Will I regret booking this cruise?

Mdcrews

Hello everyone! A big thank you to all of you super cool seasoned cruisers who know so much. I have a dilemma.

I booked a surprise (rather hasty and spontaneous decision on my part) cruise for my husband and I that I plan to surprise him with as his Christmas present and we will both be turning 40 in 2015. The cruise is on the NCL Star for March 17-22 from Los Angeles to Cabo San Lucas. We have never cruised before and I thought I got a smoking deal.

Will we regret this cruise because there will b a lot of spring breakers? We are not drinkers so we will not be in the bars where a lot of partying will happen. I just don't want there to b bathing suit contest and wet t-shirt contests etc. We want to enjoy a nice cruise and cruise ship and UNWIND. The last thing I want to see is a bunch of drunk kids being stupid.

Forgive me for being so blunt but we have never cruised before so I would like to know what you cruiser pros think. I realize people are on vacation and can get wild but is this particular cruise going to be worse than the norm?

Thank you for your help! [emoji51]

If a cruise to cabo is the norm for cali spring breakers then you are in for a treat

The real info you need is this...where do most Cali and Arizona etc college kids go for spring break?

If the answer is a 5 day cruise to cabo you could be in trouble

If the answer is a quick flight to cabo you could still be in trouble

If the answer is something else you will be fine

My thinking is you are definitely on a spring break cruise. Lol

Don't expect to get a lounger by the pool

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Whereas that particular cruise being a unique 5 day, Cabo only cruise, you might see more spring breakers on board. However, wet t-shirt, bathing suit contests, drinking contests are not sponsored events on NCL ships. You might see a few younger guests being a bit rowdy occasionally, but that is not ship behavior. That type of behavior is pretty much a "charter" cruise happening. Also, drinking is limited to 21+ age, unless parents are on board and approve beer and wine for 18+ kids. The ship's crew enforces reasonable behavior as necessary.

I booked this with the same thought - I am from Los Angeles area. When Star arrives in Cabo on Thurs - the Crown Princess will be leaving and no other ship will be there on the Friday. Many of our local colleges have Finals that week (March 16-20) with spring break the following week (March 23-27). High Schools in our area are not on break until after Easter.Hope this makes helps and makes sense. Best part is the Star will just be coming off drydock so it will be nice to be on Star immediately after a few upgrades. .

I booked this with the same thought - I am from Los Angeles area. When Star arrives in Cabo on Thurs - the Crown Princess will be leaving and no other ship will be there on the Friday. Many of our local colleges have Finals that week (March 16-20) with spring break the following week (March 23-27). High Schools in our area are not on break until after Easter.Hope this makes helps and makes sense. Best part is the Star will just be coming off drydock so it will be nice to be on Star immediately after a few upgrades. .

If it's just coming out of drydock, you could experience issues. We've had ships under-provisioned in terms of both crew and supplies. Things can also be a bit of a mess as they continue to work on things they didn't have time to finish.

Just an FYI.

I was on the Jewel out of Miami a few years ago in March, not even thinking about spring break!

While there were definitely spring breakers on the ship, most of them were respectable and pleasant. Truthfully, we were up early and in our cabin early as my 4yo was with us. They slept late and were up late so we rarely crossed paths.

Just keep in mind the shorter the cruise the more chance it's like a 'party boat'

I've been on several 3-5 night trips out of LA and San Diego to Ensenada, Cabo etc... during March spring break. Never had a problem. Remember teachers and other school employees are on spring break too so it's more than just college party goers. Of course each cruise is different so no one can predict what will really happen. My vote is to go for it. Ships are big with lots of places to go so even if there's a rowdy group, I'm sure you can always find something else to do or somewhere else to go onboard.

I don't think you'll have a problem. I don't recall a spring breaker in SoCal ever telling me they went on a cruise. They DO go to Cabo, but they drive or fly down.

Our first NCL cruise was a 3-day on the Sun out of Miami during Spring Break. I guess a lot of kids in TX, GA, AL, MS and FL hop on a cruise ship for a few days of partying. Over half the passengers were under 25. The parties, like the White Hot Party, were active and enthusiastic but not wild. There were no wet t-shirt contests, etc.

My suggestion is to check the cruise critic forums from the same time period last year. That might give you some indication. We usually find the reviews give quite a bit of information that is helpful in deciding which time frame and cruise ship fit our particular wants and needs.

My thought is that if you are looking for peace and quiet, you've got some big red flags raised. Short Five day cruise. Spring break. Cheap prices (I assume because you said you got a smoking deal). Itinerary that goes to Mexico (Sadly, Senior Frog's is a highlight of Mexican culture by many people). And NCL is a 'livlier' atmosphere than some other lines (that's not necessarily a bad thing).

If it's too late to cancel, DO NOT WORRY. Just plan around the problems IF they occur. Consider staying on the ship to enjoy the peace and quiet on port days (at least part of them). Eat at non standard dining times. Enjoy the less populated areas of the ship on sea days - away from the pools.

And next time you book a cruuse, talk to a good travel agent first and use their advice and booking assistance.

Any Mexican port is an absolute zoo at spring break because of cheap beer and tequila.