Condition of Grandeur

Baxter

Hi all,

We are considering a W. Caribbean cruise on the Grandeur and it would be our first time on RCCL. My husband is concerned that the ship may be a bit "worn" -- we generally sail on newer ships. Because we need to sail out of New Orleans, our choices are the Grandeur or the Carnival Conquest. We have only sailed Princess before.

Any comments on the condition of the Grandeur?

We sailed on the Granduer the week before it went into dry dock back in October and we thought she was beautiful and in good shape. I read so many bad reviews about how she looked a little worn and torn, so I was a little worried. I also read many reviews about a sewage smell, which really worried me. I found no evidence of wear and tear. Maybe if we would have been looking real hard for it, we may have found it. As for the sewage smell, there was a small trace of a sewage smell on the 4th deck, but not bad enough to ruin anything on our cruise. I'm sure after dry dock, the ship was really spruced up and even looked better. Plus, we thought the crew on the Grandeur was fantastic. You'll have a great time on her.

Yes, she's a bit "worn" but nothing out of the ordinary for a ship as old as the Grandeur. She's still a beautiful ship with a friendly crew, and I would not hesitate to book another cruise on this ship. I've also cruised on the Conquest, and even though she's a newer ship I still prefer the Grandeur for its elegant decor and better service overall.

We cruised the GOS, out of New Orleans, in December of 2004 and was very impressed with the fine condition of the ship. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the condition of the ship a 9. We had a regular balcony room which was in great condition. The room was much nicer than the picture on the RCCL website. The food was very good both in the main dining room and in the Windjammer. The itinerary is also a lot of fun. Grand Cayman is great for snorkeling In Cozumel we went on our own to Chankanaab Park and had a greatday there. In Costa Maya took a cab to Mahajual and all got great massages much cheaper than on the ship. We had a great time on our cruise. It certainly killed the pain of turning 50. I would not hesitate to sail on her again. Bon Voyage

I just got back from a 9-day on the Grandeur and thought she was a great ship! The only issue I had was technological, lol. I took my laptop and would have loved an in-room intenet connection, but that's just me, lol! ;)

Nothing shabby about the rooms TZ200816110249692.jpg and the turn down service was wonderful--of course, my husband let me eat both pieces of chocolate, lol TZ200816072500375.jpg The pool deck looked good TZ200816101916666.jpg and the public areas are lovely TZ200816100707692.jpg

I watched crew varnish, carpet, paint and otherwise keep a full ship clean and shipshape.

We cruised the GOS, out of New Orleans, in December of 2004 and was very impressed with the fine condition of the ship. On a scale of 1-10, I would rate the condition of the ship a 9. We had a regular balcony room which was in great condition. The room was much nicer than the picture on the RCCL website. The food was very good both in the main dining room and in the Windjammer. The itinerary is also a lot of fun. Grand Cayman is great for snorkeling In Cozumel we went on our own to Chankanaab Park and had a greatday there. In Costa Maya took a cab to Mahajual and all got great massages much cheaper than on the ship. We had a great time on our cruise. It certainly killed the pain of turning 50. I would not hesitate to sail on her again. Bon Voyage

We went then too but we must not have been on the same cruise b/c we had to go to Key West not Grand Caymen

We cruised on the Grandeur in July, and I have to disagree with the previous posters--I do think the ship showed many signs of wear and tear. Certainly more than any other ship I've been on, but the other ships were newer. Did it ruin our cruise? No, of course not. I agree with previous posters that the service was very good and overall the ship is in good shape. But in some areas it is definitely showing its age--the furniture in many lounges needs replacing, our cabin (junior suite) needed some sprucing up, etc. If you are used to being on newer ships you might be bothered by this. If not, go ahead and book it!

Hi-I am cruising out of Baltimore on the Sept 11 cruise to Bermuda with my 2 sisters. We are celebrating my milestone birthday (May of this year) and could not think of a better way than this cruise. From everything I have seen and read, The GOS looks like a wonderful ship.

i have cruised the Gradeur 3 times in the past 2 years, and I thought that she was a great ship, the crew were fantastic, food good, but if you really look hard you can see some wear and tear. I have cruised other cruise lines, also on some of the newer ships, and could find faults with them all. It has never been a show stopper for me.

We sailed on the Grandeur on July 22, 2005 on the 9 night W. Caribbean cruise. It was our first cruise, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but all I can say it was THE BEST time I have ever had. I thought the ship was in great shape, looked good, comfortable, the service was terrific, the pool deck was a fun place, the shows were wonderful.

I am hoping to get a group together for another cruise in 06 and would do the Grandeur again in a heartbeat.

Whatever you decide, and you know this ............... cruising is the BEST vacation!!!!!!!!!

Have FUN.

sha88, Good to hear your first cruise was a success. Look's like you are hooked. Nothing wrong with that. But to enjoy more cruises and save some $$$, check out the RCCL VISA card and earn points toward your next trip. And, if you have not as of yet, join the Crown & Anchor Club for more savings. Get Out There! (again).

Click here for VISA info: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/dealsandmore/offer/visa.do;jsessionid=0000UF7VpudRLbi0Cxa-xAEXI9p:vnkcfls6?cS=NAVBAR

Click here for C&A:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/home.do;jsessionid=0000UF7VpudRLbi0Cxa-xAEXI9p:vnkcfls6?cS=MHDR

Archived