been on a Disney cruise before will be able to make reservations before us, what are the odds that it will fill up? I've read on here that people tend to stay on the ship when it docks in Nassau, so that's good for us AND it's February so people who aren't from the arctic north won't want to swim. Do these things fill up pretty quickly? If we don't get to do the swim, I'll try for the encounter, and if that doesn't work, then we can just do the beach day. I was just wondering how likely it was to be able to get an excursion when I'm one of the last ones able to reserve.

Thanks in advance!

As a first time Disney cruiser, I am not able to reserve excursions until November 30th (for a February cruise). I'm looking at the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon specifically. Since most everyone who has been on a Disney cruise before will be able to make reservations before us, what are the odds that it will fill up? I've read on here that people tend to stay on the ship when it docks in Nassau, so that's good for us AND it's February so people who aren't from the arctic north won't want to swim. Do these things fill up pretty quickly? If we don't get to do the swim, I'll try for the encounter, and if that doesn't work, then we can just do the beach day. I was just wondering how likely it was to be able to get an excursion when I'm one of the last ones able to reserve.

Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on that particular excursion, but I have never pre-booked an excursion and have never missed out on one, the lines know from experience how many people are likely to want to do each one and generally make sure that there is enough capacity.

Thanks in advance!

We've always been able to get the excursions we wanted. Even when we were first time DCL cruisers. However, we've not tried for any of the dolphin swim excursions.

All you can do is try. And keep checking. As people can cancel their excursions up to 3 days prior to the cruise with no penalty, you never know when a spot might open up. Failing that, check with the Port Adventures desk as soon as you board to see if there's a wait list for on-ship cancellations.

As others mentioned, excursions (some more than others) aren't too much trouble to book within your window, or even on board (even if booked there are always cancellations and no-shows).

That in mind, you may save a few bucks by booking this one direct:

http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com/reservations.php

I was on Blue Lagoon Island many years ago, and some family just went again and enjoyed themselves (we've never done the dolphin encounter though). As you may or may not know, sometimes you want to book through the line to ensure you have recourse of the quality is bad, the ship won't leave without you, etc. In this case, I wouldn't hesitate booking direct if it saves some money.

Not specifically about Blue Lagoon, but one of the other dolphin encounters in Nassau:

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2013/sep/18/protests-grow-over-dolphins/

If you can live with yourself.....

ex techie

That actually works in my favor then... if we subtract the people who have already done the dolphin encounter, people who won't get off the ship, people who don't swim in February and now anti-dolphin encounter people, then I have a better chance of booking the excursion. :cool:

As others mentioned, excursions (some more than others) aren't too much trouble to book within your window, or even on board (even if booked there are always cancellations and no-shows).

That in mind, you may save a few bucks by booking this one direct:

http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com/reservations.php

I was on Blue Lagoon Island many years ago, and some family just went again and enjoyed themselves (we've never done the dolphin encounter though). As you may or may not know, sometimes you want to book through the line to ensure you have recourse of the quality is bad, the ship won't leave without you, etc. In this case, I wouldn't hesitate booking direct if it saves some money.

I will consider that if I run out of options. I'm guessing that we can get the Blue Lagoon beach excursion which will take the guesswork out of tooling around Nassau. At that point, we can see the dolphins and the sea lions if we wish. I think i'll be good either way, I just wondered how quickly these things fill up.

Thanks!

We've always been able to get the excursions we wanted. Even when we were first time DCL cruisers. However, we've not tried for any of the dolphin swim excursions.

All you can do is try. And keep checking. As people can cancel their excursions up to 3 days prior to the cruise with no penalty, you never know when a spot might open up. Failing that, check with the Port Adventures desk as soon as you board to see if there's a wait list for on-ship cancellations.

thanks Schmoo! I was trying to get as much done onshore before we left so there weren't any decisions to be made once we got on the ship. After reading the responses so far, I'm confident that we will probably be able to book the excursion, and if we aren't able to, we can go to Blue Lagoon and enjoy ourselves that way.

thanks Schmoo! I was trying to get as much done onshore before we left so there weren't any decisions to be made once we got on the ship. After reading the responses so far, I'm confident that we will probably be able to book the excursion, and if we aren't able to, we can go to Blue Lagoon and enjoy ourselves that way.

You're welcome.

BTW, it's Shmoo (no "c") :)

My wife, two kids and I did the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim. The facility is incredibly beautiful and you really do have a very intimate encounter. You will never forget the feeling of two dolphins pushing you by your feet across the lagoon. This was one of the top experiences I've had in the ocean and I've scuba dived all over the world for over 40 years.

Book this excursion as soon as your booking window opens up and you won't have any problem getting it. It was my first Disney cruise when I booked it. Also, we bought the CD picture/video package. Money well spent to capture the experience of a lifetime.

My wife, two kids and I did the Blue Lagoon dolphin swim. The facility is incredibly beautiful and you really do have a very intimate encounter. You will never forget the feeling of two dolphins pushing you by your feet across the lagoon. This was one of the top experiences I've had in the ocean and I've scuba dived all over the world for over 40 years.

Book this excursion as soon as your booking window opens up and you won't have any problem getting it. It was my first Disney cruise when I booked it. Also, we bought the CD picture/video package. Money well spent to capture the experience of a lifetime.

Thanks for that. I went on a dolphin swim in Cozumel with a friend and I would love to get the same experience for my husband and son. When we were in Hawaii, I got a video and picture CD of our experience on a snorkling excursion and it was so great because I didn't have to run around and take pictures of everything. I will probably do the same with this.

Thanks again!