Just off the phone with NCL RE: HURRICANE GONZALO

bbryan5

I spoke with an NCL rep regarding this Fridays sailing of the NCL Dawn from Boston to Bermuda. She said there's not much information as of now. What confused me was, when I asked about probable diversions, she said that Florida/Bahamas would not be an option because it's too far from Boston. Is this true? From what I've been reading, Florida/Bahamas have been brought up a lot. Has anyone ever been diverted out of Boston to Florida/Bahamas instead of Bermuda?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2092225 from Sept., Cristobal. Go back to the beginning of the thread for info.

This is from NYC, not Boston.

Boston is about 100nm from Nyc, so at 18kn it's about 5 hours more each way...

Is it doable ? Yes, calling on only 2 ports would be the obvious alternative.

Weather wise, going to Bermuda is doable...but like the other poster said " I would not want to be a burden on the residents" ... the Island will be hit with winds of unbelievable force....above 110mph...

I cant see us going to Canada, that is where the hurricane will be on Sunday....Who knows....I am such a planner, this is really messing with me!! :eek:

I wouldn't expect Norwegian to know much either at this time because it is still too early. Right now it is expected to pass right over us between Fri and Sat. I'm sure by Thursday Norwegian will have a better answer for you.

I wouldn't expect Norwegian to know much either at this time because it is still too early. Right now it is expected to pass right over us between Fri and Sat. I'm sure by Thursday Norwegian will have a better answer for you.

Jeepers, good luck with Gonzalo!! I keep hoping if makes a wide turn and totally misses Bermuda!!

Yes, we were diverted from Boston to Port Canaveral and Nassau in 2010. A hurricane was expected to hit Bermuda, but ultimately the weather system did not produce much damage. As I recall, we were in Nassau six or seven hours before leaving for Boston again. We had an entire day in Florida. We had a wonderful time despite the diversion. Before we boarded, we were convinced we were going to Canada, but once we boarded, they told us our destination was the Bahamas. Don't worry. You can't change the weather. We leave from Boston on the 24th.

Just got off the phone with NCL! He advised to pack lightly... If We don't get into Bermuda, it will be Bahamas! That's certainly better than chilly Canada!

I really dont want to go to Canada, hoping that if we dont get to Bermuda, we can get to the Bahamas....

Marnie, did they say when a decision would be made?

I really dont want to go to Canada, hoping that if we dont get to Bermuda, we can get to the Bahamas....

The forecast for Gonzalo is Cat.4 hurricane, that would be sustained winds of 130-155mph :eek:

They say it will be twice as powerful then Fay....that's not good at all.

So, to call on Bermuda 2 days after this major hurricane ?

This is from NYC, not Boston.

Boston is about 100nm from Nyc, so at 18kn it's about 5 hours more each way...

Is it doable ? Yes, calling on only 2 ports would be the obvious alternative.

Weather wise, going to Bermuda is doable...but like the other poster said " I would not want to be a burden on the residents" ... the Island will be hit with winds of unbelievable force....above 110mph...

No, it's a lot more than 100nm as the crow flies. By sea, the difference in distance between Boston and Port Canaveral is more like 250 nm further than NY to Port Canaveral. That's a lot more than 5 hours. Canada and New England are more likely.

No, it's a lot more than 100nm as the crow flies. By sea, the difference in distance between Boston and Port Canaveral is more like 250 nm further than NY to Port Canaveral. That's a lot more than 5 hours. Canada and New England are more likely.

I work in shipping, and as a result of a slow day, I just popped open my distance tables! Using typical routing, NYC to Boston is 414 nautical miles, so at 18kts that would be 0.94 days.

Using the same tables, NYC to Nassau is 963nm (2.23 days), and Boston to Nassau is 1,184nm (2.74 days) so another half day at sea, or you would have to speed up to 22kts to make up the difference, so the costs may not would likely be a major factor for the cruise line.

Either way I hope you're able to have a great cruise, so much planning goes into them, to have a wrench thrown in the gears this late is not easy. Safe travels!

Edited by TheMidwestMariner

In July Hurricane Arthur passed just east of Cape Cod about midnight on a Friday. The Dawn set sail on time at 5PM, then did a slow loop in Cape Cod Bay just to the north and west of Provincetown. The Dawn then made a beeline to Bermuda and got into port about 7 hours late.

This storm is passing well to the east of Cape Cod and should produce a gale for the Canadian Maritimes Saturday into Sunday. The bigger question is what happens Friday in Bermuda. Gonzalo will be a Cat-4 storm early on Thursday but weakening to perhaps cat-2 when it is closest to Bermuda. It appears it will pass Bermuda to its west, and that puts Bermuda on the strongest side of the storm. The wave impact on the south shore beaches could be significant with a large swell continuing for 2+ days. Wind gust of 125+ mph are not out of the question, and that will leave a mess even by Sunday.

I am beginning to think the Dawn will set sail intending to dock in Bermuda, and unless they close the port you will get to see what a hurricane can do. If you are going to be in Bermuda I would be very, very, cautious on the beaches.

Edited by untailored bostonian

I work in shipping, and as a result of a slow day, I just popped open my distance tables! Using typical routing, NYC to Boston is 414 nautical miles, so at 18kts that would be 0.94 days.

Using the same tables, NYC to Nassau is 963nm (2.23 days), and Boston to Nassau is 1,184nm (2.74 days) so another half day at sea, or you would have to speed up to 22kts to make up the difference, so the costs may not would likely be a major factor for the cruise line.

Either way I hope you're able to have a great cruise, so much planning goes into them, to have a wrench thrown in the gears this late is not easy. Safe travels!

Thanks for the info!! All my plans are getting washed away, LOL

Yes, we were diverted from Boston to Port Canaveral and Nassau in 2010. A hurricane was expected to hit Bermuda, but ultimately the weather system did not produce much damage. As I recall, we were in Nassau six or seven hours before leaving for Boston again. We had an entire day in Florida. We had a wonderful time despite the diversion. Before we boarded, we were convinced we were going to Canada, but once we boarded, they told us our destination was the Bahamas. Don't worry. You can't change the weather. We leave from Boston on the 24th.

Same here. It was the NCL Spirit out of Boston. Hurricane Igor in September 2010 if I recall correctly. It was our first cruise so I remember the rough seas and the pool splashing most of it's water onto the deck.

Had a wonderful time anyway - even though it was just 2 port stops.

The Florida/Bahamas route is typically the route taken if you are unable to go to Bermuda. I would not plan for Canada.

Unfortunately, in most cases, if your cruise will be redirected, you are not provided that information until you actually check in and then you are given paperwork regarding a new itinerary and were you will be going. Go with the flow and have fun - wherever you get to go!

Two years ago in Sept. my husband and I were on royal Caribbean for our honeymoon, we arrived in port the day two days after a hurricane. It was still raining and it was really windy.

Nothing was damaged on the island and everything was open for business with the exception of a few excursions that would be dangerous with the wind. Every local we talked to was thrilled that a hurricane had pasted through. There is no natural salt free water on the island. All of their potable water comes from rain or its imported. To import water is very expensive so their always happy to get the rain. One guy said everyone picks a friends house, hunkers down and drinks till its over!

The best part was our ship was docked next to the Norwegian Gem. Their ship didn't set enough lines to hold the ship with the wind and their ship broke free and hit our ship. Luckily no one was hurt and as there was no damage to our ship our departure was delayed only an hour. There was a dent the size of a car on the back of their ship. The Captain went on the speaker to say we would be delayed because he had to get out exchange insurance cards and that when we left we would be travel a safe distance from them.

My Grandmother was scheduled to get on the gem the day we returned so it was funny to call her and say her ship hit our ship. She then call Norwegian right away who didn't know about it yet. It was all pretty funny and makes for a good story.

So with a hurricane coming just relax knowing someone is getting drinking water and you're getting a good story. The best stories never happen when everything goes right.

Also P.s. watch out for waves my husband lost his glasses from a strong wave. He still insists an octopus snatched them off his face, and that it wasn't his fault.