Help me understand - how much time in each port?

PinkDiamondGirl

We are cruising on the Nowegian Sun Northbound from Vancouver to Seward Aug 3-10, 2015. This is our first cruise. I am trying to figure out how much time we actually will have in each port, as the NCL site says we can't get off the boat til 2 hours after docking and need to be back on 2 hours prior to departure.

In looking at the excursion options, I am confused by the times listed. For example, there is one in Ketchikan that starts at 7:30AM, if the boat doesn't dock til 7AM, why would they offer an excursion through NCL that starts so close to docking time?

Can anyone help me understand what hours we will actually have in each port?

Thanks!

From NCL:

port/arrive/depart

Ketchikan/7:00 am/4:00 pm

Juneau, Alaska/10:00 am/8:00 pm

Skagway, Alaska/7:00 am/8:00 pm

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

From NCL:

port/arrive/depart

Due to security reasons, all guests must be on board 2 hours before sailing. Disembarkation usually begins 2 hours after docking. Itineraries are subject to change at any time without notice.

They are referring to embarkation/debarkation times. (First day and last day). Generally speaking you must be on board 1/2 hour to 1 hour before leaving any port depending on NCL policy. Getting off the ship is generally within 1/2 hour of arriving at a port. (Depending when the port authority clears the ship. That being said, you and 2 - 3 thousand of your best friends are all trying to get ashore at the same time from one gangway.

The last two sentences of your post from NCL refers to your initial embarkation to the ship in Vancouver, and then to your final disembarkation from the ship in Seward.

Most cruiselines require you to be back on board your ship 1/2 hour prior to the posted sailing time. Hope this clears things up for you.

Whatever time they say you arrive in port, you usually can exit the ship about 1/2 hour after that. Look at most of the tour times. If yo9u dock at 7 and most excursions leave about 7:30, then you know by 7:30 you can leave the ship. If you want to get off as soon as you can, start lining up as soo9n as the ship docks. If you are doing a ship's excursion, they will direct you where to go to exit as a group.

Cheers

Len

I was on this NCL itinerary (except for Whittier instead of Seward) twice this year, and thought it excellent. Great port times. They usually do use the AJ dock in Juneau, however, which is a long mile out of time with shuttle buses available. Just mentioning this as it does take more time.

you and 2 - 3 thousand of your best friends are all trying to get ashore at the same time from one gangway.

Yes and no. I find that with the earlier 7am arrival times, many people meander on the ship until later. So it is much easier and quicker to get off the ship at this time. With the 10am port time, I find that many more people are ready to get off the ship by then.

We are cruising on the Nowegian Sun Northbound from Vancouver to Seward Aug 3-10, 2015. This is our first cruise. I am trying to figure out how much time we actually will have in each port, as the NCL site says we can't get off the boat til 2 hours after docking and need to be back on 2 hours prior to departure.

In looking at the excursion options, I am confused by the times listed. For example, there is one in Ketchikan that starts at 7:30AM, if the boat doesn't dock til 7AM, why would they offer an excursion through NCL that starts so close to docking time?

Can anyone help me understand what hours we will actually have in each port?

Thanks!

From NCL:

port/arrive/depart

Another thing to keep in mind - if you're doing your excursions through NCL, the times become slightly less of an issue. You'll meet either on the ship and debark as a group, or you'll meet right next to the ship and they'll check your name off a list. It's highly unlikely that you'd be left behind simply because you were stuck in a line somewhere.

Yes and no. I find that with the earlier 7am arrival times, many people meander on the ship until later. So it is much easier and quicker to get off the ship at this time. With the 10am port time, I find that many more people are ready to get off the ship by then.

Absolutely a fact. Early port times do not have near the number of people who want to get off, compared to later port times. I always prefer those early times. I encountered big lines several times this summer with late arrivals, but never with early. :)

There also are many times 2 gangways set up, not a single mentioned above.

Absolutely a fact. Early port times do not have near the number of people who want to get off, compared to later port times. I always prefer those early times. I encountered big lines several times this summer with late arrivals, but never with early. :)

There also are many times 2 gangways set up, not a single mentioned above.

This is great, we are early birds so prefer being out as early as possible!

We are planning to book excursions independent of the ship, which is why I wondered about time in port. This may be our first cruise, but we are seasoned travelers.

This is great, we are early birds so prefer being out as early as possible!

We are planning to book excursions independent of the ship, which is why I wondered about time in port. This may be our first cruise, but we are seasoned travelers.

Good. I was going to mention that suggestion, but then opted to bite my tongue, since that wasn't what you had asked :)

If you are planning on a do it yourself rail tour in Skagway make sure you know exactly where you tour departs. The public doesn't board where ship passengers board and there is a 3rd loading point out by the cemetery. There can be as many as 5 trains on the track in the morning. We were on the lead train, the Lake Bennett Excursion once and the engine overheated and we just sat there till it could restart. From our vantage we had a spectacular view of engine after engine coming up the pass.