Another upsell question!

TexEm

8 days before our 4 day Island Princess cruise--we booked an interior guarantee and still no cabin assignment. Tonight we received an email from Princess offering us an upsell to a balcony (category or location not specified) for $59 per person. (original fare was very low with OBC equal to the fare).

We've never received an upsell offer before, just some small free upgrades. Does this sound like something we should take?

Thanks for any thoughts. Offer expires 10/17.

Princess made that balcony offer to several persons because they have some balconies available. Once they fill them up the offer will be gone.

I was also offered an upgrade to a balcony but my cruise is only a 3 day cruise so I am happy on the Plaza deck. If I was on a 7 day cruise I would take it. I love the Plaza deck.

I sometimes will get offers for an upgrade but I have it set up that I don't want an upgrade in the same catagory. I don't consider those upgrades. Never say yes to that type of upgrade because they will put you in a location you don't want so it is not an upgrade for you.

I hope you accepted the balcony. But you may lose your OBC. It is fun to have obc money to spend on the ship. Lucy

I am going to be the odd one out here but I honestly wouldn't take the offer. I love a balcony but I love being able to cruise more often even more. We have a very tight budget as a result. On a 4 day cruise, an additional $118 total is actually a lot of extra money for us. Our ship board account wouldn't even total that on a 4 day cruise. I would pay that to upgrade on a 7 day but not a 4 day. We do like to spend time in our room if we have a balcony but if we only had 4 days on a ship I think we would end up spending very little time there.

OP- If money isn't an issue and you think you will actually be in your room enough to get an extra $118 worth of use and enjoyment out of the balcony cabin than you should definitely take it. If not, don't feel bad letting the offer slip by. A great offer for some is not a great offer for everyone. We don't know your circumstances.

We received the same offer for the same cruise, and we are not accepting it. We like and do balconies frequently, but this is only a 4 day cruise in the middle of several back to backs. We would not use the balcony: first day too busy with getting settled, second day-off to explore the ship, third day in port, and fourth day doing things throughout the ship we didn't have time to do before. Besides, we have over $505 obc to spend on this cruise -so I'll be spending a lot of time in the stores:D

OP here--Thanks to all for your thoughtful replies, lots to consider. But we called Princess earlier today and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep and took the upsell offer for $59 each. We were able to pick the Caribe balcony we wanted, plus keep our original OBCs.

We've been to Cozumel many times, and been on the Island Princess, so we may not even get off the ship at Cozumel. I enjoy spending time on the balcony reading and watching the ocean go by, so I think we'll make use of the upsell. We're on the CB just before getting on the Island Princess, in an interior cabin (no upsell offer, no upgrade!), so will spend more time out and about the ship on that 5 day cruise.

Again, appreciated all your comments. CruiseCritic members are the best!

Mary

Princess made that balcony offer to several persons because they have some balconies available. Once they fill them up the offer will be gone.

I was also offered an upgrade to a balcony but my cruise is only a 3 day cruise so I am happy on the Plaza deck. If I was on a 7 day cruise I would take it. I love the Plaza deck.

I sometimes will get offers for an upgrade but I have it set up that I don't want an upgrade in the same catagory. I don't consider those upgrades. Never say yes to that type of upgrade because they will put you in a location you don't want so it is not an upgrade for you.

I hope you accepted the balcony. But you may lose your OBC. It is fun to have obc money to spend on the ship. Lucy

Hi LucyR

Just wanted to say Hi. Are you cruising out of LAX shortly? Remember my DH and I were on the 3 day cruise last year. And we meet at the Captains Table on NCL a year before. We are heading out of LAX on 30 Oct for a 10 day Mexico cruise on Princess.

Sorry folks, did not mean to add something different to this discussion.

Lucy is right with the upgrades.