Canaries cruise in december

Nervous sailor

Hi Everyone,

I'm going on my first ever cruise in December from Southampton to the canary islands. I've been reading the reviews ( which was a bad thing to do as now i'm really scared/nervous of going ) about the sea conditions during December. Is the sea really that rough that you feel as though you are in a "tumble dryer"? Do you actually go into the bay of Biscay sailing from Southampton to madeira? What are the best travel sickness remedies to take? Sorry about all of the questions I just thought it would be a lot easier on a cruise ship than a little fishing boat where I cling to the sides for dear life.:eek:

Hi and welcome to CC and the fun.

Crossing the BOB is a lottery any time of year so nobody can predict really. Just make sure you have plenty of ginger tablets/sweets to suck to relieve the sickness should it strike you and enjoy your 1st cruise and then I'm betting it wont be your last. ;)

I take Meclizine (Bonine, Dramamine 2) if rough seas are expected. Then if I start to feel at all queasy, I take ginger root capsules - usually with a glass of ginger ale. A friend of mine was on that trip last trip and it was pretty rough the last day/night as they headed back to Southampton.

In the worst case scenario I just head to bed early and lying down always helps me a lot. Don't forget there is a doctor on board and if there is a rough crossing they'll give you an anti nausea tablet if you're actually being sick even if you don't have anything with you.

Some people recommend ginger but it's improtant to note that if you have any blood disorders or are on any blood-thinners then ginger can be dangerous (I can't take it myself). I have a small bottle of "Motion Eaze" which I take with me and you dab a little bit behind the ears and it really works wonders.